#141 JasonFL

JasonFL

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • Full Name:Jason Brackney

Posted 27 November 2012 - 11:56 PM

Maybe you could heat up your parts tree and stretch it out a little thinner ?

That's a pretty good idea pat, does that actually work? I've never done it before, if you have any tips I'd like to know. Thanks.

Another possibility is if you have a multi speed dremel, or any kind of rotary tool, try chucking up a length of plastic sprue (parts tree) and milling it down to the desired thickness. Use the lowest speed possible, and take your time. It will work.
Corey

Thanks Corey, I've thought of that one too. I have a b&d screw gun but I'm running extra low on sanding materials so unless you have another idea on how to mill it down I'm all ears.

#142 fatkidd

fatkidd

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 12:06 AM

have any skewers for kabobs? they might be close to the diameter that you are looking for.

#143 Geno

Geno

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 296 posts
  • Full Name:Gene Mills

Posted 28 November 2012 - 01:41 AM

What a great looking build. I love the old Mercs. keep us posted Jason.

#144 blunc

blunc

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,234 posts
  • Full Name:mike cassidy

Posted 28 November 2012 - 06:22 AM

link to photos, frame/suspension pix are sprinkled around in the set; http://www.flickr.com/photos/blunc/

Edited by blunc, 28 November 2012 - 08:27 PM.

#145 JasonFL

JasonFL

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 933 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 11:53 AM

have any skewers for kabobs? they might be close to the diameter that you are looking for.

Now that's thinking outside the box Paul. Unfortunately I do not have any of those in the house, good idea tho.

What a great looking build. I love the old Mercs. keep us posted Jason.

Thanks Gene, I'll do my best to keep everyone posted.

#146 JasonFL

JasonFL

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 933 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 11:55 AM

link to photos, frame/suspension pix are sprinkled around in the set;

Yea Mike, this is the same thing I saw when I went to your other post. It's. just a big black box for me, no link or photos. Not sure why but that's all I'm seeing.

#147 plowboy

plowboy

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,726 posts
  • Full Name:Roger Hayes

Posted 28 November 2012 - 12:07 PM

Jason, check all of your parts sprues even if you have to go through a few boxes. A lot of times there will be lengths of sprue that are a much smaller diameter. I used to use them all of the time for roll cages etc. until I finally started buying styrene rod.

#148 tooltas

tooltas

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,241 posts
  • Full Name:todd staples

Posted 28 November 2012 - 04:37 PM

go to 711 store use coffee staws they are black plastic :D

#149 Skydime

Skydime

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,358 posts
  • Full Name:Ken Black

Posted 28 November 2012 - 04:50 PM

Hey, that might work! Or maybe you have a WD40 can with the little straw laying around. That should be good for a couple link bars at least.

Edited by Skydime, 28 November 2012 - 04:51 PM.

#150 fatkidd

fatkidd

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 05:39 PM

that's funny...I got online to suggest that very thing,

or...do you use microbrushes? the handles might work for you

#151 blunc

blunc

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 08:29 PM

Yea Mike, this is the same thing I saw when I went to your other post. It's. just a big black box for me, no link or photos. Not sure why but that's all I'm seeing.

darn thing insisted on being a slide show...try going here

http://www.flickr.com/photos/blunc

Edited by blunc, 28 November 2012 - 08:30 PM.

#152 JasonFL

JasonFL

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 933 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 05:51 PM

Jason, check all of your parts sprues even if you have to go through a few boxes. A lot of times there will be lengths of sprue that are a much smaller diameter. I used to use them all of the time for roll cages etc. until I finally started buying styrene rod.

Rodger I cant tell you how many times I went through all my kits and extra parts trees I have and wouldn't you know, not one of them had a smaller thickness. When I get some cash I'm gonna have to figure out what sizes I need and order some up.

