#41 GoatGuy

GoatGuy

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 905 posts
  • Full Name:Dave Ryberg

Posted 19 August 2012 - 06:43 AM

Looks really good Scott. I'll be watching your build.

#42 futurattraction

futurattraction

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,198 posts
  • Full Name:Scott Popham

Posted 25 August 2012 - 03:33 PM

Fred - thanks for your kindness and support. Sorry for being late posting something. Been busy with life and trying to get some bench time to make some progress on this...

Thanks Darryl. I'm planning to get another pic update, here shortly, but wanted to let you know I appreciate your comment.

Hey Dave - Some new stuff will be coming shortly!

#43 futurattraction

futurattraction

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 04:01 PM

I was able to make some progress on the X-members for the central frame rail section this week. Got them finished mid-week. Wasted some styrene before I got the fit I was looking for, for the full-length diagonal. Thanks to Chris, I've learned that it's better to keep doing it until you're happy with it rather than settle...
Posted Image

As you can see above, I used masking tape to make sure I the pieced diagonals are straight. Sighting across them, I think it worked! LOL
Posted Image

The main lower control arm is .050 stainless tubing with RB Motion 1504 rod end and nut where it will attach to the chassis bracket. .8MM brass nut, bolt and washers are from Scale Hardware. Lower strut mount is .100" styrene rod, drilled to accept the stainless tubing and provide a receiver for the lower strut mount. I cut tiny pieces of .080 brass to serve as spacers between the photo etch A-arm mounting tabs. The tabs slide over the .062 tubing and positively locate them. The width of the tabs matches (more or less) with the .080 OD of the rails. I'll have to do a tiny bit of gap filling, but it shouldn't be much.
Posted Image

The front frame rails are constructed out of .063 brass tubing telescoped inside .080 brass. I tried to use a file to gnurl the .063 to make the fit a bit tighter. You can see where the scuffed area is.
Posted Image

Hopefully I'll get another update posted before the end of the weekend...

Comments welcome!

#44 Prostreet

Prostreet

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,378 posts
  • Full Name:Joe Beard

Posted 25 August 2012 - 05:14 PM

Wow, nice clean work Scott, Not sure how you guys work with such small stuff, i have a hard time with 1/16th scale lol

#45 Ben

Ben

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,943 posts
  • Full Name:Ben Wicker

Posted 25 August 2012 - 05:23 PM

Awesome work Scott! I can't wait to hear it run! :lol:

#46 comp1839

comp1839

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts
  • Full Name:dave smith

Posted 26 August 2012 - 01:35 PM

scott, i can't believe you are working in 1:25 scale (or 1:24 i'm not really sure. it's so tiny.) the control arm is smokin' hot. as are the little tiny brackets that you're using!!!!! keep up the unbelievable craftsmanship!!!!!!!

#47 futurattraction

futurattraction

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 07:51 AM

Thanks Joe - it's getting tougher and tougher to work in this scale. My eyes and fingers don't always cooperate! LOL

Hey Ben - Yeah, getting those roller rockers adjusted is a pain because I can't find a feeler gauge that is thin enough... :)

Thanks for the kind words, Dave. I'm going to be doing several things on this that I've never done before and I'm sure you and others will be called upon to (hopefully) get some of the details right.

#48 C.C.RACER

C.C.RACER

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts
  • Full Name:CLAY

Posted 27 August 2012 - 08:14 AM

Scott, just found your build and looks like a GREAT start. Ill keep checking in time to time.
By the way I have the first coats of paint on mine and should have it done in the next couple weeks.
Everybody the casting on this car is the BEST I have ever seen. Thank you Scott. Good luck and waiting
for the next update.
Clay :) :wub:

#49 futurattraction

futurattraction

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 10:00 AM

Hey, thanks Clay. I'll look forward to some pics of yours when you're ready... :)

#50 Mooneyzs

Mooneyzs

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,896 posts
  • Full Name:-Chris

Posted 27 August 2012 - 05:26 PM

Scott... your skills amaze me Brother!! Nice work on the lower control arm. Looks sweet!! :D

#51 MicroNitro

MicroNitro

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 574 posts
  • Full Name:jim littiken

Posted 28 August 2012 - 12:33 AM

Great parts and a great model builder.

