21 replies to this topic

#1 Casey

Casey

MCM Ohana

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,892 posts
  • Full Name:Casey Littmann

Posted 05 August 2012 - 10:09 AM

I didn't see this mentioned elsewhere, but it looks like the Fruehauf Chrome Tanker Trailer is set for an August release:

RT684lg.jpg

#2 Fat Brian

Fat Brian

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 934 posts
  • Full Name:Brian Croft

Posted 06 August 2012 - 03:27 AM

I have one on those I bought a few months ago. I just wanted to say that on mine the chrome was awesome, almost no junk in the plating and no runs in the undercoat. The also did a great job packing the tank sides, they are in seperate plastic bags that are then wrapped in some thin foam packing material. This one isn't warped like the last issue either, I had one of the Texaco kits from the late nineties that was so warped it was absolute garbage.

#3 baloney

baloney

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts
  • Full Name:Greg Swanson

Posted 21 August 2012 - 03:08 PM

i have about 6 of them.. so many to build.. i wish amt could come up with a different tanker.. like a cement or bulk.. you know the ones that are painted black in the center.. the tanks are more likely lower than the fuel tanker..

#4 mackinac359

mackinac359

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,339 posts
  • Full Name:Tim Ahlborn

Posted 20 September 2012 - 12:53 AM

When you build this, the halves don't mate up evenly due to the tooling aging poorly. You have to improvise when assembling it. I used duct tape inside the barrel of the tank to keep the halves as close together as possible. This is probably the last time we will see this kit due to the failing tool. :(

Tim

#5 Fat Brian

Fat Brian

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 934 posts
  • Full Name:Brian Croft

Posted 20 September 2012 - 11:54 AM

I did some dry fitting of mine and it is better than a previous issue I had but it still leaves a lot to be desired. It shows it's age for sure.

#6 chuckyr

chuckyr

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,233 posts
  • Full Name:C. Mitchell

Posted 05 October 2012 - 04:41 PM

When you build this, the halves don't mate up evenly due to the tooling aging poorly. You have to improvise when assembling it. I used duct tape inside the barrel of the tank to keep the halves as close together as possible. This is probably the last time we will see this kit due to the failing tool. :(

Tim

Does that mean they will make some 21st century truck subjects?

#7 BigBad

BigBad

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,328 posts
  • Full Name:Robert Poudrette

Posted 06 October 2012 - 08:38 AM

Does that mean they will make some 21st century truck subjects?

Maybe we should ask Moebius again for this?

#8 chuckyr

chuckyr

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,233 posts
  • Full Name:C. Mitchell

Posted 06 October 2012 - 10:12 AM

Maybe we should ask Moebius again for this?

If their three current tractor trailer kits sell, you can bet they will offer more.

Edited by chuckyr, 06 October 2012 - 10:13 AM.

#9 Chuck Most

Chuck Most

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,746 posts
  • Full Name:^See Above

Posted 08 October 2012 - 08:15 AM

I'm hoarding one of these to hook up behind my White Western Star- until now I was only worried about building it without scratching the chrome.
Is this the same kit that originally came with two left tank halves when it was first issued?

#10 ZIL 111V

ZIL 111V

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • Full Name:Paul GILL

Posted 19 October 2012 - 07:09 AM

Sure challenge to fit correctly every parts in this oldie, but if not mistaking this Tanker Trl must have been the most reissued AMT Trailer kit ever, since it's intro back in 1970:
GULF 1970-75, Sunoco Plated 1971, Union 76/Gulf mid 70's-early 80's, AMOCO in '88-early 90's, TEXACO late 90's, CCR Transport & the latest available chrome plated version.
True that the Chrome plating is very well done for such large half rounded parts on the ones I got, nice work again Round2...on a mold that truly shows it's age! :unsure: :P

#11 CrashTestDummy

CrashTestDummy

MCM Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts
  • Full Name:Jukka

Posted 29 September 2013 - 04:55 AM

Could somebody who has the round2 reissue of this tanker trailer post a pic or two of the decals sheet? I was only able to find poor pic from Hobbylink Japan's site.

