#1 epi4561

epi4561

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  • Full Name:Garry Robinson

Posted 23 August 2012 - 08:25 PM

we all know of the dry brushing technique used to accentuate the raised areas of areas to bring out the detail. Example, dry brushing silver or aluminum over a black dash to show the stereo details etc...

I was wondering if there was a reverse technique of some sort? Something that would achieve the opposite effect.

Specifically, I have a 79 Camaro that I want the grill to be blacked out. however I want there to be some sort of highlight that brings out the inner detail of the grill.. Almost something that would make you think that daylight was shining through.
I realize that I can just reverse the process and dry brush the black over a lighter base color. But I don't want to use Silver or aluminum. Any Ideas on a better base color? or even ideas on a different technique? I'm open to any and all possibilities.

thanks-epi

#2 M0par Jim

M0par Jim

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts
  • Full Name:Jim

Posted 23 August 2012 - 08:59 PM

we all know of the dry brushing technique used to accentuate the raised areas of areas to bring out the detail. Example, dry brushing silver or aluminum over a black dash to show the stereo details etc...

I was wondering if there was a reverse technique of some sort? Something that would achieve the opposite effect.

Specifically, I have a 79 Camaro that I want the grill to be blacked out. however I want there to be some sort of highlight that brings out the inner detail of the grill.. Almost something that would make you think that daylight was shining through.
I realize that I can just reverse the process and dry brush the black over a lighter base color. But I don't want to use Silver or aluminum. Any Ideas on a better base color? or even ideas on a different technique? I'm open to any and all possibilities.

thanks-epi

Bare metal foil over the face, then brush paint the area's and wipe away the paint on the bare metal foil.

#3 mnwildpunk

mnwildpunk

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,084 posts
  • Full Name:Dave isle

Posted 24 August 2012 - 04:48 PM

If you want daylight to show through my suggestion is to sand the grill that easy real light would show through

#4 epi4561

epi4561

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  • Full Name:Garry Robinson

Posted 24 August 2012 - 09:27 PM

I appreciate all of your suggestions... seems like my best bet would be opening up the grill to let actual light shine through.

thanks-epi

#5 Gluhead

Gluhead

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts
  • Full Name:It really is Gluhead

Posted 25 August 2012 - 08:55 AM

You can probably get that one to open up for you. Just go nice and slow...it'll be a test of patience. But if you are too aggressive you can warm the plastic enough to make the slats wavy...so slow and steady.