#153 JasonFL

JasonFL

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 933 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 05:57 PM

go to 711 store use coffee staws they are black plastic :D/>

that's funny...I got online to suggest that very thing,

or...do you use microbrushes? the handles might work for you

Todd and Paul, I never even thought of that. That's a real good idea. When I run into dunkin donuts the next time I'm gonna have to grab a handful of em'. Could probably use then for a bunch of different things.

Paul, what are the micro brushes you mentioned?

#154 JasonFL

JasonFL

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 933 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 06:04 PM

Hey, that might work! Or maybe you have a WD40 can with the little straw laying around. That should be good for a couple link bars at least.

It's funny you should mention that Ken. I went looking in the closet the other night for my WD40, found the straw but I'm afraid it will give me fish eyes when it's time to paint. On the other hand I found another type of straw from a 3M Dust Remover can that would work but I'm not sure if there are any chemicals in the can that would give me the same problem when it's time to paint. Not sure, I might just use it.

#155 JasonFL

JasonFL

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 933 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 06:09 PM

darn thing insisted on being a slide show...try going here
http://www.flickr.com/photos/blunc

Thanks for that link Mike. A lot of nice photos you took. There were a couple photos that might help me out but I couldn't save them so when I can figure out how to sign back into Flickr I'll just have to friend ya if that's cool with you so I can refer back to them.

#156 rsxse240

rsxse240

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts
  • Full Name:Ken Reed

Posted 29 November 2012 - 06:24 PM

You can always re-appropriate parts from other kits. Sway bars make good fabrication parts.

Honestly though, brass rod is your best bet. Wire clothes hangers are usually a good source, but tend to be a bit thick for control arms/4 links.

I find some of the most useful stuff when I'm not looking for specific things. Go rummage through a thrift store.

#157 JasonFL

JasonFL

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 933 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 07:30 PM

First off I wanted to thank everyone for their help and suggestions.

So far this is what I found lying around the house. As you can see I have a couple different exhaust pipes, paper clip, q-tip post (blue), WD40 straw (red), and a 3M Dust Remover can straw (white).
The ideal thickness would be the 2nd set of exhaust from the top but its the ones I need to use for the Merc, go figure. Next best option would be the 3M straw. Still not sure what I'm gonna use.
Posted Image

I also have a 32 ford kit that has a couple sets of stabilizer/radius bars, is it possible I could use a set of them?

Amongst that problem my other issue is still trying to figure out how I'm going to fit everything (4 link, shocks, exhaust, and brackets) at the rear with the over sized airbags.
As you can see here I did a quick layout where I think the 4 link and shocks will work but its so tight I have no idea how I'm going to squeeze the exhaust by to reach the desired exhaust openings.
Is it realistic to run the pipes over the gas tank and spare tire?
Posted Image

Sorry for all the questions but this is the first time attempting any of this so any sort of help/suggestions/opinions/photos are much appreciated.

#158 JasonFL

JasonFL

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 933 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 07:36 PM

You can always re-appropriate parts from other kits. Sway bars make good fabrication parts.

Honestly though, brass rod is your best bet. Wire clothes hangers are usually a good source, but tend to be a bit thick for control arms/4 links.

I find some of the most useful stuff when I'm not looking for specific things. Go rummage through a thrift store.

Thanks Ken, I was thinking about using some stabilizer/radius bars from my 32 kit. I checked out the metal hangers and they are to thick. Thanks for the help and welcome to the site.

#159 Skydime

Skydime

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,358 posts
  • Full Name:Ken Black

Posted 29 November 2012 - 08:19 PM

Im stumped. My exhaust ends in front of the rear end on my truck. As for fisheyes, throw the straws in the purple pond while stewing on some ideas and let em soak. I'm thinking they might be a little stronger than coffee stirrers. (Stirrers, is that even a word?) :blink:

Edited by Skydime, 29 November 2012 - 08:21 PM.

#160 blunc

blunc

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 08:38 PM

Thanks for that link Mike. A lot of nice photos you took. There were a couple photos that might help me out but I couldn't save them so when I can figure out how to sign back into Flickr I'll just have to friend ya if that's cool with you so I can refer back to them.

That's fine with me. :)