Model Cars Magazine Forum

parts never in kit?

Hello all,

I need your help.

I have an AMT 49 Ford that I am building box stock.

I am using the Flathead V8.

On the instructions there are no exhaust manifolds, nor any sort of crossover pipe. They are not on the sprue anywhere either (I opened the plastic bags myself).

The instructions show a single exhaust as well so there has to be some sort of crossover.

The Cadillac engine (which I am not using) has the exhaust manifolds molded as part of the heads and it has dual exhaust.

I am attaching a scan of the instructions showing the assembly of the Flathead.

What do I do here? I am stuck. Help!!!!

post-10388-0-01076300-1346875459_thumb.j

Edited by Brian_B

Thank you, Please let me know what you come up with.

Looking closely at the engine...there are half rounds where I thought the exhaust manifolds should be. Maybe that is what they are representing the manifolds with? If so, there still should be some sort of crossover. I will keep digging for pics online.

I don't want to run dual exhaust...(even though its in the kid for the cady engine).

I just found this in MrObsessive's fotki account from his 49 mercury build. That kit is revelle..and mine is AMT. II bet the half rounds are supposed to represent the exhaust manifolds. :(

Any suggestions on how to fake a crossover? Sprue is too thick to use with this kit.

PA183409-vi.jpg

Edited by Brian_B

Just heat it up a little, most people use a candle. Since you don't need a very tight bend it won't take much heat, just enough to keep it from splitting. Practice on some sprue to kind of get the feel for where the melt point it so you don't waste the thin exhaust pipe. Evergreen is great to have but for such a small job you should be able to get by without it here.