Randy D

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 575 posts
  • Full Name:Randy Ditton

Posted 01 October 2012 - 05:05 PM

Hi Mike,

You have really got this one looking right!!! Can't wait to see some paint :) :)

Randy

#42 Tom Setzer

Tom Setzer

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 538 posts
  • Full Name:Thomas J.C. Setzer

Posted 01 October 2012 - 06:37 PM

Great build, I also like the sectioned body, with the top not chopped. At first when you first mochted up the nose I didn't like it, but after your later work on it I now think it looks Great! I like the Burgandy paint!

#43 Foxer

Foxer

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,935 posts
  • Full Name:Mike DeRagon

Posted 02 October 2012 - 02:47 AM

Thanks for these comments guys! :)

Now I'm figgiting with the rear and planning to extend the fenders across the body. There's a crude photo in a question I asked here about bending the edge to match the fenders.
I'm also thinking of inserting the Prowler tail lights in the ends of the fenders. This would be a hole cutout and insertion but I'm still debating it while thinking of other options.

#44 charlie8575

charlie8575

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,593 posts
  • Full Name:Charlie

Posted 02 October 2012 - 10:19 AM

I really like where this is going Mike, and I think that color choice is really good for this one. I might suggest a lighter red for some accents around the window, but I do like what I see.

Charlie Larkin

#45 JasonFL

JasonFL

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 928 posts
  • Full Name:Jason Brackney

Posted 02 October 2012 - 04:18 PM

Mike, not trying to swamp your build with photos but I was looking around at some cool garage photos and came across this beauty and couldn't help myslef but think of your build again. I'm a huge fan of what your doing to your 32 so I tought it would help give you a little inspiration. I like the work on the front end and what you have planned for the rear, your really making this flow nicely. Keep up the good work.
Posted Image

#46 Foxer

Foxer

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,935 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 04:41 AM

Thanks for that photo, Jason! That is a good looker. The grill caught my attention .. this is similar to what I had in mind. I need to find a mesh or screen that will contour to the curve of the front.

EDIT: OH MY! .. I looked up that roadster and saw it's a VOLVO concept! ... who would have thought.

Edited by Foxer, 03 October 2012 - 06:04 AM.

#47 cobraman

cobraman

Crazy 'bout Cobras!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,583 posts
  • Full Name:Ray Kurn

Posted 03 October 2012 - 04:45 AM

This is really looking nice !

#48 Foxer

Foxer

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,935 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 05:38 AM

This needed the primer to say the hood is done! :)
Posted Image
Posted Image

I just saw pasting this show up that I can make some clearance inside the rear fenders that will allow the rear wheels to straighten up a bit. Amd it looks like the headlight lenses will fit ... will have to see if I like the look or not.

Gonna start a search for something to fill the grill not starting with some fine screen. Any ideas will be welcome.

Edited by Foxer, 03 October 2012 - 05:41 AM.

#49 blunc

blunc

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,037 posts
  • Full Name:mike cassidy

Posted 03 October 2012 - 07:25 AM

hmmm, the headlights in that position seem to be fighting with the flow of your concept, have you considered mounting those light assemblies to the front fenders below the level of the top of the fender?
kinda like this...
Posted Image

#50 frozono

frozono

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts
  • Full Name:Luis Sanchez

Posted 03 October 2012 - 08:34 AM

nice....... i like it.......... need to see more...... B)

#51 Foxer

Foxer

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,935 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 10:00 AM

hmmm, the headlights in that position seem to be fighting with the flow of your concept, have you considered mounting those light assemblies to the front fenders below the level of the top of the fender?
kinda like this...
Posted Image

That's interesting. I do see your point though it's probably too late now. For various reasons, one being clearance to the fender, the lights kept moving up little by little. In the end centering them on the body molding looked right but they would have looked good with the tops level with the molding. The fenders didn't want them this low.

Edited by Foxer, 03 October 2012 - 10:01 AM.

