#21 ZIL 111V

ZIL 111V

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts
  • Full Name:P.GILL

Posted 28 August 2012 - 03:08 PM

42 years ago this simple kit (& not so accurate gasser...D/MS..WHAT'S THAT???) was mostly made for kids to have FUN as already mention...still with it's innacuracies a very good looking kit when completed for such a simple model kit.

TD's best boxart ever :wub:

#22 plowboy

plowboy

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,713 posts
  • Full Name:Roger Hayes

Posted 28 August 2012 - 03:36 PM

Thanks for letting me know, Casey. I think I will in fact pass on it.

There's no reason a person with your skills and imagination couldn't build this kit into a cool looking gasser Virgil. All it needs it a few parts swapped and some primer and paint. In fact, I have an incomplete kit that I got in a trade from Casey. Give me about a week or so and I'll prove it to you.

#23 Dr. Cranky

Dr. Cranky

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,422 posts
  • Full Name:Virgil "Doctor Cranky" Suarez

Posted 28 August 2012 - 03:40 PM

Of course, one has to assume that this kit about to come out will be the same as before without any alterations. One could only wish they would have fixed some of these issues, but highly unlikely, right?

#24 Dr. Cranky

Dr. Cranky

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,422 posts
  • Full Name:Virgil "Doctor Cranky" Suarez

Posted 28 August 2012 - 03:42 PM

There's no reason a person with your skills and imagination couldn't build this kit into a cool looking gasser Virgil. All it needs it a few parts swapped and some primer and paint. In fact, I have an incomplete kit that I got in a trade from Casey. Give me about a week or so and I'll prove it to you.

Thanks, Roger. I'm in the process of building a gasser from all sorts of parts and although it is quite a bit of fun, I am not used to this kind of intense rounding up of parts. Geez, so far I have used like six kits and counting for this thing. LOL.

#25 plowboy

plowboy

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,713 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 03:43 PM

Right Virgil. I'm betting that it will be a straight reissue just like the "Street Fighter' '60 Chevy sedan delivery. I'm definitely going to buy this kit when it comes out. Maybe two.

#26 plowboy

plowboy

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,713 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 03:47 PM

Thanks, Roger. I'm in the process of building a gasser from all sorts of parts and although it is quite a bit of fun, I am not used to this kind of intense rounding up of parts. Geez, so far I have used like six kits and counting for this thing. LOL.

I'll have to check to see what is and isn't in mine. But, I'll build it with minimal parts swapping and probably no added details. Now, to go dig it out and get started on it!

#27 Casey

Casey

MCM Ohana

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,301 posts
  • Full Name:Casey Littmann

Posted 28 August 2012 - 04:17 PM

Except for the wheels, tires, and decals, the Badman kit is essentially the same kit as the Monogram Revell 1/24 '55 Chevy Street Machine kit which (I think) was just discontinued, but is still easily found for under $10.00:

"Revell" '55 Chevy Street Machine instructions:

http://public.fotki....l-55-chevy-str/

Monogram Badman instructions:

http://public.fotki....adman-55-chevy/

You can see the remnants of the original issue's molded in exhaust system when viewing the underside of the chassis/floorpans, as well as how the suspension is set up:

Posted Image

#28 Ben

Ben

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,975 posts
  • Full Name:Ben Wicker

Posted 28 August 2012 - 04:34 PM

I wonder if the reissue is still going to have the two different rear wheels? There was a 200s on one side and I think it was a Cragar five spoke on the other side. I rember this because back in the eighties, this was the only kit that had a 200S wheelin it. My buddy had those wheels on his real 67 Vette and wanted a model built of it. We had to buy four kits to get the wheels.

#29 Jantrix

Jantrix

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,431 posts
  • Full Name:Rob Mattis

Posted 29 August 2012 - 02:12 AM

I am not used to this kind of intense rounding up of parts.

That sounds like every one of my builds. Enjoy.

#30 Junkman

Junkman

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,321 posts
  • Full Name:Christian Pamp

Posted 29 August 2012 - 02:37 AM

It's a Tom Daniel kit, thus I want it.

When I was a kid, I couldn't afford Tom Daniel kits, when I had grown up, I couldn't afford them less than ever, then came the reissues and I was grateful for each and every one. For some odd reason, the Badman is among the few that have so far eluded me.
I'm very happy to have the chance to finally add it to my collection, and with decent box art of the man himself.

I met Tom a few years ago and he is one of the nicest persons I know.

#31 gtx6970

gtx6970

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts
  • Full Name:Bill Allphin

Posted 29 August 2012 - 03:08 AM

These are the open one i have. This is a re-issue from a few years ago.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#32 gtx6970

gtx6970

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts
  • Full Name:Bill Allphin

Posted 29 August 2012 - 03:15 AM

And the decal sheet
Posted Image

#33 High octane

High octane

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,017 posts
  • Full Name:Nick

Posted 29 August 2012 - 04:02 AM

The new one is molded in yellow also as stated on the box. I haven't opened mine as yet that I picked up the other day but It should be an exact re-issue of the previous kit.

#34 plowboy

plowboy

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,713 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 05:17 AM

I was looking at what I have of mine last night and noticed that the copyright date is 1963! This thing is almost fifty years old! I don't know exactly what year the "Badman" came out,but I remember building it in the early to mid '70s. I really hope Revell has done some work to the body mold. The door lines are pretty faint and non existant at the front top of the door above the chrome strip. I want at least one to build right out of the box although I will probably put in a proper big block engine. Someone mentioned that it was a 396 small block,but when this kit came out, no one had an idea of how to stroke a small block out to 396 cubic inches. So,that isn't the case. It's just the wrong engine for the drag version.

#35 Ben

Ben

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,975 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 07:25 AM

Here's a couple pics showing the chrome from an original Badman kit. It's one of the kits that I robbed the 200S wheel from. Here you can see that the remaining rear wheel is a regular Crager type five spoke rather than a 200S . I always wondered why Monogram did that???

Posted Image

Posted Image

#36 Ben

Ben

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,975 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 07:27 AM

Looking at the picture of the reissue, the chrome tree has been completely rearranged! I wonder why they did that?????

#37 Casey

Casey

MCM Ohana

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,301 posts
  • Full Name:Casey Littmann

Posted 29 August 2012 - 08:59 AM

Looking at the picture of the reissue, the chrome tree has been completely rearranged! I wonder why they did that?????

I bet it has something to due with the '55 Chevy Street Machine version.

#38 TooOld

TooOld

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,428 posts
  • Full Name:Bob Spedding

Posted 29 August 2012 - 09:24 AM

It is the Street Machine version . I just sold an unbuilt kit that had been taking up space for years !
Both versions are typical Monogram from the 70's . . . low parts count , few details , and way oversized even for 1/24th scale !

Edited by TooOld, 29 August 2012 - 09:29 AM.

#39 cobraman

cobraman

Crazy 'bout Cobras!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,438 posts
  • Full Name:Ray Kurn

Posted 29 August 2012 - 03:39 PM

Maybe, I say maybe. When they come out ( not yet, right ? ) we should all get one and build them up and see what we all come up with ?????

#40 Hippie Dude

Hippie Dude

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 204 posts
  • Full Name:Tye Brown

Posted 31 August 2012 - 03:00 AM

It's a TD kit man, so it's just cool B) B)