Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 32 Ford "Deuce" 10/27/17 '59 Impala dash!

Foxer

This is based on AMT's first '32 Ford kit and the first '32 kit I ever built back in the early '60's when it was first released. I've wanted to do a radically sectioned and channeled '32 for some time and got started a few years ago. With my daughter's van nearing completion and Christian Pamp's AMT 32 Ford community build rearing it's head my interest got recycled. I can't post this in Christian's thread because it uses a Revell frame and maybe some other pieces. I posted a thread 3 over years ago asking weather to chop it or not and got many opinions that helped me decide where it was going. The top is staying unchopped but I did change the grill to an aerodynamic one I had from something else. I've thought had on the tires and I'm leaving the Prowler big and littles .. I like the rake it has.

The body was glued to the fenders today and the hood sanding completed. It looks like the bottom of the front shroud needs to be raised, although the front wheels are just slipped in place and the front will go up a little when they are centered on the axle.

I tested many engines and those that had a low enough induction to fit under the hood were too wide. I settled on a Ford SHO from a Taurus kit that donated it's front for another build .. my Dad's '92 Crown Victoria. I always liked the look of the first SHO engines and some engineering to turn it 90 degrees and fit should make it right for this build. It's not a period correct rod, just something correct for THIS period I'm building it in.
32Ford FenderWiden DSC9130

32 Ford wider DSC0786

Nose DSC 0855

Nose DSC 0854

The fenders have widened 3" each and these photos shows it before primer to see the added strip. It was added slowly, alighn, hold tight with fingers and glue about a half inch at a time with liquid plastic cement.
32Ford DSC9135

32Ford DSC9138

Edited by Foxer

I love this rod. Just the overall look with the rims, channeled and not chopped with that different grill really seperate it from the rest. I'm pretty sure I've seen this somewhere else but not sure. Nice work,keep it going, I can't wait to see it done.

I stuck the track nose on a whim yesterday and was still debating cause I like the '32 grill, but you guys have sealed it ... will start making it fit! :) Thanks for the comments.

Lots of body work to fit the grill, trim out the hood and mold the rear fenders in. Headlights have me really wondering what to do.

Edited by Foxer

Not much to show for it, but this is in the research phase, mostly concerning the SHO motor. It looks good for a fit. The height is still the major dimension .. going to try to use the cast on motor mounts but need some larger angles to make mounts to the frame. Also meed some new brass tubes for the front wheels. It looks like a trip to the far away hobby shop since the LHS owner is away on vacation this week and this build is BURNING! :lol:

I got the nose tied down with some added side pieces and looks like it needs about a one eigth strip to extend it from the hood. This puts it in a good position in front of the fenders and will help with the transition.

Adapting the SHO motor has been involving most of my research. The chrome was stripped although it will be Alcladed in the end after cleaning up the mold lines. Some research on the distributor "box" cleared up hot to do the ignition wiring. The box will be detailed with an aftermarket coil box on top and look better. A transmission of unknown origin has been mated the SHO. It;s the right length and size and will get a frame support later once the motor mounts are done.

32 Ford Wide DSC 0849

Thanks for all the comments as they are especially helping during this research, fitting and FUN phase! :)

Edited by Foxer

I like this, Mike. It's very different and I think it'll look great when it's done.

That car needs to be finished in some kind of subdued yet flashy color- like a deep candy or pearl color, like maroon or navy blue.

Those wheels I think would look best chromed.

Charlie Larkin

I was thinking about this a lot and I thought that if you have prowler rims why not do the same headlight setup. It would go great with the narrowed front and wouldn't take away from the nose or overall look. just an idea

I'm thinking now! It's late for me right now, but will be in the shop tomorrow looking back on those Prowler headlights ... I was thinking of something molded in and this may be perfect! Thanks for the thought , Jason!

Edited by Foxer

I like this, Mike. It's very different and I think it'll look great when it's done.

That car needs to be finished in some kind of subdued yet flashy color- like a deep candy or pearl color, like maroon or navy blue.

Those wheels I think would look best chromed.

Charlie Larkin

The color has been edging it's way into my head lately, Charlie. It's always been black in my head, but I know it needs something more noteworthy. Dark just seems natural. I'm leaning heavily toward some clear over chrome on the engine .. the intake pipes and cam cover like in these photos ...

engine

user9387 pic1172 1313462413

a deep red or blue candy would fit these engine colors. Not sure where I'd find a maroon candy .. but I'm gonna be looking.

I'm so happy I had such success with my first Alclad job on my daughter's van. this one is going to need some chrome replaced for sure! Definitely the wheels!

