#101 Danny Lectro

Danny Lectro

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 398 posts
  • Full Name:See my signature.

Posted 28 November 2013 - 07:49 AM

Wow, this looks really good. Nice idea on using the SHO v6.

My thought for the wheels would be gunmetal. It looks dark and menacing, but doesn't just blend in with the black of the tires.

#102 o-man

o-man

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,685 posts
  • Full Name:Oscar White

Posted 28 November 2013 - 10:17 AM

If there isn't going to be any chrome trim on body, then I agree with gunmetal. 

#103 horsepower

horsepower

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,067 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 03:14 PM

I came into this build really late, as I could have saved you a lot of work on that SHO motor, waaaaay back when SCCA ran a truck series, Saleen Racing ran Ford Rangers with the SHO motor, connected to the stock, Ranger 5 speed trans, now for the work saving part, they somehow turned the intake plenums 180 degrees, with the intake portion facing front, I don't know if you can still find any pictures of these, but they look like they came from the factory that way, its a real shame Ford didn't pick up on it as an option, it would have definitely made for a real street sleeper.

#104 charlie8575

charlie8575

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,831 posts
  • Full Name:Charlie

Posted 28 November 2013 - 11:21 PM

That looks really good Mike!

Wheels- for the whole high-tech thing, perhaps something to represent polished aluminum? I understand Metalizer Aluminum Plate does a pretty good job at that. Perhaps some charcoal accents for them, such as the rim lips and hubs?

Charlie Larkin

#105 Tourpretendent

Tourpretendent

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Full Name:See Below

Posted 29 November 2013 - 02:20 AM

I really like your model, for the paint on the wheels I like matt black.

I'll folow your build.

Regards, Ronald

#106 Foxer

Foxer

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,385 posts
  • Full Name:Mike DeRagon

Posted 29 November 2013 - 05:00 AM

I really like the suggestions of some form of black or gunmetal on the wheels. I did a crude Photoshop (I need to get back to refining my PS skills) but it shows the effect good enough. Now to go through my graphite and black paints to get the right ones that won't get lost against the tires. I'm thinking I'll use the same paint on the frame and some other selected parts.

I've had tan leather in my head all along for the interior but maybe gray should be considered.

Thanks for the suggestions!

greywheelsDSC_1365_zpsb64b9702.jpg

Edited by Foxer, 29 November 2013 - 05:07 AM.

#107 Foxer

Foxer

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,385 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 05:06 AM

I came into this build really late, as I could have saved you a lot of work on that SHO motor, waaaaay back when SCCA ran a truck series, Saleen Racing ran Ford Rangers with the SHO motor, connected to the stock, Ranger 5 speed trans, now for the work saving part, they somehow turned the intake plenums 180 degrees, with the intake portion facing front, I don't know if you can still find any pictures of these, but they look like they came from the factory that way, its a real shame Ford didn't pick up on it as an option, it would have definitely made for a real street sleeper.

That's interesting about reversing the intake plenum ... it would have kept the air intake from burying itself in the firewall! It's probably too late to try it now, unfortunately. :(

#108 Foxer

Foxer

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,385 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 06:12 AM

Small update for 2014. I decided the hood needed to be hinged since it would look bare with just a bare hood removal. It ended up pretty simple by just  drilling for a brass rod thru the fender base thru the lower hood. You can see the holes in the photo. I then inserted a brass tube thru the hood so a slightly bent pin would give some stiffness to the hinge. I had to sand the lower hood some to insure ground clearance when open and noticed the top needed some leveling also where the front track nose met the original hood. It looks like some thin strips will also be needed to narrow the gap at the body. All in all, I'm happy with how it all went together.

hoodhingeDSC_1405_zpsaa3f1757.jpg

Now I need to figure how I will cap the rod ends where they show inside the fenders ... maybe a nut to hold and cap the rod. I'd appreciate any ideas as this will be highly visible from the front.

Edited by Foxer, 07 January 2014 - 06:15 AM.

#109 crazyrichard

crazyrichard

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,493 posts
  • Full Name:richard gelens

Posted 08 January 2014 - 05:09 AM

looking great awsome progress ...

#110 bob29579

bob29579

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 03:29 PM

Looking great, but I'm not sure it's going to look too menacing in red.   I really like how you've done this and the amount of work you've put into it.  It might be kind of late to mention, but I wonder if the trunk needs to extend down lower and be a bit longer, maybe with the license plate on the trunk when it lifts ?  

#111 Foxer

Foxer

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,385 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 03:35 AM

Looking great, but I'm not sure it's going to look too menacing in red.   I really like how you've done this and the amount of work you've put into it.  It might be kind of late to mention, but I wonder if the trunk needs to extend down lower and be a bit longer, maybe with the license plate on the trunk when it lifts ?  

I appreciate the your comments. I think the "menace" in red may take a hit, but a lot will depend on if I can get the right camera angle. I got convinced by others that it DID need something brighter than the Black I originally had in mind.

The rear end does end up with "panties" showing with the huge rear tires pushing it's skirt up! I'm painting the frame, rear end and all original chrome with Metalizer Gunmetal ... hopefully that will pull the back down a bit to the eye. I also had a thought about mudflaps, but that just doesn't seem right. I DO agree it needs something to pull the rear together ... maybe next mockup will give a hint of what it needs.  I'm planning no bumpers at this point, but maybe there's something there to fool the eye.

#112 Del Austin

Del Austin

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • Full Name:Del Austin II

Posted 10 January 2014 - 12:25 PM

The wheels would also (IMO) look good painted Magnesium. 

An idea to cover up the hood hinge rod would be to make some simple thin plates the same shape as the sides of the splash apron and paint them body color. Bet nobody would even notice they were there.

#113 Foxer

Foxer

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,385 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 11:28 AM

It's been a couple months but a lot was going on here. I have been fine tuning things, as can be seen in the paint . ehhe. Got the wheels painted and mocked up in this one. Those tires sure fit tight ... the tops may just get sanded where you can't see in the end.

wheelsDSC_1424_zpsa9a39e48.jpg

wheelsDSC_1425_zps841123d0.jpg

wheelsDSC_1426_zpsab56a140.jpg