Model Cars Magazine Forum

Super Gas Cobra.....Complete, 11/24/2012

1320wayne

Here is my latest wip. I'm not finished with the 63 pro mod yet but wanted to get started on this one to see where I could get with it.

The starting point is the latest release of the Cobra road race kit from Revell. I stretched the body slightly through the cowl area as well as adding styrene sheet to the rocker panels to lower the cars overall look. The chassis will be pieced together from multiple kit parts and styrene tubing to acheiev the super gas roadster style chassis. The wheel tubs are already cut, shaped and mocked up to ensure that they will fit. I will then start building the chassis forward from the wheel tubs. I wanted to make sure that they were a perfect fit before going any further.

I'm still brainstorming on a suitable powerplant along with a custom paint scheme.

DSC01855-vi.jpg

DSC01856-vi.jpg

DSC01858-vi.jpg

DSC01859-vi.jpg

DSC01860-vi.jpg

Edited by 1320wayne

Love it !!!!

Keep it Ford, how about the boss 429 shotgun ??(from the glidden pro/stk)

Update the carbs/manifold and viola instant super/gas (comp) !!

I think that might require a slightly taller/shorter in length hood scoop,especially if you want to fashion a windscreen.

Edited by doggie427

Love it !!!!

Keep it Ford, how about the boss 429 shotgun ??(from the glidden pro/stk)

Update the carbs/manifold and viola instant super/gas (comp) !!

I think that might require a slightly taller/shorter in length hood scoop,especially if you want to fashion a windscreen.

I'm not locked into the mockup scoop. I've got a resin sportsman style scoop that is slightly taller that may work better. It all depends on where I go with the powerplant. I even have a Mountain Motor Pro Stock style Ford powerplant but using that would mean changing the idea to a Comp. eliminator car instead, which is still possible.

Well, here is more.

I was able to get a bit more sanding done as the body filler has finally fully cured. I ran out of automotive filler and had to work with some Squadron white, which takes longer to set up.

I am also trying different scoops to see which one will work the best. So far I'm liking this one the best.

And, I was also able to get a bit further along on the chassis even though it's still in the rough stage. I started with a set of wheel tubs that were shaved in just the right spots to fit this body. Then a seperate tunnel was added. Next came the firewall and finally the framerails from a Revell Sportsman kit cut in a few different places to fit inside the body. Once I add floor panels and more framerails it will all start to come together and look like something.

DSC01861-vi.jpg

DSC01862-vi.jpg

DSC01863-vi.jpg

DSC01864-vi.jpg