#1 migace

migace

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 141 posts
  • Full Name:LD

Posted 28 July 2012 - 03:14 PM

I caught this on tower's website, is it true? I did not see any mention on the manufactures web sites.

LNCPVD AMT 1/25 '70 Ford Galaxie Interceptor Police Car
5-Jul-2012 19.49 Posted Image
Late Aug

here is link:

http://www.towerhobb..._announced.html

Edited by migace, 27 November 2012 - 09:53 AM.

#2 Don Sikora II

Don Sikora II

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 05:04 PM

Yeah, it is shown on a color sell sheet that was included in an order I recently received from Auto World. it's shown with the original box art, but no release date is listed. There are several things listed on Tower that aren't on the AMT and MPC websites.

#3 Erik Smith

Erik Smith

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,799 posts
  • Full Name:Erik Smith

Posted 28 July 2012 - 06:08 PM

This is a neat kit - has some issues, but bring on the four doors! I actually found one at a hobby store 2 years ago and built this:

Posted Image

#4 migace

migace

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 141 posts
  • Full Name:LD

Posted 28 July 2012 - 06:11 PM

I bought three when the last issue came out. two are built and the other is still mint sealed. but i want more!

#5 Danno

Danno

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,428 posts
  • Full Name:Nameless Natural Luminary

Posted 28 July 2012 - 08:45 PM

Shhhhhhhhh! Don't tell Martinfan5(5)! <_<

He'll hock the baby's formula to get some of those!!

B)

#6 martinfan5

martinfan5

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,093 posts
  • Full Name:Jonathan Stephens

Posted 28 July 2012 - 08:57 PM

Shhhhhhhhh! Don't tell Martinfan5(5)! <_<

He'll hock the baby's formula to get some of those!!

B)

Haha to late, but good thing for her, she is going to be switched to milk in a few weeks. Is release going to be the police version? I am guessing so

#7 Danno

Danno

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,428 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 09:40 PM

Is release going to be the police version? I am guessing so

Yeah, probably so ... which may explain why it's called "AMT 1/25 '70 Ford Galaxie Interceptor Police Car" D'oh! :blink:

Knew you'd like it.

Now I have to go replace all those $50 price tags on my swap meet kits . . . :(

#8 martinfan5

martinfan5

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,093 posts
  • Full Name:Jonathan Stephens

Posted 28 July 2012 - 11:15 PM

Doh!! is right, I really need to stop asking dumb question , it makes me appear, well dumb :( , hey! while you are lowering price's at Danno's model mart, lower the price on that "other police car" ;) :D B)

#9 Danno

Danno

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,428 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 11:28 PM

Doh!! is right, I really need to stop asking dumb question , it makes me appear, well dumb :( , hey! while you are lowering price's at Danno's model mart, lower the price on that "other police car" ;) :D B)

I will. I'll mark it down from $50 to $49.95 ... just for you. Or, you can get two for $100! :D

#10 '70 Grande

'70 Grande

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts
  • Full Name:Mark Doolittle

Posted 29 July 2012 - 01:08 PM

A couple of questions about this kit:
Did this kit have separate pieces for it's rear suspension, (separate axle, leaf springs, shocks, etc.), or is the entire rear suspension molded directly into the main chassis piece?

Does it use a steel-wire front axle that passes thru a hole in the engine block?

Thanks!

#11 Chuck Most

Chuck Most

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,831 posts
  • Full Name:^See Above

Posted 29 July 2012 - 01:29 PM

A couple of questions about this kit:
Did this kit have separate pieces for it's rear suspension, (separate axle, leaf springs, shocks, etc.), or is the entire rear suspension molded directly into the main chassis piece?

Does it use a steel-wire front axle that passes thru a hole in the engine block?

Thanks!

Separate rear suspension- but the axle is molded to the trailing arms and exhaust. It does have a steel wire axle in front, which passes through the block- but the thing is the kit comes with the wrong engine- it's a Boss 429. If you have a Model King '71 T-Bird, the engine from that kit will fit or you can glue the hood shut and use the T-Bird's engine block off plate and make it a 'coaster'.

#12 Rob Hall

Rob Hall

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,934 posts
  • Full Name:Robert Hall

Posted 29 July 2012 - 01:41 PM

The 429 from the '69 Galaxie works well....I have a 1/2 dozen of these from the last issue and the HH issue, probably get another...love those late '60s early '70s big Fords.

#13 charlie8575

charlie8575

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,601 posts
  • Full Name:Charlie

Posted 30 July 2012 - 01:21 PM

Are the 429 in the '69 XL and the Police Interceptor different?

