Model Cars Magazine Forum

Freddy Fryar's All-Pro Firebird

roadhawg

One of my favorite racing series was Bob Harmon's All-Pro super series that ran from 1979-1991 on asphalt short tracks in the South....actually, Nascar took it over in '92 and ran it as the Slim Jim All Pro Series, but it lost that Saturday Night short track feel and wasn't as much fun....too "corporate", I guess.

One of the most popular drivers in the original series was veteran racer Freddy Fryar. Fryar drove several cars in the series, but this one, from the 84-85 seasons, was my favorite.

2-21.jpg

Built from the Revell ASA Camaro, I tried to rework the headlight area and the grill to make it resemble a Firebird. Being primarily a "shelf model", I didn't add any wiring or plumbing, but focused more on getting the right look. Paint is a 50/50 mix of Testors Chevy Orange and Italian Red. Seat belts and window net are from Detail Master.

I've got a few more cars planned from this series, including Mickey Gibbs' black Camaro, 1984 series champ Darrell Brown, and the infamous "carbon fiber" Gary Balough car. Havin' fun with these! Thanks for looking.

IMG_2375.jpg

IMG_2383.jpg

IMG_2381.jpg

IMG_2380.jpg

IMG_2379.jpg

(By the way...I wasn't really sure where to put this....it's not exactly Nascar, but it WAS associated with Nascar and a lot of the Nascar drivers ran here, so if this is in the wrong place, somebody move it. Thanks.)

Thanks, guys! Mark, the decals I design in Corel draw and have a friend print them on an Alps printer. I've had to make some of those contingency decals too, since I couldn't find any....like Larry Shaw Race Cars.

Darrell Brown's #58 car was white, so I might be able to print those on a inkjet....we'll see.

Thanks guys!

Nascar All Pro was the 3rd tear of Nascar till the trucks took over that spot in 1998 so up untill then if you build a Nascar All Pro or All American Challange car it would still be a nascar sanction.

Correct, but Nascar didn't aquire the All-Pro series until 1992. Before that, it ran as an independent organization with Alabama's Bob Harmon running the show, sort of the south's answer to the ASA series. "Uncle Bob" was one of the best promoters in history. Great cars, great drivers, great racing. Nascar slowly ruined it after taking it over.

Scott, that is the Revell Senneker ASA kit. The Senneker and the Waltrip kits have wide five wheels and hubs (although I use my own) and a V-8, while the Butch Miller kit has the Nascar style wheels and a V-6. The Butch Miller kit also has a different Z-28 style hood.

Davey's #23 would make a cool model. Davey also drove Neil Bonnett's #12 house car a time or two.

Always inspiring to see your work Tommy and the little history lessons you give with them. I actually think they should just name this section circle track instead of NASCAR and it would better suit the subjects. Im curious about this carbon fibre car you speak of so I shall google :D

• 2 months later...

Thanks, guys! Mark, the decals I design in Corel draw and have a friend print them on an Alps printer. I've had to make some of those contingency decals too, since I couldn't find any....like Larry Shaw Race Cars.

Darrell Brown's #58 car was white, so I might be able to print those on a inkjet....we'll see.

That is a great build, I worked on Brown's cars in the late 90's and early 2000's, the southern allstar years, before he "retired". Did you build the kit or where did you find the kit, and I would love to see the decals of Brown's you have. I would love to see the #58 back to what it was. Thank you for the reminder of the good old days. RIP Darrell. may the memories live on

That is a great build, I worked on Brown's cars in the late 90's and early 2000's, the southern allstar years, before he "retired". Did you build the kit or where did you find the kit, and I would love to see the decals of Brown's you have. I would love to see the #58 back to what it was. Thank you for the reminder of the good old days. RIP Darrell. may the memories live on

Thank you, Ken. I just make a few minor changes to the Revell ASA Camaro kits to turn them into All Pro cars. I'm actually starting on Darrell's car this week. I sent you a screenshot of the decals in a PM.