32 replies to this topic

#21 58 Impala

58 Impala

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 744 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 12:28 AM

If you can find a model 737 it has even more room than the one niteowl is showing. The Plano tackle boxes are real durable, I've been using mine for three years.

#22 Brian_B

Brian_B

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts
  • Full Name:Brian Bowers

Posted 27 August 2012 - 01:05 PM

Well..I found a big plano box. :( Its the "angle" style. In other words the "trays" are set at a 15 degree angle toward the top. Which in turn makes the top storage area slope from the back depth..to zero at the front of the box. No flat deeper area to keep paint bottles.

Instead of the deeper area on one side for the spinner bits. It has small areas on both sides..which have almost no depth. Cant keep taller items there.

Instead of the larger opening one side of the front..its divided into small ones on each side too. Not much way to store any larger items.

Overall, I was not happy with it for my modeling supplies. Looks great for a fisherman though.

I will wait a bit and order one online. Thanks so much for your help and suggestions everyone. :)

Right now, everything is sitting in a cardboard box. Hahahahaha

Edited by Brian_B, 27 August 2012 - 02:31 PM.

#23 RodneyBad

RodneyBad

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,497 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 06:32 PM

I use to use an Old Tackle box and it worked great.
A friend had a Actual hobby box so I copied it and modified it with 2 extra Drawers and a bit taller.
This way I could carry all my supplies and 2 kits.
I built it back in Feb 1993. :D
Posted Image

#24 stevepye

stevepye

MCM Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Full Name:Steven Pye

Posted 30 August 2012 - 07:32 PM

You bring up a great point! When we travel, I like to take school pencil box -- plastic, maybe 4"x8"s1.5", give or take some. Snap lid is attached. I take basic tools, but more important, I figure out what I am going to work on, based upon what extra time mom and dad project that we will have. I have taken showbox-size Sterlite containers that hold some paint, parts, adhesives and tools. When it's just to kill a little time, I might take some 1/35 military figures or some 1/24 figures. These require a minimum of tools, putty, paints, and not much room. I have a small, flexible mat, and a self-healing mat, both under 6"x6" -- the cutting mat is slightly smaller than the flexi-mat. Then I use the tray that is usued for the glassware and such as a "catcher" for parts. In fact, we've had some night-desk people at motels/hotels just give us one. An engine is also a good take-along project. Just remember to take some extra wiring and plumbing material, and extra PE pieces! I like to use small zip-top craft bags to keep things separated. They range in size from about 1"x1" up to 3"x6". VERY handy!!!

Edited by stevepye, 31 August 2012 - 04:30 PM.

#25 stevepye

stevepye

MCM Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 07:35 PM

I also like to take 1/35 military vehicles. I prepaint some of the pieces, and bring touch-up paint. All I need is my knife (and extra blades), tweezers, toothpicks, needles to apply CA (I stick the ends in a small piece of model railroad cork roadbed), a small amount of aluminum foil and some files. A cutting mat is always necessary, and I build inside one of the small trays (about 10"x14") that they use for glasswear and coffee stuff in the room, they're great to work in!

Edited by stevepye, 31 August 2012 - 04:28 PM.

#26 Chuck Most

Chuck Most

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,756 posts
  • Full Name:^See Above

Posted 31 August 2012 - 04:19 PM

I like these ideas... but could anyone tell me how I could curb my problem of constantly losing parts when I'm working in one room of the house before I take my hobby on the road with me? :D

#27 stevepye

stevepye

MCM Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 04:26 PM

Beg a motel to give you one of those small serving trays that I mentioned above! One hotel was kinda hard-core, so it cost $2.00, but well worth it.

#28 niteowl7710

niteowl7710

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,588 posts
  • Full Name:Daddy Day Care Now Open!

Posted 01 September 2012 - 01:02 AM

I like these ideas... but could anyone tell me how I could curb my problem of constantly losing parts when I'm working in one room of the house before I take my hobby on the road with me? :D

Sounds like you need one of those hobby "bibs"! Looks like the kind of over the neck smock a butcher would wear except it attaches to the table providing a "catch basin" so you "Never lose a part again!" (as the ad copy went) You also never walk again after you forget you're wearing it and try to quickly get up from your chair.

#29 socal76

socal76

MCM Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Full Name:Steven Clark

Posted 05 September 2012 - 07:25 PM

I use a Plano 3730 that has adjustable compartments to keep enought tools, glues, a few odds and ends parts, brushes, clamps, etc. Then just grab a kit or two. The reason I like the Plano box is you can drop it and the latches will stay closed! Don't ask how I know this! Even dropped it once and that time I had a bottle of paint in it too. Surpised me that the paint jar didn't break, but maybe I got lucky that one time. But then again the Testors liquid cement jar has never broken either. I have kept the old square jars from years ago because they fit easily in the comprtment. New bottles are too tall, so I just dump them into the old square ones and go. Couple of kits and the boc fit in a plastic bag and easy to carry into the motel.

#30 usmc_moose

usmc_moose

MCM Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Full Name:Eric Lee Honomichl

Posted 09 November 2012 - 06:05 PM

If I'm goon on a short trip I use a pencil bag from the dollar store and just bring the box with a few pieces I am working on

#31 usmc_moose

usmc_moose

MCM Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 06:05 PM

If I'm goon on a short trip I use a pencil bag from the dollar store and just bring the box with a few pieces I am working on

#32 usmc_moose

usmc_moose

MCM Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 06:06 PM

Sorry about my spelling

#33 Draggon

Draggon

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,743 posts
  • Full Name:Glenn Asher

Posted 10 November 2012 - 08:42 AM

Being an old slotracer, I had a great pit box. Just swapped out the slot stuff for models. In 1968 I built an AMT 32 Ford while on the road with the parents doing vacation. They were none too happy when I sprayed some of the back seat gold. Imagine painting a model in the back seat at 65mph. Similar thing happened a couple years later. While building the AMT Chevy ll AWB in our motel room, the dresser "accidentally" got a lot of overspray. The model, however, came out as one of my best!