#1 CEKPETHO BCE

CEKPETHO BCE

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 557 posts
  • Full Name:Andrey

Posted 15 August 2012 - 02:11 PM

I've been thinking about getting one of these for a while, but not sure what to expect. Has anyone ever built one of these? if so, can you share your experiences/pictures/etc?

Thanks

#2 styromaniac

styromaniac

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts
  • Full Name:Steve Strauss

Posted 15 August 2012 - 05:03 PM

Common complaint for the newer AMT issue was the incorrect look of the cowl/nose piece & the too small looking engine.
Many suggested the older version of the kit mixed w/ some parts of the new version would yield an acceptable rendition.

#3 Mike Kucaba

Mike Kucaba

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,124 posts
  • Full Name:Michael J Kucaba

Posted 15 August 2012 - 09:30 PM

Lots of drama about the size of the motor. When finished well I don't think it would be mistaken for a Hudson ;) :rolleyes:

#4 Ace-Garageguy

Ace-Garageguy

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,709 posts
  • Full Name:Bill Engwer

Posted 16 August 2012 - 12:36 AM

Boy, this one always opens a can of worms, and opinions abound. The actual truth (rarely very popular when there are so many opinions) is that there are serious scale issues (and the shape of the nose) with several parts of the latest release, which shares zero parts with the original version. There are proportion and stance issues with the original kit, and styromaniac's mention above of combining the two to make a more-correct model than either alone will produce is definitely worth considering.

I've actually measured a real 1:1 Dodge Red Ram engine and '39 Ford 3-speed gearbox (and you know, divided by 25?) as represented in the kits, and the first version is pretty close, the newer version is a joke.....it's so badly underscale. I have both versions on the shelf, multiple articles from 1958 onwards about the car, my own reference numbers and photos of a real Red Ram and gearbox and have spent (wasted?) considerable time contrasting / comparing the two. Pretty amazing that in this day of digitizing everything and the ability to have a computer do the scaling and design most of the tooling, that the dimensions could be so far off, but it is, period. The decals are not great in the newer one either, but aftermarket was available.

I've also been involved in several online arguments about the correct scaling of the newer-release engine, all of them apparently with folks who have never actually measured the engine and scaled it themselves. Measure it, divide by 25, and the numbers don't lie. The popular argument is that the Red Ram is the "small" hemi, and that therefor the tiny motor in the newer kit is correct. Uh huh. A real Red Ram is almost exactly the same width across the heads as the bigger early hemis, but a bit shorter in overall length.....which is why Barris used it....to fit in the engine bay lengthwise. The original issue engine WILL fit in the later issue car, by the way.

All that said, either kit builds up into a good looking model, and the Red Ram and 3-speed in the early kit are cool swaps in anything, though the Hilborn FI detail is a little light. The newer kit has some nice parts for bashing, most notably probably the best "dropped and filled" front axle available for building a period rod.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy, 16 August 2012 - 12:37 AM.

#5 Deathgoblin

Deathgoblin

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 979 posts
  • Full Name:Brian Wilson

Posted 16 August 2012 - 03:38 AM

I've got one of these in my stash. Looks like it's a pretty nicely detailed kit. I've got some project plans for mine. I'll keep you guys posted. :)

#6 CEKPETHO BCE

CEKPETHO BCE

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 557 posts
  • Full Name:Andrey

Posted 16 August 2012 - 06:20 AM

Thank you all, especially William for that detailed information. Pictures would be nice though :)

#7 38 Crush

38 Crush

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 246 posts
  • Full Name:Harold

Posted 16 August 2012 - 12:53 PM

Andrew, First off let me say I'm a Crazy perfectionist. It took me 4 years of research and building to complete my Ala Kart. I even contacted the owner and Mr. Barris. There are many, many things that need to be modified, scratchbuilt or changed. But then again I'm crazy but I wanted It to be right. The kit has no air bag system,the tono cover is incomplete and mounts wrong, there is no brake detail at all. The engine oil filler stem is on the wrong side of the engine. Plus much more. Many items were scratchbuilt because they don't come in the kit. Yes It's a lot of hard work but for me it was well worth it because I just love this car and wanted to do it right. It rewarded me Best in Class at the GSL.

Posted Image

#8 Ace-Garageguy

Ace-Garageguy

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,709 posts
  • Full Name:Bill Engwer

Posted 16 August 2012 - 01:06 PM

Wow, wow, wow. That's fantastic. More pictures please, and more details too.......

PS. I see you're in Bend. Too bad about losing Cessna. Do you have anything to do with Windward Performance, by any chance?

Edited by Ace-Garageguy, 16 August 2012 - 01:16 PM.

#9 38 Crush

38 Crush

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 01:11 PM

Hers a few more if I can get them to work. Posted ImagePosted Image

#10 38 Crush

38 Crush

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 01:17 PM

Posted Image

#11 38 Crush

38 Crush

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 01:19 PM

Posted Image

#12 38 Crush

38 Crush

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 01:21 PM

Posted Image

#13 38 Crush

38 Crush

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 01:44 PM

No, but I know what your talking about. but that was awhile ago and I think they were bought out and a new company took over

#14 jbwelda

jbwelda

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,051 posts
  • Full Name:William Just

Posted 16 August 2012 - 06:40 PM

well its certainly not going to compete with harolds build there (super dooper by the way!) but heres the newer issue motor used in another context:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

i think its a kool kit and certainly parts are usable but like others say its a bit of a challenge especially if you start looking closely.
i remember building up the original as a kid and it turned out pretty good for my limited skill set in the basement at 13 years old.

#15 zenrat

zenrat

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 888 posts
  • Full Name:Fred Maillardet

Posted 16 August 2012 - 07:28 PM

What about the early Hemi in the AMT '53 F100? How's that measure up (sic)?

#16 ModelcarJR

ModelcarJR

Looker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Full Name:John Rossio

Posted 17 August 2012 - 10:39 AM

I didn't think the re-issue was too bad other than the hood fit on the cowl that I failed to rectify when I built this one in the mid-nineties right after the re-issue. I had bought an original kit from the 60s before I know about the re-issue. I still have that kit and 3 of the re-issues. Here is my build that I didn't try to make 100% accurate just my interpretation of the Ala Kart. Other than the hood fit it was fun to build and pretty much box stock. used white paint and followed woth some Testor's Clear Pearl which has flakes in the paint that made it kinda of white pearl that has faded a bit but still doesn't look bad after 20 years.

Posted Image

#17 38 Crush

38 Crush

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 05:50 PM

By thw way, If anyone has questions, Please don't hesitate to ask. Four years of this build gave me a ton of info on the real car. Be more than willing to help. in anyway I can.

#18 jbwelda

jbwelda

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,051 posts
  • Full Name:William Just

Posted 17 August 2012 - 06:01 PM

i think that injection on your kart is superb harold. really really excellent looking, easy to believe it was a photo of a full size set up instead of a miniature recreation.

#19 38 Crush

38 Crush

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 06:46 AM

Thanks JB, I was checking yours out as well. Looks really clean and real. Mine was done using aluminum tubing and small tubeing drilled into the base as on the real thing then painted to match. I also included the butterfly valves at the bottom of each tube.

#20 oldcars

oldcars

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 246 posts
  • Full Name:Richard Stamey

Posted 20 August 2012 - 08:09 PM

Harold. What color is the grill? Some pictures it looks chrome and in other pics it almost looks gold. Been bugging me for a long time. Thanks much in advance. Richard