Model Cars Magazine Forum

The 2014 Corvette?

I like it! Could do without the Camaro rear end (give me the "trademark" Corvette round taillights that make a Corvette a Corvette), and a couple of silly parts like the dopey LEDs around the headlights and the weird vertical side marker lights, but all in all a cool design.

I think they are running out of American target buyers and will be trying to go over seas, they have a lot to compete with. Same with the viper.

The Corvette always was a strong seller in Europe, but for being a Corvette, i.e. for being genuinely American. Not for being some europeanised marketing excercise. There are enough European sports cars to chose from. If they make the Corvette too Euro, it will fail in this market. Big mistake.

Edited by Junkman

I like it! Could do without the Camaro rear end (give me the "trademark" Corvette round taillights that make a Corvette a Corvette), and a couple of silly parts like the dopey LEDs around the headlights and the weird vertical side marker lights, but all in all a cool design.

Agree on all counts.

What is with this trend ~ or, more accurately "fad" ~ of making cars look like 18-wheeler chicken trucks with all the inspector-gadget little LED rope-light gimmicks?

Does anybody really find that attractive? It always reminds me of the guy who never takes the Christmas lights off his house. Or the first step toward those Japanese gundam vans.

Yikes! Now, our Corvette? Bah, humbug.

B)

The Corvette over the last several generations has gotten too big and too heavy. In it's hayday it was a factory stock street killer. Light in weight, heavy in performance.

Now days they have to put in a big block just to get it away from the curb. And yes, I know it's got a 180-200 mph top end, but it still needs to get rolling first.

Added to the excessive weight, is that, this styling is so heavy handed that it truely horrible, but having said that, it still looks better than the last prototype that had the new ugly Camaro grille along with the new ugly Camaro taillights.

Chevy needs to go back to it's roots to find the real Corvette again. The last design by the late Larry Shinoda for a newer, lighter Stingray was by far better than this thing.

What is with this trend ~ or, more accurately "fad" ~ of making cars look like 18-wheeler chicken trucks with all the inspector-gadget little LED rope-light gimmicks?

That "circle the headlights with a string of LEDS" thing has got to be the goofiest styling gimmick to come along in a long time. I mean, yeah, fins were goofy, but at least there was an explanation/origin (stylists (and all the rest of us) were into rockets and space travel in the '50s and a lot of rocket/jet powered styling motifs like fins were popular then)... but what possible explanation is there for this dopey "ring around the headlights" thing? :blink: