#161 Tom Setzer

Tom Setzer

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 538 posts
  • Full Name:Thomas J.C. Setzer

Posted 29 November 2012 - 09:03 PM

Great Work! I've just spent most of the last hour checking out this build!

#162 JasonFL

JasonFL

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 926 posts
  • Full Name:Jason Brackney

Posted 30 November 2012 - 12:00 AM

Im stumped. My exhaust ends in front of the rear end on my truck. As for fisheyes, throw the straws in the purple pond while stewing on some ideas and let em soak. I'm thinking they might be a little stronger than coffee stirrers. (Stirrers, is that even a word?) :blink:/>

Haha....stirrers, good question. I thought about dumping that exhaust before the rear except I got this killer idea of putting them out of the bumper. You think if I ran them really close together down the middle I could squeeze them over the rear pumpkin and then somehow separate them to exit?
I'm a little new to all this so I'm not even sure what that purple pond is that everyone talks about. I do know if I have any chemicals in the house that are purple. What are some other chemicals guys use for stripping paint/chrome?

#163 JasonFL

JasonFL

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 926 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 12:07 AM

That's fine with me. :)/>

Thanks Mike, I added you. I'm under Perfect Aperture.

Great Work! I've just spent most of the last hour checking out this build!

Thanks a lot Thomas. Sorry it took you so long to look through it all but I appreciate it.

#164 fatkidd

fatkidd

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 431 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 01:58 AM

Paul, what are the micro brushes you mentioned?

here's what I was referring to Posted Image.
I buy them at a LHS or hobby lobby.

#165 tooltas

tooltas

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,182 posts
  • Full Name:todd staples

Posted 30 November 2012 - 07:04 AM

purple power at dollor tree works great. On the links the go twolink can go on  axle housen and the lower fit the frame

#166 ll Brandon ll

ll Brandon ll

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 244 posts
  • Full Name:Brandon Reid

Posted 30 November 2012 - 08:16 AM

The exhaust can run over the spare, but not the gas tank. IRL it would serve to heat up the gas and would burn out your pump. Will there be room to run it to either side? As for your 4 link, you could always do a 3 link instead, two bars straight out and one cross bar. Would save you some room. As for sizes, Ive used 2mm rod for mine, so anything around that size is dead on, imo. Anything smaller will be too weak.

#167 ll Brandon ll

ll Brandon ll

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 08:24 AM

Very clean build btw, the fab work looks great!

#168 JasonFL

JasonFL

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 926 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 11:33 AM

here's what I was referring to [img]http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b182/fatkidd/microbrush.jpg[/img].I buy them at a LHS or hobby lobby.

Ahh ok, I kinda thought that's what you were referring to. I actually do have some that I was looking at but the ones I have are to thick. Man, you have some good ideas though. You've really been brain storming over there, I appreciate it Paul.

#169 JasonFL

JasonFL

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 926 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 11:48 AM

purple power at dollor tree works great. On the links the go twolink can go on  axle housen and the lower fit the frame

I'll have to look for it next time I'm by the dollar store. As for the linkage, I was going to do the tri 4 link like you suggested but then I worry about trying to get the exhaust over the links connected to the housing. I may have to spread the links on top out a bit and squeeze the exhaust over the top and then some how separate the exhaust their own way. Thanks again for the help

#170 JasonFL

JasonFL

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 926 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 12:21 PM

The exhaust can run over the spare, but not the gas tank. IRL it would serve to heat up the gas and would burn out your pump. Will there be room to run it to either side? As for your 4 link, you could always do a 3 link instead, two bars straight out and one cross bar. Would save you some room. As for sizes, Ive used 2mm rod for mine, so anything around that size is dead on, imo. Anything smaller will be too weak.

Very clean build btw, the fab work looks great!

Yea Brandon, I didn't think the exhaust woulda been safe over the gas tank like that, just running low on options. The exhaust pretty much has to run down the middle from the front due to the bags. No room to have them fit off to the side. After they pass over the rear I need to make them go into different directions to go out the rear bumper. That's why I asked about the gas tank option. I never thought about the 3 link, I'll look into that tonight. I'll keep that size in mind while I'm looking for the links and if I ever have extra cash to order some supplies.
Thanks for the compliment. It doesn't quit compare to that killer full frame build you got going on. One day I'll have to attempt the full frame build.

#171 ll Brandon ll

ll Brandon ll

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 04:46 PM

Can you post up some pics of the assembled rear with the surrounding area, I will see if I can maybe brainstorm something for your exhaust.

#172 JasonFL

JasonFL

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 926 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 05:38 PM

Can you post up some pics of the assembled rear with the surrounding area, I will see if I can maybe brainstorm something for your exhaust.

Yea bud, check out p8 post #158. It's rough but I think that's the layout I'm gonna go with. Then ill run the exhaust tightly down the middle, over the rear, and split it up around the gas tank/spare tire.

#173 Del Austin

Del Austin

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  • Full Name:Del Austin II

Posted 30 November 2012 - 06:21 PM

Maybe you could heat up your parts tree and stretch it out a little thinner ?

That is what I would try.

#174 ll Brandon ll

ll Brandon ll

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 07:32 PM

The only issue I see with that, and thats if you are going for realism, is that your exhaust would cause the suspension to bind up. Now, you could try something like this if you dont mind changing up your design a little:

IMG_4861.jpg

Or something more like what you want. All the stuff I was able to find shows the exhaust running up above the rear end and then around the gas tank. Where is yours going to exit?

2012%2003-12%202nd%20Chance%20Camaro%20H

Edited by ll Brandon ll, 30 November 2012 - 07:33 PM.

