#21 Chuck Most

Chuck Most

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,259 posts
  • Full Name:Charles Donald Eric Richard Jules Kasim Most

Posted 31 July 2012 - 06:00 AM

Actually, they're useing a 460 block to repro the Boss 429. Soooo, I'd guess you could put the standard 460 OHV heads on the 429 block, and you'd be good ta go. Use regular ol 427/8 or 9 Ford heads, on the block. It should pass for a stock block.

The blocks are the same- the 429 and 460 use the same block (385 series). DO NOT use 428 heads- those are FE items, and it'll just look odd. B)

#22 disabled modeler

disabled modeler

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,100 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 06:35 AM

I have one of these there nice kits but Id rather have the 70 Ford LTD 4door HT model/promo.

#23 tvandmoviecars

tvandmoviecars

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • Full Name:Don Covell Jr

Posted 31 July 2012 - 10:16 AM

wohoo.. hoping they will be at Hobby Lobby and Hobby Town USA, since I am too poor to go to any shows lately... and i could really use "more" of this... I LOOOOOVE 4 doors and Wagons!!
Posted Image
I think 2 are built, and 1 was built, but I stripped the paint for a rebuild (think that is the Hobby Heaven one.)

yes.. I know it's dusty.
Posted Image
Posted Image

this is the one that has had the body stripped... guess that leaves me only 2 left to build.. glad they are coming out again!<LOL>
Posted Image

#24 Fat Brian

Fat Brian

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 934 posts
  • Full Name:Brian Croft

Posted 31 July 2012 - 01:36 PM

Here is some police interceptor specific info. It seems the kit should have a 428 in it for 70, the 429/460 PI motor didn't start until 71.
  • From somewhere in the 1960's and up to/including the 1970 model year, the FoMoCo PI engines were FE's, typically the 428PI (which is of the FE Family, not to be confused with the 429PI, which is of the 385 Series Family).
  • In 1971, the 429PI debuted. It was basically a 429SCJ engine with D0OE-R heads, 4-bolt D0VE-A block and forged flat top pistons, etc. The SCJ intake may have had the spreadbore carb pad, though (I'm not sure)
  • In 1972, the dedicated 429PI engine was released. This engine had the 4-bolt D0VE-A block, D2OE-AB Police Interceptor heads, flat top forged pistons, and an SCJ-style intake with a spreadbore carb pad.
  • 1973 brought the 460PI. (Maybe there were still some 429PI's?) It had TRW "D"-shaped dish pistons and (I think) the D2OE-AB PI heads. Not sure what it had for a block and intake.
  • 1974 was the 460PI. Here is where I don't know what's going on. Somewhere around this time or perhaps in 1975, they went to the D3VE-A2A passenger car head.
Here is some more:

There were 2 versions of the 460 for police use. People get these confused and thus the bad wrap on these motors.

There is the 460 Police motor (basically a reg 460)
and the 460 Police Interceptor motor. (performance goodies)
Both sound the same but are differant. main differance is that the Interceptor uses an in-tank electric pump and alot of head work. (casting #'s wont disclose anything)

Forget whatever the books say. Ford did a number on these motors.. seems like every year they changed something.
You honestly dont know what you have till you take it apart.

I have a 77 460 Police Interceptor. From what i read it is just a basic 460.
When I went to rebuild it the shop called me and said it has huge valves (2.19/1.76), High performance cam and huge ports on the heads. Compression was low at around 8.5-9 to 1.
Motor was built to pass air freely.
Once rebuilt and installed in my truck, I was pulling off 14 sec 1/4 mile times, on street tires, with the 460 Police Interceptor.
my head #'s were D3VE a2a. and not even close to stock heads with the same casting number.

Thanx to a guy I met on Ebay with a 1976 Interceptor, Ive since learned alot.

Take it apart and youll find out if its a Interceptor or just a reg police.
these motors with the 3-1 gears topped out at 130+ mph.

