Model Cars Magazine Forum

Here's a sneak peek at one I'll be finishing up over the next couple weeks. I started it a long, long time ago, so I have little to offer for in-progress pics, but I'm taking them as I go here during the last few stages. The wood is some walnut I've had hanging around for a while. I took some slices off on the table saw and sanded it down a little thinner yet. Rails are some Plastuct H beam which I rounded over the tops a bit. A little foil, a little golden oak stain, and here it is.

Thanks for looking,

Glu

41_Chevy_Box_01-vi.jpg

41_Chevy_Box_02-vi.jpg

41_Chevy_Box_03-vi.jpg

41_Chevy_Box_04-vi.jpg

41_Chevy_Box_05-vi.jpg

41_Chevy_Box_06-vi.jpg

Thanks, guys. I appreciate it. Three things have been holding me back on this one - 1) I lost the windshield. Thanks to Agent G, I've got that replaced. 2) I needed to restock my Semi-Gloss Black lacquer. Picked that up today, so that one's covered. And 3) making a few parts for the stovebolt 6. I've got half of those done now, so I'll be able to bring this one home over the coming week, with any luck.

I needed to restock my Semi-Gloss Black lacquer. Picked that up today, so that one's covered.

I was there, I saw him do it. I can vouche for this man's wherabouts and actions at or around 1:15 PM Monday, August 20, 2012. :lol:

Looking sweet! Bed looks awesome. (Heh, heh. Wood...) Is that Scale Motorsport upholstery pattern decal on the seat?

Haha. I didn't do it! Unless I did...

Thanks. Yep, the same. I still have about a third of a sheet, so I keep wondering what else to use it on. I wish I'd picked up a sheet of their zebra skin. I haven't seen any of that around since I've been back to building.

Thanks, guys. I'm glad you like it so far.

I got a little paint work done on the engine. My instinct lately is to go hog-wild with wiring and plumbing, but honestly I try to resist that because it becomes one big never-ending "while I'm at it" kind of things and then I end up not finishing. So, we'll see if I can show some restraint on this one. Haha.

One thing I'm feeling pretty good about is the finned side cover. I've tried several times to make a finned whatever and failed miserably. This time I was determined to make it work. It's definitely not perfect, but it's the first time I've gotten anything presentable and encourages me to keep at it.

41_Chevy_Mill_01-vi.jpg

41_Chevy_Mill_02-vi.jpg

41_Chevy_Mill_03-vi.jpg

Thanks Randy, Johann.

I'm going to try to have a friend make me a more permanent jig in steel, but this is how I did it. I have this quickie jig (the long one) that I made because I am absolutely incapable of making a square cut by hand, so I sawed a few slits into the fence. I used that to saw the first two slots into the fin jig by hand, then I inserted a piece of strip stock into the first slot (through both the fence and the jig). Every new slot, I'd move the strip stock to the slot I'd just finished, as one would with a pin stop on a drill press for a consistently spaced line of holes. I didn't take any pics while I made it, but I snapped a couple of the jigs.

For the cover, I shaped the base plate to fit the block, backed it with a big piece of tape, and lined it up with the slots in the fin jig. I shimmed the base plate up so it was at the right height in the jig, then taped the whole thing to a small storage tin (just for easier handling). Then I inserted lengths of .010 x .030 strip styrene into the jig and across the base plate and ran over it with Ambroid to set it. I took a brush from an old bottle and cut it down to maybe a dozen bristles (maybe less. lol) to help control the amount and placement of the cement. With that thin of stock, it was real easy to use way too much. The key ended up being to just kind of tack one in and move on to the next fin, then go back over the whole thing when they were all in place. Still, it was a test of patience. lol. The cement wicked into the jig in a couple places and I had to fight it to get the finished piece out...which made a couple of the fins a little wonky.

Like I said, it's not perfect, but it'll work, and the fin size and spacing match the offy tappet cover which was what I was striving for. I think with a more stable and consistent jig, it could work very, very well.

Jig_Fins_01-vi.jpg

Jig_Fins_02-vi.jpg