Shardik

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 745 posts
  • Full Name:Johann H. Buerfeind V

Posted 30 December 2012 - 11:46 AM

This one's back on the bench.

First, this is what's been holding me up:  A scratch built piano hinge for the hood!

IMG_1492_zps42de6d59.jpg

And a couple shots of the interior before it got buttoned up

IMG_1467_zps7e9581ac.jpg

IMG_1465_zpsb3126aab.jpg

Here's the load out for the bed.

IMG_1494_zpsf9e637d9.jpg

IMG_1491_zpsba7e01b0.jpg

#22 01blueedge

01blueedge

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 560 posts
  • Full Name:Josh Crolley

Posted 30 December 2012 - 05:15 PM

this is just too cool I like the added stuff in the bed

#23 Shardik

Shardik

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 745 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 07:55 AM

that is looking very cool.. where did you get the small detail stuff from ( like the fly swatter and ETC. )

The flyswatter and the clip board came from The Model Car Garage.  They have various sets of photo etched "interior junk" which include things like cassette tapes, sun glasses, tools and handcuffs. (look in the interior details section)

The shovel is from Scale Equipment Ltd.; A great source for resin diorama details.

The book was cut down from one I found in the doll house section at Hobby Lobby.

The rope is waxed chord used for sewing leather.

The hay bale is Woodland Scenics dry meadow grass wrapped around a scratch built form.

The hay hooks were scratch built from music wire and styrene rod.

The sack of McGreuder's Llama-Vite became an obsession in itself :lol: .  I examined hundreds of fabric samples, searching for the right weave in the right scale and the right color :blink: .  I finally found this pocket lining material, and set to work with a fine needle and thread and stuffed it with coarse sea salt after applying the logo with a very fine tipped marker.

@Josh:  Thanks.

#24 crazyrichard

crazyrichard

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,659 posts
  • Full Name:richard gelens

Posted 01 January 2013 - 01:00 AM

awsome !!

#25 Shardik

Shardik

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 745 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 09:37 AM

Thanks, Richard.

More coming soon.

#26 Alyn

Alyn

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,034 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:38 AM

Hope this one doesn't stay on the back burner too long. It's a great project.

Did the hood hinge start with a photo etch part, or did you cut the pieces from scratch?

#27 Shardik

Shardik

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 745 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 11:58 AM

Alyn,

The hinge is made from scratch.  I started with .oo5" sheet brass, cut into 3/4" wide strips, which I then took to work with me and spent 2 hours on a Bridgeport milling equally spaced 1/16" slots in a stack of 10 blanks sandwiched between two pieces of aluminum.  I'll post a picture of the blanks later.

Thanks for your interest.

Edited by Shardik, 07 January 2013 - 10:48 AM.

#28 Shardik

Shardik

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 745 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:59 AM

As promised, here's a look at my hinge blanks.  They're actually over-scale for 1:24, as I originally made them for a 1:12 scale Bentley, but I figured as long as I had extras I might as well open the hood on the '37.

IMG_1500_zps9c61b052.jpg

Boy, was my arm sore after I finished these.  Each notch required eight passes to keep the depth of cut to .015" in order to preserve my only 1/16 end mill.

#29 Alyn

Alyn

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,034 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 05:47 PM

Those are great parts, Johann. That's the kind of stuff that turns a good model into a great one. Very nice.

Nice work on the truck interior too. I didn't slow down enough to notice the detail work you'd done on my first pass. It was well worth the second pass. My dad and uncle kicked around in an old 37 Ford pickup back in the day, so they always bring back good memories.

#30 Shardik

Shardik

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 745 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 10:04 AM

Thanks for the second look, Alyn. 

A lot of the detail in the interior didn't show up very well in the photos.  For example, the duct tape on the seats, the stuffing peeking through the split seams and the worn carpet on the floor.  I also made the bracket for the C.B. from .010" aluminum sheet with scale hardware bolts for the pivots.

For now, I'm kind of struggling with the hinges for the side curtains on the hood: getting enough glue surface without covering the louvers and still maintain strength in the hinge.  Experiment #7 underway.

#31 Gluhead

Gluhead

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts
  • Full Name:It really is Gluhead

Posted 09 January 2013 - 10:34 AM

Nice work, Johann.

I'm curious...what was your trick to roll the brass tangs? I need to make a pair of these hinges before too long for a super-secret project (:P). I slotted the end of a piece of brass tubing for rolling the ends of aluminum strip, which works great...but I know brass would be too tough for it.

#32 Shardik

Shardik

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 745 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 10:27 AM

Nice work, Johann.

I'm curious...what was your trick to roll the brass tangs? I need to make a pair of these hinges before too long for a super-secret project ( :P). I slotted the end of a piece of brass tubing for rolling the ends of aluminum strip, which works great...but I know brass would be too tough for it.

Thanks for the interest, Glu'.

The brass I used is pretty thin, so it wasn't hard to form.  To start, I used a PE bending jig to bend the tangs to 90 degrees about 2/3 from the bottom of the slots.  I then interleave the hinges on a flat surface, and tape them down.  Next, lay the hinge pin between the upturned tangs, and using a hard object, such as a micro chisel, bend one tang over at each end, to secure the pin, then repeat over and over and over and .....

I'll post some pictures of the process tomorrow to clarify what I'm talking about.

#33 Randy D

Randy D

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 575 posts
  • Full Name:Randy Ditton

Posted 12 January 2013 - 03:13 AM

Hi Johann,   The work you are doing on the whole front end is just superb!!  The louvers look great and the feed sack is awesome.

Those hinges are perfect.

Randy

#34 vintagedragfan

vintagedragfan

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,613 posts
  • Full Name:Bill Davis

Posted 13 January 2013 - 04:31 AM

some how I missed this thread, very nice work indeed Jonathan!