More:

The 429 PI's would generally be a 1972 engine with an intake manifold identical to a 429 CJ except it had an odd spreadbore pattern for a ford carb that was not a quadrajet. The heads are D2OE-AB and have ports halway between CJ and standard size, with 2.19" and 1.725" valves. They also have guide plates, hardened pushrods, and CJ style rockers. The pistons are forged TRW flat tops with a large eyebrow. Basically same pistons and rods as a SCJ. The exhaust manifolds are similar to CJ/SCJ but with D2 part numbers. They have aluminum finned valve covers similar to a CJ/SCJ. The blocks could be 2 bolt or 4 bolt main with a part number of D0VE or D1VE. Just judging from what I've seen your chances are about 50/50 of getting a 4 bolt. You don't know until you pull the pan. The oil pan is also similar to CJ/SCJ being slightly deeper and baffled. They also came with an oil cooler adapter similar to that of a 71 429 SCJ mustang.
The good 460 PI's were in 73-74. They didn't have as much good stuff but still pretty nice. Pretty much all of the same information applies that I mentioned on the 429 but they had steel valve covers and a small port intake instead of the CJ sized intake. Also the pistons were TRW forged on the 460 but they had a very slight dish similar to the JE dished pistons.

Edited by Fat Brian, 31 July 2012 - 01:43 PM.

#25 plowboy

plowboy

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,735 posts
  • Full Name:Roger Hayes

Posted 31 July 2012 - 07:25 PM

I have a couple of these kits also. One was missing all of the police parts,so I began converting it into a two door. That's as far as it got. The other is complete and still sealed inside. Still, it wouldn't hurt to have another one!

#26 charlie8575

charlie8575

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,650 posts
  • Full Name:Charlie

Posted 02 August 2012 - 12:44 PM

:huh: :blink: Fords is confusin' critters....

So, let's see if I'm following this. A police car would most likely be running a 428 still? I remember seeing 429s listed in the '71 brochure, I find it interesting they would have used the 428 still for police use, but whatever.

I think I'm just going to drop a Windsor block in this and call it done. Any suggestions for a nice, close-to-correct 302/351?

Charlie Larkin

#27 Nick Notarangelo

Nick Notarangelo

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 464 posts
  • Full Name:Paul D.Notarangelo

Posted 02 August 2012 - 01:36 PM

HOW ABOUT A IN BOX REVIEW?????????????????

#28 george 53

george 53

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,867 posts
  • Full Name:George53

Posted 02 August 2012 - 01:53 PM

Charlie, the 69 Mercury Cougar Eliminator kit has a VERY nice 351 Cleveland 4 bbl with a 4spd trans in it.

#29 CorvairJim

CorvairJim

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 996 posts
  • Full Name:Jim Ely

Posted 02 August 2012 - 08:13 PM

I don't know from Ford engines! (Hey, I'm a Chevy guy - cut me a little slack here!) I got this one as a glue bomb and actually made it look better than it did when I got it... NOT! It had the hood glued shut and a Hemi rattling around loose inside. I raided an AMT '66 Mustang for various bits and pieces to finish it, including the engine.

(I apologize for the lousy photos. They were shot with an ancient, first-generation digital camera, then uploaded to and downloaded from my account on Motortopia.com since I lost the originals when my old computer had a terminal meltdown a few years ago.)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#30 Fat Brian

Fat Brian

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 934 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 01:47 PM

:huh: :blink: Fords is confusin' critters....

So, let's see if I'm following this. A police car would most likely be running a 428 still? I remember seeing 429s listed in the '71 brochure, I find it interesting they would have used the 428 still for police use, but whatever.

I think I'm just going to drop a Windsor block in this and call it done. Any suggestions for a nice, close-to-correct 302/351?

Charlie Larkin

For 1970 the inteceptor motor was still a 428SCJ variant. The 429 was available in regular Thunderjet form in non chase police vehicles. From 71 on the interceptor otor was 429 or 460 based.

On a side note, my dad had a 68 LTD with a 428 PI motor and a C6 in it. He said that car would pass everything but a gas station, the only thing around here he couldn't hang with was an L88 Vette. I imagine the extra thousand pounds of LTD had a good bit to do with that.