I remember that the Cobra Jet was wrong, but I've never seen exactly what differences are, aside from perhaps the air cleaner? I thought they were mostly internal?

Let's see...1970, so a 302/351W would also be appropriate as I remember?

Ford powerplants from this era are nothing short of mind-boggling!

Charlie Larkin

#14 Fat Brian

Fat Brian

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 934 posts
  • Full Name:Brian Croft

Posted 30 July 2012 - 04:29 PM

Here is some info on the different levels of 429 goodness available from Ford. Sean Stacey is casting the 429CJ from Revells 70 Torino kit so you could update the kit to a more modern engine mold.

429 CJ/SCJ Blocks

The Four Types of 429s
(Thanks to Dan Davis)

First was the base 429, known as the Thunder Jet (TJ). It came in T-birds and full size Fords in the late 60's and early 70's. Typically 360 horsepower. By far and away the most common -- they made 100,000+ of these. Can be ID'd be block casting numbers of C8SE, C9VE, D0VE, D1VE among others and head casting numbers of C8SE, C9VE, D0VE among others.

Then there was the 429 Cobra Jet (CJ). It was built only in 1970-71. It was only installed in mid-size (1970-71) and pony cars (1971 only). 370 HP (likely underrated), thick strong blocks and massive ports int he heads. ID'd by D0VE-A and D1VE-AA casting numbers on the block and D0OE-R on the heads. No other numbers are CJ. Not too common, maybe a total production of 15,000.

The 429 SCJ was a stronger version on the CJ. The difference was forged pistons, solid lifter cam and four bolt mains*. The rest of the info is the same. Even less common with a production of maybe 3,000.

The baddest of them all is the Boss 429. It was rated at 375HP (grossly underrated). It came in special Mustangs (and 2 Cougars) in 1969-70. It had four bolt mains, aluminum hemi-style heads and looked like no other engine. ID by casting number on the block of C9AE. The heads ID themselves. Very rare and very expensive as only about 1,200 were made.

(* Correct for 429 SCJ Torino. On 71 429 SCJ Mustang, both 2 and 4 bolt mains were possible - JB)

#15 charlie8575

charlie8575

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,601 posts
  • Full Name:Charlie

Posted 30 July 2012 - 06:21 PM

Nice guide, Brian, and thank you for that, but I'm now seeing I might not have asked the question properly.

1. Which engine is supplied in the Police Interceptor?
2. Can the kit engine be modified to be correct without having to resort to raiding another kit? If not, the promo slug from the T-Bird is sounding real good right now.

Charlie Larkin

#16 Erik Smith

Erik Smith

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,799 posts
  • Full Name:Erik Smith

Posted 30 July 2012 - 06:27 PM

I believe it is a Boss 429. It would not be easy converting it to a 429 Thunderjet (correct, anybody?).

Edited by Erik Smith, 30 July 2012 - 06:32 PM.

#17 2000-cvpi

2000-cvpi

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 567 posts
  • Full Name:Corey Sarenius

Posted 31 July 2012 - 03:06 AM

I am glad this kit is being reissued. I don't have any of the earlier issues and wasn't going to pay the crazy prices for one. I'll have to buy several to hedge against the future rise in this kits price.

Edited by 2000-cvpi, 31 July 2012 - 03:07 AM.

#18 Chuck Most

Chuck Most

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,831 posts
  • Full Name:^See Above

Posted 31 July 2012 - 03:40 AM

The Police Interceptor has the Boss 429. Which was, of course, only ever offered in the Mustang. Depending on how extensive your parts stash is, you could find some 385-series top end parts and use them on the kit block, or go with one of the engines suggested above. Anything from a base 302 to the standard (non-Boss) 429 would be appropriate. The 240 I-6 was still the base engine in 1970, so you could get one of those from Kitchen Table Resin if you wanted to make yours a true base model stripper.

#19 george 53

george 53

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,855 posts
  • Full Name:George53

Posted 31 July 2012 - 05:04 AM

Actually, they're useing a 460 block to repro the Boss 429. Soooo, I'd guess you could put the standard 460 OHV heads on the 429 block, and you'd be good ta go. Use regular ol 427/8 or 9 Ford heads, on the block. It should pass for a stock block.

#20 Gluhead

Gluhead

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts
  • Full Name:It really is Gluhead

Posted 31 July 2012 - 05:48 AM

I still have one of these from the HH reissue. It's always near the bench but I can never decide what color to paint it. I do know I'll be sticking a 302 in there, though, and saving the 429 for something else.

I know they leave a lot to be desired in the detail department, but I love these old style tools. They look great on the shelf.