72 replies to this topic

#21 59 Impala

59 Impala

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 995 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 06:58 PM

Here is a picture of the Husagawa wheels and tires on a MPC Jeep that I built.

Posted Image

The Husagawa is 1/24 and the MPC is 1/25. I think they look Ok on this kit. :) Dan

#22 Danno

Danno

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,073 posts
  • Full Name:Nameless Natural Luminary

Posted 29 August 2012 - 10:46 PM

Wow! Nice job on Pat Brady's Jeep!

B)

#23 jeffs396

jeffs396

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,047 posts
  • Full Name:Jeff

Posted 30 August 2012 - 02:00 AM

Wow! Nice job on Pat Brady's Jeep!

B)

X2!!!

Great job Dan, thanks for posting. That gives us a good look at the differences between the Italeri styrene tires and the Hasegawa rubber tires (which are more accurate, with the sidewall "band" that the Italeri tires do not have).

Here are reproduction Firestones from Coker tire:

NDCC
Posted Image

What does NDCC stand for?
Non Directional Cross Country. Used primarily for military vehicles, the NDCC tires have a rounded shoulder, which offers better road and highway manners than the NDT version. These tires were used by the military after World War II.

NDT
Posted Image

Edited by jeffs396, 30 August 2012 - 02:08 AM.

#24 59 Impala

59 Impala

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 995 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 03:57 AM

Thanks guys and you're welcome Jeff. If it wasn't for the Husagawa kit I couldn't have finished "Nellybelle". I do wish that MPC or someone would make the correct wheels and tires for the military version. I would like to build some military jeeps. :) Dan

#25 Casey

Casey

MCM Ohana

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,895 posts
  • Full Name:Casey Littmann

Posted 06 September 2012 - 06:14 AM

And yes, those would most certainly be the correct tires for a military version. I might have the Italeri fire jeep laying around someplace, but I'll have to look. I'm pretty sure the tires from that kit have too large an OD to work with the MPC wheels, but the Italeri wheels look better anyway.

I have a set of the Italeri jeep wheels and tires in hand, and the O.D. at the rim measures .723", x25 = 18.075", so minus 1" = a 17" wheel. Is that the correct military jeep wheel diameter?

These wheels appear to be an exact match for what's in the Italeri jeep kit:

Posted Image

The MPC GY Suburbanite snow tires have a wheel bore I.D. of .601", x25 = 15.025", minus 1" = a 14" tire. :( I'm assuming the Hogan's Heroes jeep included some generic four-spoke steel wheels to use with the GY Suburbanite tires?

#26 mikemodeler

mikemodeler

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,869 posts
  • Full Name:Classified

Posted 06 September 2012 - 12:57 PM

Casey,

The Hogan Heroes kit had the same steel wheels that have been in those jeep kits for years. They were not 4 spoke, they look similar to the ones in your post above.

#27 Longbox55

Longbox55

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,527 posts
  • Full Name:Bill Burmeister

Posted 06 September 2012 - 01:28 PM

The wheels in the HH Jeep are the later single peice CJ wheels, rather than the 2 peice Combat Wheels shown in Caseys pix. The 1:1 WW2 Jeeps used a 16" wheel, I beleive the early CJ2 also used a 16 until the '50s, I'll have to double check the specs on that.

#28 jeffs396

jeffs396

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,047 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 02:35 PM

I have a set of the Italeri jeep wheels and tires in hand, and the O.D. at the rim measures .723", x25 = 18.075", so minus 1" = a 17" wheel. Is that the correct military jeep wheel diameter?

Casey, the Italeri is 1/24 scale, so they are just about right @ 17.35" minus 1".

See how the spare rim doesn't have the sink marks like the other four? :huh:

Maybe cut away the outers from the front & rear rims, leaving just each hub to combine with the 'sink mark-free' spare??? Or cast the hubs independently?

#29 Casey

Casey

MCM Ohana

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,895 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 03:10 PM

Casey, the Italeri is 1/24 scale, so they are just about right @ 17.35" minus 1".

See how the spare rim doesn't have the sink marks like the other four? :huh:

Maybe cut away the outers from the front & rear rims, leaving just each hub to combine with the 'sink mark-free' spare??? Or cast the hubs independently?