#52 vintagedragfan

vintagedragfan

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,635 posts
  • Full Name:Bill Davis

Posted 28 August 2012 - 01:01 AM

super nice work Scott!

#53 futurattraction

futurattraction

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 05:06 PM

Sorry I've been away guys. That's the last time I'm going to say I'll try to post more pics the next day! LOL

Chris, Jim and Bill - thanks for your kind words. I've been plugging away on this as time has allowed and have made a bit of progress.

Here are the semi-finished forward rails with part of the lower A-arms attached.
Posted Image

I built a jig to get the frame rail spacing uniform front to rear and to match the central frame rail section.
Posted Image

This shows the forward frame rails assembled with the front crossmember and the PE foldable tabs I'm using to attach the diagonal portion of the lower A-arms. Because I'm planning/hoping to use this frame section as a master for resin-cast pieces, the A-arm material and RB Motion joints are a bit larger than they would be in 1:1, but I feel better about building in a bit more cross-sectional strength since these will be somewhat delicate pieces to cast.
Posted Image

I've got everything more or less attached together. There is a bit more filling and finishing that I plan to do around joints but you get the idea.
Posted Image

Here are a couple mockup shots under the body with a 351C setting between the rails.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

This is an interesting detail I discovered a long time ago. The spacing for the shift towers on the 1/24th scale Monogram Glidden Lenco is identical to the spacing of the 1/25th scale Revell pro sportsman chassis. Who'd have figured that?
Posted Image

#54 Prostreet

Prostreet

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,378 posts
  • Full Name:Joe Beard

Posted 05 September 2012 - 05:15 PM

Awesome work Scott, A-arms look fantastic.

#55 W-409

W-409

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,630 posts
  • Full Name:Niko Lindström

Posted 05 September 2012 - 06:16 PM

Looking good. I like what you did for the frame. Engine fits nicely on place, very beautiful. I've always liked Fairmont Drag Cars, yours will turn out nice.

#56 tyrone

tyrone

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,195 posts
  • Full Name:Tyrone Price

Posted 06 September 2012 - 02:00 AM

Looks Awesome Scott.....

#57 comp1839

comp1839

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts
  • Full Name:dave smith

Posted 06 September 2012 - 12:29 PM

incredible work scott! chassis is superb. i was also admiring that sweet 351 c.

#58 tooltas

tooltas

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,237 posts
  • Full Name:todd staples

Posted 06 September 2012 - 02:35 PM

a big shotgun hemi 429 boss ford would be so better,

#59 futurattraction

futurattraction

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 05:44 PM

Joe - thanks for the kind words. Given the kind of work you're doing on your own project, it is a real compliment!

Niko - I appreciate your comments. I'm trying to do this as cleanly as I can. It still doesn't measure up to the work that many builders on here do, but it's where I'm at currently.

Hey Tyrone - thanks much bro. It's very much appreciated. I've admired the work you do on all your builds, so it means a lot...

Thanks Dave. Slow progress, but it's getting there. Thanks for your comment about my 351C. Lots of guys these days don't appreciate the "C" engine for it's role in Ford's success in the 70s and early 80s. BTW, I'm going to draw up some lower strut arm mounts. I think your suggestion is a keeper!

Thanks Todd. I know where you're coming from, but I've been a Cleveland fan since they first showed up in Ford Pro Stock, Modified and Comp classes back in the 70s, plus I own a 1:1 Cleveland, so I have an allegiance to them...

Edited by futurattraction, 07 September 2012 - 07:29 AM.

#60 vintagedragfan

vintagedragfan

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,635 posts
  • Full Name:Bill Davis

Posted 09 September 2012 - 03:25 AM

we are ready for an update Scott, don't slow down on us now man! lol