Longbox55

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,527 posts
  • Full Name:Bill Burmeister

Posted 25 August 2012 - 03:00 PM

wal-mart does price match also

If/when my local Wal-Mart starts cayying models, I'll have to try that, as the local hobby shop i go to usually runs right at $11 for Revell/AMT new releases!

Not in south florida,, been to them,, No models, Must be a north thing

Maybe not, none of them around here are carrying models at this time.

#22 niteowl7710

niteowl7710

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,585 posts
  • Full Name:Daddy Day Care Now Open!

Posted 25 August 2012 - 04:51 PM

Price Match at Wal*Mart is supposed to be for exact items only and it has (or again supposed to be) to be a competitor's advertisement.

Also you have a LHS that prices their kits at $11? They must really do a lot of profit on something if they can stand losing $5-7 per kit from their cost let alone the retail price.

#23 Longbox55

Longbox55

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,527 posts
  • Full Name:Bill Burmeister

Posted 25 August 2012 - 05:08 PM

The average price is $10.98, compared to the $19.98 average price for the same kit at Hobby Lobby or Micheals (there's one of each nearby). Granted, import kits and the special releases do run a bit more, but even then they run less than everyone else. I do know that they get their kits direct from Hobbico, and have been involved with them since their founding. They were also involved with the founding of Tower Hobbies (owned by Hobbico).

#24 2000-cvpi

2000-cvpi

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 557 posts
  • Full Name:Corey Sarenius

Posted 25 August 2012 - 05:12 PM

Price Match at Wal*Mart is supposed to be for exact items only and it has (or again supposed to be) to be a competitor's advertisement.

Also you have a LHS that prices their kits at $11? They must really do a lot of profit on something if they can stand losing $5-7 per kit from their cost let alone the retail price.

I get kits for about that price, even hobby lobby now carries new releases, and with the forty percent off coupon, they are under 17.00 a kit. I also buy most of my kits from a local dealer that buys large collections. He doesn't have a store, and only sells at toy shows. He calls when he gets a collection in, and I get great prices, usually first or second shot at any kits that he had. He even will hold some if they are not in my current hobby budget. It works out well for both of us, and he has current releases of kits. For a common kit,.the most I have ever spent was 12.00, cheap kits are out there, you just have to look for them and be patient.

#25 niteowl7710

niteowl7710

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,585 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 06:34 PM

Well that's kinda apples vs. oranges. Buying collections for Pennies on the dollar, and then giving first dibs to friends is a long way from a brick and mortar store pricing new kits at $11. I only paid $12 for the reissue if the Monogram Roadrunner kit at NNL East but that price even at a show is an exception, not a rule.

Anyone with a big box hobby store can get kits for $11 with the coupons, but I'm still amazed that a real life store, not a show vendor, not a guy in his basement selling over the net can offer current kits for that cheap to anyone who walks in the door any and everyday.

#26 Rich Costello

Rich Costello

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  • Full Name:Rich Costello

Posted 25 August 2012 - 06:52 PM

I was in the Walmart here in Pocatello a week ago,and they had a shelf set up,ready to load with models,exactly like the one in the first post.Same prices too.

#27 Draggon

Draggon

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,742 posts
  • Full Name:Glenn Asher

Posted 26 August 2012 - 07:11 AM

I was at the one in Union City, Ca on Friday. Not even a hint of them coming. There are 2 in Fremont, I'll ck them out too.

#28 niteowl7710

niteowl7710

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,585 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 09:48 AM

Didn't get a chance to stop into my 1st store, but the two more rural Super Centers in Lewistown & Mill Hall, PA had nary a tube of glue between them.

#29 Skydime

Skydime

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,358 posts
  • Full Name:Ken Black

Posted 27 August 2012 - 07:33 AM

It's going to be very interesting where this goes. Even though there are alternatives, and we could Walmart bash all day long, it is important that we support this along with all other venues to keep our hobby alive.

Though I don't like the prices, I will be buying from Walmart occassionally. I will especially be buying from their supplies as I don't want to drive all day for a can of Testors paint. I hope they carry one coat along with the traditional enamel.

