Model Cars Magazine Forum

Fairmont drag car build - Hanging/hinging DS door 8/10/16

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the kind words, Mike. I've got progress to report, but also, unfortunately, I dropped the chassis before I posted the last pics and ended up breaking the passenger side strut mount off and the front flexed enough to pop the front crossmembers off. :(

Larry - I hope you've finished that popcorn by now. LOL

I was able to make progress on several different fronts. I've added more cage, drilled the chassis for some brake line clips I made, got a bit of finish work done on the rear package shelf, drilled holes for a 3-gauge cluster for the dash and got the dash, more or less fitted to the pan and cage.

I tried using .080 styrene for the windshield bars, but wasn't happy with them. I found a short section of aluminum tubing that did work for me. You can see the filler panel I've added at the top of the firewall.

newrollcagedashlinemts008_zpsc35109eb.jp

Low angle shot of the filler panel (sorry for the poor quality)

newrollcagedashlinemts007_zpsdf12e40c.jp

newrollcagedashlinemts011_zps409c030c.jp

Drilled holes in central frame section for brake clips.

newrollcagedashlinemts004_zpsf42ffa84.jp

newrollcagedashlinemts001_zps8691d5f3.jp

scott, sorry to hear you dropped this. if it makes you feel any better, i've done it myself quite a few times. hope it's all repairable! you progress looks fantastic. i still find it hard to believe the great detail you acquire in such a small scale. amazing!!!!!!

I've watching this one. Glidden's 78 Fairmont never lost a round of racing, national, regional or match raced. Unbelievable car! Saw it a U.S. 30 back in the day. If your interested, there's a great article at competitionplus.com with the man himself.

Marty

Alan - I'll try to let you know when I've got some in.

Thanks Marty. Yeah, I know Glidden's '78 car didn't lose a round that season after be brought it out. Thanks for the CompPlus reference.

I'm trying to keep up some momentum, Ray. Thanks!

Got some more pics I can post for sub-assembly progress.

I put together a set of photoetch pedals today and got them mostly fitted to the pan. I still need to add an outer retainer/bracket to finish them up. I used .032" OD stainless tubing and telescoped some .050" stainless on the inboard side of the pedals. I used some .052 OD Beadalon silver crimp tubes in between the pedals and ouboard of the clutch pedal.

pedals004_zpsb8f99327.jpg

The brake pedal actually extends through the floor and will line up with a pushrod assembly. Or so I hope! LOL

pedals003_zps7ea1e85f.jpg

I've also been working on one of my revised 1-piece 9-inch housings. I've got all the bracketry attached. Just need to figure out what colors I'll paint it and need to add brake line/caliper/rotor detail. I've added material to "box" the rear of the brackets. It will be assembled with Scale Hardware threaded .8mm bolts/nuts.

new9-inchwbrackets001_zps2ffc07ac.jpg

new9-inchwbrackets002_zps6439835c.jpg

Edited by futurattraction

Scott.... those are some incrediable updates my friend. Your work is killer. I love what you have been doing to this build. dont feeo bad about having to reglue some of the frame. I did the same thig with the body of my funnt car recently. I was working on the escape hatch and didnt pay attention and busted one of the under body support braces and had to reglue it myself....lol

Looking forward to your next update.

Thanks for the kind words, Tyrone.

Hey Larry. Don't overdo the popcorn, you won't want your supper! LOL

Thank you, much, Mike. Keep watching! :)

Thank you, so much, Chris. The thing that irks me about my dropping it was that I was carrying it on my arm without supporting it well, and I got distracted by something for just a moment...and there it went! I really wanted to kick myself about then! :(

Thank you, Dave. I'm really happy with the way they turned out. The nice thing is, you can fold the top flap either direction on which the pedal pad mounts, which helps get them visually placed where they look the best.

Thanks Mike. I appreciate it. Yes - the pedals are available in 1/16th.

Thanks Joe. I appreciate it!

Does anybody make a Mirada in 1/24-1/25th scale? It'd be cool, for sure.

AirTrax does a Dodge Mirada transkit, I have one on the workbench right now. Is really a very, very nice resin kit and captured the lines of the car perfectly...it it expensive. .but worth it in my very personal opinion. Edited by Plasticfanatic

Here are pics of that AirTrax Mirada (Not Mine though). http://public.fotki.com/Letukkamies/air-trax-resin-kits/air-trax-resin-1983/

And Juha Airio has built one Factory Stock:

PA080060.JPG?img=img1280

PA080062.JPG?img=img1280

PA080041.JPG?img=img1280

The Fairmont is looking excellent! All that little detail work that you've done is really nice. This will be an excellent build once it's done. Great work.

Thanks Rick! The pedals turned out looking good. They have a billet look to them, which might not fit perfectly with the age of the body, but since I'm not really building this as a period correct car, it doesn't make any difference.

I appreciate your encouragement Rickard! I'm looking forward to seeing more of your work...

Thank you for your kind words, Brad. I have always liked Fairmonts. It usually took a while for Ford's new body styles back in the 70s and 80s to grow on me, but I loved the Fairmont sport coupe from the first time I saw one on the showroom floor. I still remember it. Lots of guys dislike their slab-sidedness, but I think that's one of the features I really find endearing, for whatever reason. I've always like square-ish cars...