Edited by Fat Brian, 03 August 2012 - 01:53 PM.

#31 martinfan5

martinfan5

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,432 posts
  • Full Name:Jonathan Stephens

Posted 03 August 2012 - 02:39 PM

Ok , way to much info to take in, so my question is this
What kit can I get the proper engine out of for this kit?

#32 CEKPETHO BCE

CEKPETHO BCE

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 557 posts
  • Full Name:Andrey

Posted 05 August 2012 - 07:28 AM

Does anyone have a full list of AMT 2012 releases? I can't seem to find it anywhere. Thanks.

#33 Rob Hall

Rob Hall

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,223 posts
  • Full Name:Robert Hall

Posted 05 August 2012 - 07:33 AM

Does anyone have a full list of AMT 2012 releases? I can't seem to find it anywhere. Thanks.

Tower Hobbies listings seem as complete as anything I've seen....Round 2's site is out of date.

http://www3.towerhob... AdvancedSearch

This link is also in this thread, post #14
http://www.modelcars...showtopic=61760

Edited by Rob Hall, 05 August 2012 - 07:55 AM.

#34 CEKPETHO BCE

CEKPETHO BCE

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 557 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 08:33 AM

Tower Hobbies listings seem as complete as anything I've seen....Round 2's site is out of date.

http://www3.towerhob... AdvancedSearch

This link is also in this thread, post #14
http://www.modelcars...showtopic=61760

Thanks. I missed that post.

#35 Fat Brian

Fat Brian

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 934 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 04:06 AM

Ok , way to much info to take in, so my question is this
What kit can I get the proper engine out of for this kit?

The Revell 69 Shelby has a 428 SCJ motor in it, you could also use the 390 out of the AMT 67 Comet. The 390 and 428 shared the same block so externally look almost identical. It looks like the valve covers should be the stock stamped steel painted ones with Powered by Ford scripting and I'm not exactly sure where to find them. I'm having trouble finding any pics of the correct valve covers but check out this 67 Ford Custom 4 door to get an idea. The problem you get in to searching for Interceptor stuff is that just because a motor came out of a police car doesn't make it an Interceptor motor and most of the stuff out there is just a regular engine pulled from a cop car that people call and Interceptor but it isn't.

http://www.streetleg...ce-interceptor/

#36 CEKPETHO BCE

CEKPETHO BCE

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 557 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 10:17 AM

These make pretty cool sleepers. Can't wait to get my hands on one.

Does anyone have any cool stock looking sleepers built out of these?? Pictures are welcome.

#37 bigphoto

bigphoto

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 886 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 04:26 PM

Probably the best 429 motor for a swap would be the one from Revell's 70 Torino.

#38 Rob Hall

Rob Hall

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,223 posts
  • Full Name:Robert Hall

Posted 06 August 2012 - 04:29 PM

Probably the best 429 motor for a swap would be the one from Revell's 70 Torino.

That would probably work..the most straight forward is the one from the AMT '69 Galaxie XL..drops right in.

#39 Chuck Most

Chuck Most

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,259 posts
  • Full Name:Charles Donald Eric Richard Jules Kasim Most

Posted 06 August 2012 - 08:34 PM

Least effort for a correct engine swap would have to be the AMT/Model King '71 T-Bird- either that kit's engine or the engine block-off (if you want to glue the hood shut) literally drop right into the Galaxie chassis. Rob just mentioned the '69 Galaxie engine- that would work as well, and the '69 kit would probably be easier (and chaper) to locate than the T-Bird kit. Since the engine compartment is rather barren in this kit anyway, I usually use the block-off and glue the hood shut, though one of these days I want to go full-on and detail/correct the engine compartment and stick the Revell Torino engine in there.

#40 Junkman

Junkman

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts
  • Full Name:Christian Pamp

Posted 22 August 2012 - 07:05 AM

...It does have a steel wire axle in front, which passes through the block...

Hey, nothing wrong with that. Make the hole bigger if it doesn't properly line up with the axle.