Which 87 Iroc Camaro kit is the most detailed and best parts fitment?

• You cannot reply to this topic
10 replies to this topic

#1 FatManScaleDesigns

FatManScaleDesigns

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts
  • Full Name:ALBERTO PEREZ

Posted 02 August 2012 - 08:52 PM

I am looking to build a replica model of a real car I fell in love with. I found the wheels and everything ill need to build this car. I am gonna try a few things with this one that I've wanted to try in the past. Nothing extreme but just a couple things that I feel will make it stand out a bit.

Which kit would you choose?

#2 W-409

W-409

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,327 posts
  • Full Name:Niko Lindström

Posted 02 August 2012 - 09:28 PM

I haven't seen any other kit of '87 Camaro, than this Bigger Scale Model Kit. Of course there's Revell '85 Camaro, but I don't know the differences between '85 and '87.
Posted Image

#3 mikelo

mikelo

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 774 posts
  • Full Name:Mike Lomaka

Posted 03 August 2012 - 07:51 AM

I've got one of the 1/8 scale ones. Detail looks to be of typical Monogram level of detail. I am not that well versed between the two years to tell what year it is though.

Mike

#4 Casey

Casey

MCM Ohana

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,892 posts
  • Full Name:Casey Littmann

Posted 03 August 2012 - 08:25 AM

The Revell 1/16 scale kit is probably the best, as it came out just as Revell was being re-born and putting out nice stuff again.

The 1/8 Monogram IROC-Z is basically a scaled up 1/24 scale kit, and though nice, the parts count isn't what you'd expect from a larger kit. Still, it looks great sitting on the shelf once finished, and the kit contains the "CAMARO" upholstery decals for all four seats, a nice set of Goodyear Gatorback VR50 tires, and that very Monogram thing- "smoke" tinted window glass.

#5 FatManScaleDesigns

FatManScaleDesigns

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 12:21 PM

Is there a good selection of 1/16th wheels?

#6 FatManScaleDesigns

FatManScaleDesigns

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 01:03 PM

I want to do one big project that takes the course of until next years NNL north. Something I will build until the show is here next year and I plan to do a lot of things on this that will push my skill as a modeler so that when this time comes next year and I am looking for my next project, when its complete ill have something to compare from that year to something from my year before...

I have a lot more pictures and references about this car I want to build. the reason I asked which kit is the best is I want to build this car, As soon as I layed eyes on this car, I've not looked back since. There's something about this car that just makes me drool.

Posted Image

#7 epi4561

epi4561

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • Full Name:Garry Robinson

Posted 03 August 2012 - 07:59 PM

E-bay has some dealer promo models that you might be able to use. I just checked and there was an 88 and a couple of 90's, I think. Might be a good start .. good luck That Iroc looks Nice!!!!!!

thanks-epi

#8 epi4561

epi4561

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • Full Name:Garry Robinson

Posted 03 August 2012 - 08:29 PM

also, some more searching led me to this link. It's an 85 Iroc z (Monogram 854015) with no pic but it looks like its due to be released in October.

http://www.hobbylinc...n/mon854015.htm

#9 Steven Zimmerman

Steven Zimmerman

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 816 posts
  • Full Name:Steven

Posted 04 August 2012 - 01:34 AM

Pegasus has some really nice IROC wheels, to start with....'Z'

#10 mnwildpunk

mnwildpunk

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,517 posts
  • Full Name:Dave isle

Posted 04 August 2012 - 01:25 PM

Only The noticable difference between a 85 & 87 is the fact they moved the center high mount tail light from high on the outside rear window to the center of the rear spoiler

#11 Intmd8r

Intmd8r

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 359 posts
  • Full Name:Steve Cosby

Posted 05 August 2012 - 03:40 PM

I want to do one big project that takes the course of until next years NNL north. Something I will build until the show is here next year and I plan to do a lot of things on this that will push my skill as a modeler so that when this time comes next year and I am looking for my next project, when its complete ill have something to compare from that year to something from my year before...

I have a lot more pictures and references about this car I want to build. the reason I asked which kit is the best is I want to build this car, As soon as I layed eyes on this car, I've not looked back since. There's something about this car that just makes me drool.

Posted Image

I now see why you want ot build the scaled version of this! I`ve personally never build an IROC Z kit or one of the larger scales, but from past experiences with different brands, you can`t go wrong with Revelle or Monogram. The aftermarket support for 1:24 scale kits seem to be plentiful as well. What ever you decide to build, make sure to share the pics! I want to see more of this bad boy.