What's the most common scale for the larger models right now ?

• You cannot reply to this topic
4 replies to this topic

#1 moparmagiclives

moparmagiclives

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,410 posts
  • Full Name:Shane Moore

Posted 11 August 2012 - 06:37 PM

I'm thinking about getting into the larger scale stuff, but I'm wondering what is the most common scale or available right now. I picked up an older monogram Camaro 1/12 scale, and have been looking into others to build a parts inventory for future builds. But I'm not seeing a whole lot. Have found a few 1/16 on eBay. I dont think my wallet will let me get hooked on 8th scale stuff.
What your guys thoughts ?
I'm looking at bidding on a 1/16 cobra from monogram I believe it is., any info? Good kit?

#2 Modelmartin

Modelmartin

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,836 posts
  • Full Name:Mr. Yuk

Posted 12 August 2012 - 04:23 AM

Big scale stuff is tough. It depends on your interests too. If you are more into American cars I think 1/16 is the way to go. AMT and MPC and Revell all had 1/16 cars. Monogram did 1/12. International and racing stuff would be 1/12. Either way it is slim pickings.

#3 TedsModeling

TedsModeling

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts
  • Full Name:Ted Bowe

Posted 20 August 2012 - 06:29 AM

I just opened the doors to my online store specializing in 1/16 and larger. I'm finding it much easier to stock 1/16 scale parts than 1/12 or 1/8. The 1/8 scale guys like to scratch build their own parts - maybe because of the lack of parts for them. I find the larger scales, especially 1/16 to really be the growth area of the hobby.
As for your Cobra, I have two that I want to do something with and I think they're a fine example of what's possible with 1/16.
I read that the new 1/12 scale 2010 Ford Shelby GT500 Mustang is a great kit for starting in that scale.

#4 Brian_B

Brian_B

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts
  • Full Name:Brian Bowers

Posted 20 August 2012 - 06:34 AM

Someone just finished the 1/12 Cobra in "under glass".

http://www.modelcars...topic=62754&hl=

#5 wisdonm

wisdonm

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts
  • Full Name:Don Mueller

Posted 20 August 2012 - 08:57 AM

I know a lot of guys that work in 1:1