#12 Bige37

Bige37

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
  • Full Name:Eric A Bethke

Posted 24 April 2014 - 03:52 AM

So I recently purchased a texaco tanker trailer from amt and was wondering how well does this go together is there any fit issues? Also off note my mom used to drive school bus and I was wondering where I could purchase a school bus model or if any even exist other than the drag bus kit?

#13 Jim B

Jim B

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,486 posts
  • Full Name:James Bongiovanni

Posted 24 April 2014 - 04:49 AM

It's easier to tell you what does fit right on the AMT Tank Trailer kit: the wheels, and that's about it.  The hank halfs are very think, and don't mate up properly, and because they are so thick it's just about impossible to get them round.  The tank doesn't actually touch the frame in many places, so mounting the tank to the frame is precarious at best.  If you "fight the good fight" it does look nice on the shelf.

DSC00632.jpg

DSC00631.jpg

The only school bus models that I know of are from RMR in Pennsylvania, and they are from the 1940s & 50s.  Here's the link to his site, they're at the bottom of the page: http://www.freewebs....resin/nf125.htm

#14 Bige37

Bige37

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 07:59 AM

Thanks! So it sounds like ill have my hands full with the tanker! A lot of sanding and so forth! BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH it now nothing is easy in model building

#15 Jim B

Jim B

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,486 posts
  • Full Name:James Bongiovanni

Posted 24 April 2014 - 08:22 AM

Actually, there wasn't a lot of sanding involved.  Although the tank halves are not the same shape, if you line up the bottom seam & make that flush as possible, that top piece hides the top seam so it doesn't look too bad,  And, hey, they molds are probably 40 years old by now!  Of course, they didn't fit all that well back then, either.

Good luck, have fun, and don't get to frustrated.

#16 kilrathy10

kilrathy10

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,690 posts
  • Full Name:JT Williams

Posted 24 April 2014 - 04:44 PM

Yep, you're gonna have your work cut out for you on this one, but it does, eventually, build up nice.....

#17 foosh

foosh

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
  • Full Name:Lenny Fooshkill

Posted 24 April 2014 - 05:28 PM

I agree with Jim and JT, bit of a job to build, just take your time and test fit first, it will work.  When I opened the box I said,"Hey AMT did make an oval tanker.  Oh, nevermind."  I used masking tape and rubber bands to get the halves somewhat lined up, then glued from the inside.  Some builders make round templates for inside, that may work also.  Just take your time it will work.

056.jpg

Lenny (I'll never build another one) Foosh

#18 Thatswhatshesaid

Thatswhatshesaid

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts
  • Full Name:Jake McGillicutty

Posted 24 April 2014 - 06:38 PM

Masking tape and rubber bands? I was thinking more Gorilla Glue and ratchet straps.
But it seems doable with a little patience.

#19 Bige37

Bige37

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 04:42 AM

Well I'm gonna start one of these days but first I need to finish a triceratops diorama for my son! I also need to build shelves for this and my flatbed tractor trailer combo!

#20 maxwell48098

maxwell48098

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts
  • Full Name:A.J. Ramming

Posted 25 April 2014 - 10:48 AM

I remember struggling when I built my first version of this tanker back around 1970.  Even then it was a challenge.  Ever since that first one, I cut strips of .040' plastic about .50' wide and glued one to the bottom of the left half and another to the top of the right  I then bring the two halves together and run a quick line liquid cement down the joint before pushing them firmly together.  I have always used three or four strong rubber bands to hold everything while the glue sets up.  A also place the ends on at this time, but not cemented to make sure that the body stays round.  Usually the next day I'll glue the ends on and take the rubber bands off.  Having the extra gluing surface inside the tank helps things hold together during the rest of the construction, and even after if you accidentally drop it (as I have done on 2 or 3 occasions).

A.J.