#175 Skydime

Skydime

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,358 posts
  • Full Name:Ken Black

Posted 30 November 2012 - 07:53 PM

Haha....stirrers, good question. I thought about dumping that exhaust before the rear except I got this killer idea of putting them out of the bumper. You think if I ran them really close together down the middle I could squeeze them over the rear pumpkin and then somehow separate them to exit?
I'm a little new to all this so I'm not even sure what that purple pond is that everyone talks about. I do know if I have any chemicals in the house that are purple. What are some other chemicals guys use for stripping paint/chrome?

My best opinion...it's a custom.  Ditch the spare tire all together and locate a fuel cell from another kit.  Throw the fuel cell in the trunk and fill the gaps left in the floor.  If you don't have any styrene stock right now, use an old "For Sale" sign, a spare flat hood, or one of those credit card things with no raised letters everyone sends you in the mail to fill in the gap.  (I make roll pans out of those cards sometimes.)  With those items out of the way, your worries will now be minimumized.

Also as described above, the "purple pond" is simply degreaser.  It's called that because it's highly popular to use Purple Power or a similar brand in that color.  Dollar Tree also has a brand called "L.A.s Totally Awesome.  I use it quite a bit...It is in a clear bottle and has a yellowish tint to it.  The reason so many people refer to it here as the"purple pond" is because they pour it into a container slightly larger than the model when they want to strip all the paint from it...just let it sit a couple days and then take a brush to it under running cold water when it comes out to get the old unwanted paint removed.  In essence, it soaks in a pond of it.

Edited by Skydime, 30 November 2012 - 08:02 PM.

#176 JasonFL

JasonFL

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 926 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 03:21 PM

The only issue I see with that, and thats if you are going for realism, is that your exhaust would cause the suspension to bind up. Now, you could try something like this if you dont mind changing up your design a little:

[img]http://i981.photobucket.com/albums/ae297/TotalCostInvolved/Mustang/IMG_4861.jpg[/img]

Or something more like what you want. All the stuff I was able to find shows the exhaust running up above the rear end and then around the gas tank. Where is yours going to exit?

[img]http://garagescene.net/gallery3/var/resizes/Builders/Sportmachines/702ndChance/2012%2003-12%202nd%20Chance%20Camaro%20High%20Speed%20Welding%20001.JPG[/img]

Thanks a lot for the photos Brandon. I'm pretty sure that's tha way I'm gonna go, up over the rear and around the tank. I might cut the tank and the spare tire out but still not sure, just kinda playin it by year. If you look on page 2 post #21 it shows where the exhaust will exist.

#177 JasonFL

JasonFL

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 926 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 03:38 PM

My best opinion...it's a custom.  Ditch the spare tire all together and locate a fuel cell from another kit.  Throw the fuel cell in the trunk and fill the gaps left in the floor.  If you don't have any styrene stock right now, use an old "For Sale" sign, a spare flat hood, or one of those credit card things with no raised letters everyone sends you in the mail to fill in the gap.  (I make roll pans out of those cards sometimes.)  With those items out of the way, your worries will now be minimumized.

Also as described above, the "purple pond" is simply degreaser.  It's called that because it's highly popular to use Purple Power or a similar brand in that color.  Dollar Tree also has a brand called "L.A.s Totally Awesome.  I use it quite a bit...It is in a clear bottle and has a yellowish tint to it.  The reason so many people refer to it here as the"purple pond" is because they pour it into a container slightly larger than the model when they want to strip all the paint from it...just let it sit a couple days and then take a brush to it under running cold water when it comes out to get the old unwanted paint removed.  In essence, it soaks in a pond of it.

Ken, I have thought about that a lot but I'm still not sure. If I put the fuel cell in the trunk then I have to open that up and that's something I really wasn't planning on doing. I'll have to start saving all them old credit cards. I've used them for other things just never thought about making roll pans out of them.
Thanks for the help on the purple pond stuff. I'm pretty sure I have 1 or 2 other different kind of degreasers in the house. I know one is simple green,not sure what the other is called. Is this what everyone uses to strip chrome as well? I'll have to start testing them out.

#178 ll Brandon ll

ll Brandon ll

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 10:08 PM

That stuff call Totally Awesome is THE best chrome stripper Ive ever used. It strips chrome clean in under 30 minutes. And its pretty good on paint too. As for your fuel tank, you dont really have to open the trunk, it could just be one of those trust me its there sort of things. Thats what Im doing for my Camaro since there will be a rear diffusor covering that area up. Just keep it simple, thats almost always the best solution.

#179 Skydime

Skydime

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,358 posts
  • Full Name:Ken Black

Posted 03 December 2012 - 06:07 AM

Ken, I have thought about that a lot but I'm still not sure. If I put the fuel cell in the trunk then I have to open that up and that's something I really wasn't planning on doing. I'll have to start saving all them old credit cards. I've used them for other things just never thought about making roll pans out of them.
Thanks for the help on the purple pond stuff. I'm pretty sure I have 1 or 2 other different kind of degreasers in the house. I know one is simple green,not sure what the other is called. Is this what everyone uses to strip chrome as well? I'll have to start testing them out.

Yeah, a lotta people remove chrome with it. Others use oven cleaner. I like glass cleaner like Windex because I always have some and it usually works quickly.

#180 tribalgt03

tribalgt03

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 135 posts
  • Full Name:david lee roth

Posted 05 February 2013 - 03:10 PM

Ive gotta copy that faux bag idea...maybe not exactly..I had a different idea,but same concept..lol..if that makes any sense,but this car you're building is looking far superior to mine...you've got quite a skill set at this bro