You're correct, Jeff.I figured for 1/25 scale instead of 1/24. :huh: Where's that scale math topic? :lol:

I think I will cast the hubs separately. The sink marks are kind of odd. I will have to check and see if they coincide with the ejector pin marks on the backsides of each wheel.

Thanks for the help, guys.

#30 Casey

Casey

MCM Ohana

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,895 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 05:22 AM

Here are some pics of both the Italeri/Testors and Hasegawa wheels and tires:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Hasegawa wheel in Hasegawa rubber tire, front side:

Posted Image

Hasegawa wheel in Hasegawa rubber tire, back side:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Italeri/Testors wheel and tire:

Posted Image

Posted Image

#31 jeffs396

jeffs396

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,047 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 02:22 AM

Well Casey, after seeing those pics, it looks like reproducing the Hasegawa parts are the way to go! Wheels look better, tires too.

They'd be perfect if the Firestone lettering were on the sidewalls :(

#32 Casey

Casey

MCM Ohana

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,895 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 10:43 AM

Just saw this one at Model Empire a few minutes ago. The box looks just like what you see in post #1, and the kit includes the surrey top, at least three guns and a shovel. Pretty much what we all expected. ^_^

#33 misternemo

misternemo

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • Full Name:ryan klarenbeek

Posted 14 October 2012 - 01:29 PM

hendrix resin makes a set of five military tread tires and five stock wheels for the jeep kit.the hasegawa wheels/tires are a LOT nicer though.

#34 Wagoneer81

Wagoneer81

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • Full Name:Chris Eddy.

Posted 18 October 2012 - 04:21 PM

Just saw this one at Model Empire a few minutes ago. The box looks just like what you see in post #1, and the kit includes the surrey top, at least three guns and a shovel. Pretty much what we all expected. ^_^

Casey, did you happen to see which guns were offered in this kit? I'm looking for 1/24-25 scale firearms...

#35 Casey

Casey

MCM Ohana

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,895 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 05:10 PM

Here they are shown on the side of the box:

[attachment=24291:wwjp.JPG]

#36 heepey

heepey

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • Full Name:Dan Pleier

Posted 21 October 2012 - 05:35 AM

here are the parts from the kit
Posted Image

#37 Edward Gore

Edward Gore

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts
  • Full Name:Pacific Ocean

Posted 04 November 2012 - 06:53 AM

I don't know what the Recoilless Rifle looks like but that .50 Cal looks a little sad.
Wagoneer81 - The weapons in the Hasegawa, Kubelwagon and Jeep kits have 1/24 machine guns and rifles. They are WWII era weapons but look good.

#38 Wagoneer81

Wagoneer81

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 948 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 02:51 PM

True but, that .50 cal has potential... I have the Kubelwagen and yes, they are good quality weapons. Two each MG34, MP40 and K98 Mausers and basic German WWII Kit. Gas Mask can, Potato masher grenades and 2 Panzerfaust. The Hase' Jeep I have only offered up a nice M1919 .30 cal machine gun... Looks like I need this kit so I can add the M1 Carbine, Thompson and M2 Browning to that collection.

#39 Edward Gore

Edward Gore

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts
  • Full Name:Pacific Ocean

Posted 04 November 2012 - 03:59 PM

An M2 Browning can be found in the Hasegawa Jeep Willys MB 2 kit#24502. Sounds like you have the other 1/24 weapons available.
Also, check out the 1/25 Sheriff Rosco's Police Car by MPC in The Dukes of Hazzard series kits. This includes the Carbine and Thompson .45 as well as an M16 and shot gun

#40 Wagoneer81

Wagoneer81

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 948 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 09:29 AM

An M2 Browning can be found in the Hasegawa Jeep Willys MB 2 kit#24502. Sounds like you have the other 1/24 weapons available.
Also, check out the 1/25 Sheriff Rosco's Police Car by MPC in The Dukes of Hazzard series kits. This includes the Carbine and Thompson .45 as well as an M16 and shot gun

Right. I have The Hase kit #24501 and it has an M1919 Browning .30 cal. Sounds like I need to aquire a #24502... Thanks for the info.