Edited by Skydime, 27 August 2012 - 07:39 AM.

#30 martinfan5

martinfan5

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,027 posts
  • Full Name:Jonathan Stephens

Posted 28 August 2012 - 04:44 PM

Found models at one of the three wally worlds, but only models and rockets, not paints or glue or supply's, it was a end cap set up
Posted Image

#31 aarondupont

aarondupont

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • Full Name:Aaron E Dupont

Posted 29 August 2012 - 03:12 AM

Yesterday I checked the Super Walmart in Medina, Ohio. No models. No open spot for them. I asked a clerk in the Toy Department if they were going to get models in. All I got was a "dumb puppy" look. I told her I'd heard some Walmarts in other parts of the country were either stocking them or putting them in. She just smiled and said she didn't know because she only worked in this store. Oh well, I'll keep watching and see what happens. Aaron Dupont

#32 Skydime

Skydime

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,358 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 03:24 AM

I've also seen the 66 Mustang (Shelby?) Special Edition 68 Charger, Special Edition 62 Impala, mid 2000s body snap Impala police cruiser, and a few others. Most of those shown are on the shelf now as well.

#33 Casey

Casey

MCM Ohana

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,895 posts
  • Full Name:Casey Littmann

Posted 29 August 2012 - 04:36 AM

Found models at one of the three wally worlds, but only models and rockets, not paints or glue or supply's, it was a end cap set up

That looks like the exact same selection of kits you'd see at a Michael's store.

#34 martinfan5

martinfan5

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,027 posts
  • Full Name:Jonathan Stephens

Posted 29 August 2012 - 10:48 AM

That looks like the exact same selection of kits you'd see at a Michael's store.

Pretty much Casey, although I think Michaels carrys a little bigger selection, well least the stores I shop at

#35 DAYTIME

DAYTIME

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts
  • Full Name:Patrick Moore

Posted 29 August 2012 - 05:17 PM

Walmart in Kettering, OH is going to have them. Empty shelves were labeled and they had hooks for glue and paint

#36 Skydime

Skydime

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,358 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 06:19 PM

Pretty much Casey, although I think Michaels carrys a little bigger selection, well least the stores I shop at

The closest Michael's to me carries probably 50% more plastic kits and a bunch of die cast kits as well.

#37 Brian_B

Brian_B

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts
  • Full Name:Brian Bowers

Posted 01 September 2012 - 07:32 PM

Checked Friday in Mountain Home, AR. As expected for a rural area.......No models nor space for them.

#38 forthlin

forthlin

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 155 posts
  • Full Name:Mike Marquart

Posted 02 September 2012 - 01:57 AM

Not in south florida,, been to them,, No models, Must be a north thing

Not this part of the north. I'm in Northern Indiana & no sign of models at any Walmarts in this area. I've asked at several Walmarts & they haven't heard anything about restocking models. :(

#39 niteowl7710

niteowl7710

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,585 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 03:17 AM

Made it back down to Severn, Maryland this morning, where this whole Wally World Model Section odyssey started. They've managed to stock up the selection since I was there last time. Right now there is only a missing slot in the Street Burners B Assortment, everything else is filled. Hiding behind the '68 Vette is a pair of '66 El Caminos, and there's a pair of '66 Mustang GT-Hs behind the '69 Z-28s.

Posted Image

All of the paint is enamel here, even the two slots for "Acrylic Starter Set", which HAD acrylic starter sets when I was there 2 weeks ago. I dunno if they got an over-ship of the enamel ones, or people actually bought the acrylic ones and they stocked in the enamels ones to fill the spaces. But all the tiny bottles are enamel (that I looked at)...
Posted Image

#40 Brian_B

Brian_B

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts
  • Full Name:Brian Bowers

Posted 02 September 2012 - 03:21 AM

Walmart carries acrylic paints over in the craft area called apple barrel. Both gloss .97 and flat .57 in a myriad of colors.

When you live 100 miles from anyplace that sells model supplies, you make due with what you can get.