Edited by Foxer

I was thinking about this a lot and I thought that if you have prowler rims why not do the same headlight setup. It would go great with the narrowed front and wouldn't take away from the nose or overall look. just an idea

It's tomorrow, but have a few duties before I get full down in the shop. I pulled out the Prowler and WoW! The headlights are installed in a separate pod from the body ... this will be a pretty simple operation. It looks like I could even cut the shroud back short and leave it open as a hood vent! What an idea, Jason! .. thanks again for the input. I have to get the front extension for the nose on before I can really fit the Prowler headlights but they look good! :) I know all the :old school" guys will hate this but I"m old school too .. started building car models in 1958 with AMT's first .. and this is 2012 .. I build what looks good to me and this will LOOK GOOD!

I should have looked back on the Prowler as it has other parts that could be useful. The engine could have been a better fit, but it also has a rear trans-axle so maybe it would be more work adapting the suspension. Anyway, I like the look of the SHO engine too much and it's staying.

Edited by Foxer

It's tomorrow, but have a few duties before I get full down in the shop. I pulled out the Prowler and WoW! The headlights are installed in a separate pod from the body ... this will be a pretty simple operation. It looks like I could even cut the shroud back short and leave it open as a hood vent! What an idea, Jason! .. thanks again for the input. I have to get the front extension for the nose on before I can really fit the Prowler headlights but they look good! :) I know all the :old school" guys will hate this but I"m old school too .. started building car models in 1958 with AMT's first .. and this is 2012 .. I build what looks good to me and this will LOOK GOOD!

I should have looked back on the Prowler as it has other parts that could be useful. The engine could have been a better fit, but it also has a rear trans-axle so maybe it would be more work adapting the suspension. Anyway, I like the look of the SHO engine too much and it's staying.

Glad I was able to help mike. I'm excited to see how your going to incorporate them with that nose. I personally think all the old school guys will still love this rod. It still has that old school feel with a modern touch. Anyway you look at it, just remember your building it for you, not everyone else, so if it looks good to you then that's all that matters.

Work on the nose AND Prowler headlight adaption to the hood has been progression, abet slowly. I began thinking the nose should be extended 1/8" to the hood and added some tabs around the nose to wrap some thin sheet. The tabs can be seen in the first photo. With the decision to use the Prowler headlights I could see they needed to extend beyond the front edge of the hood to clear the fenders. So, the extension is being added to the hood. It still needs another wrap or two of .2 styrene and then can be filed and sanded to match the hood. I can see I have to shove the headlights back a bit from the location in the photos to get the clearance. The front edge of the extension will be the blue line at the hood top. Once I get the hood extension shaped I can get the placement of the headlights fixed in place. I cut the back of the headlight mounting to form a vent/scoop to the engine and a little thinning with the dremal gives it a nice opening. The headlight area will have to be ground out from the rear to allow installation of the headlights themselves from inside the hood.
Headlights DSC 0857
HeadlightsDSC 0860
engine mounts DSC 0868

I've been working on the engine mounts to get the engine position set so I can carry on with that installation ans see what clearances I need. The air intake on the SHO engine faces to the rear so I had to grind out some firewall to allow the new intake plumbing to turn 180 degrees back into the side of the engine. This will be bent from some soft planters wire and just end in a K&N filter I happened to have.

Edited by Foxer

Those painted engines are pretty cool, Mike. I like the blue.

I was actually thinking body-color, but if you did some type of blue on the engine with a coordinating or matching exterior and a light gray interior, I think you'd have something there.

I would suggest a candy blue using silver with Tamiya or Testors clear/transparent blue.

I was giving thought to a candy maroon. You might be able to achieve that using Model Master Burgundy Metallic enamel thinned out to near-transparent, over a gold base. I would recommend a tan interior with that...or, for red overload, Humbrol Crimson, overcoated with flat and semi-gloss as appropriate. If you can't find Humbrol out there, let me know, Spare Time stocks it and I can grab you a can if you need it.

Charlie Larkin

I was actually thinking body-color, but if you did some type of blue on the engine with a coordinating or matching exterior and a light gray interior, I think you'd have something there.

I would suggest a candy blue using silver with Tamiya or Testors clear/transparent blue.

I was giving thought to a candy maroon. You might be able to achieve that using Model Master Burgundy Metallic enamel thinned out to near-transparent, over a gold base. I would recommend a tan interior with that...or, for red overload, Humbrol Crimson, overcoated with flat and semi-gloss as appropriate. If you can't find Humbrol out there, let me know, Spare Time stocks it and I can grab you a can if you need it.

Charlie Larkin

I know you were on body color, Charlie. :)

I got some Candy Apple Red and I'm going to try that over some maroon and see what comes of that. I'm glad to see there's some transparent blue around to experiment with too.

Not much for an update but the nose is taking better with lots of sanding and shaping. Time for some body putty now. I like how the extension has pushed the front of the hood forward in profile.

hood with holes DSC 0877

hood headlight holes DSC 0883

I got lucky at the hobby shop an hour away as they had two of the Maroon colors I wanted to try. Also got some flat red. Now I have to put some Candy Apple Red over them to see how they look. I might have to try some darker primer as the white spoons made them look pretty light

Maroons DSC 0863

Edited by Foxer