#52 Foxer

Foxer

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,935 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 07:48 AM

I moved on to the back and epoxied the sheet to extend the rear fenders across the back. This was done after some great ideas in a question I posted here asking for recommendations.
It's just gooped with epoxy underneath with a couple sheets of brass over the joint. The curve should get more apparent once further work is done when the glue fully cures and some primer applied.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#53 charlie8575

charlie8575

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,593 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 09:34 AM

I really like this, Mike.

For the grille, how about thin styrene rod and made a series of vertical slats, framed with a thin piece of round brass rod (or possibly some wire) bent to the form of the opening, and then applied so it sits flush, using four very small pieces of brass off the side to secure it. Essentially, the grille would install from behind and then the ears would have the appearance/function similar to the ears some real cars use to bolt their grilles in.

I would paint it body-color, or perhaps use stainless steel Metalizer for the finish.

Charlie Larkin

#54 Foxer

Foxer

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,935 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 10:23 AM

I really like this, Mike.

For the grille, how about thin styrene rod and made a series of vertical slats, framed with a thin piece of round brass rod (or possibly some wire) bent to the form of the opening, and then applied so it sits flush, using four very small pieces of brass off the side to secure it. Essentially, the grille would install from behind and then the ears would have the appearance/function similar to the ears some real cars use to bolt their grilles in.

I would paint it body-color, or perhaps use stainless steel Metalizer for the finish.

Charlie Larkin

That's almost scarey to think about making, Charlie! Just getting some rod to the shape of the grill may be beyond me.

I like your idea of vertical slats, though. I'm thinking about vertical sheets that would complete the rounded shape of the nose. That might be easier to handle. Five slats maybe and .03 or .04 thick that could be molded to the body and body color. Just thinking out loud ... that's a lot of work too.

#55 Foxer

Foxer

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,935 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 02:23 PM

I was on a run today ... ended with the first primer over the rear end after a little putty for the rough spots. Now I can sit back and ponder tail lights and maybe a bumper. The two body moldings at the trunk sides will be extended to the bottom of the body to break that wide expanse.

And suggestions will be appreciated for tail lights.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

I'm overjoyed at getting the fender end curved to match so well! :)

Edited by Foxer, 07 October 2012 - 02:25 PM.

#56 bryan_m

bryan_m

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,501 posts
  • Full Name:Bryan Mccallum

Posted 07 October 2012 - 02:27 PM

lookin cool!

i have no idea of what to suggest for tail lights.......

cheers
bryan

#57 charlie8575

charlie8575

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,593 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 02:46 PM

But, Mike, you're an engineer, if it's physically and structurally possible, you can make it! :) Just ask my dad (aerospace engineer.)

I was thinking about this and making some refinements to my idea based on your thoughts....take some flat 1/8" wide stock, and notch it similar to the way you'd notch floor joists at the ends to seat on sills. They'll stand well-proud of the rest of the nose, making sanding to shape easy...well, easier. I would suggest using three of four instead of five, as that might fit a rather small opening better visually.

I must say again, though, I REALLY like this. And as you well know, this isn't my type of build, but I think your idea and execution has been super.

Charlie Larkin

#58 Foxer

Foxer

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,935 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 05:02 PM

When you say it like that, joist ends, I understand fully!! :lol: That would work well as they would be part of the body .. glued secure .. and would sand to shape easily.

#59 JasonFL

JasonFL

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 928 posts
  • Full Name:Jason Brackney

Posted 07 October 2012 - 07:58 PM

That rear looks great, flowin real nice. My first thought for a tail light suggestion would be a long LED tail light across the whole bottom to compliment that long rear. Or maybe two long LEDs on each side and seperate it with a flip down or frenched in plate. Could always make the lights out of old scrap red transparent parts tree. So much you could to with it, look forward to more progress. Keep it comin

Edited by JasonFL, 07 October 2012 - 08:01 PM.

#60 blunc

blunc

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,037 posts
  • Full Name:mike cassidy

Posted 07 October 2012 - 08:23 PM

I suggest '66 GTO tail lights in a rolled pan. I also suggest radius-ing the corners of the fenders.

You could also try some graphic design ideas like I did with your head lights...play with a photo of the rear by pasting different tail light ideas on various spots to see what hits the sweet spot.