#1 rustymodeler

rustymodeler

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  • Full Name:Jerred Crooker

Posted 05 September 2012 - 12:34 PM

Hey guys, I have been wanting to do some kind of diorama for along time now and wasnt sure what I wanted to do, so I decided to build a garage. I have never done anything like this before and was not sure where to start so I researched framing garages and found alot od good stuff. It would be completely difficult to frame it just like the professionals do, but I think it turned out pretty good. I am going to try to put balso wood on the sides and find something to use as siding. If anyone has any ideas I could use for the siding please help me out here. Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#2 crazyjim

crazyjim

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,286 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 12:43 PM

Looks pretty realistic. I'll be watching your progress because want/need to build a diorama.

#3 charlie8575

charlie8575

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,538 posts
  • Full Name:Charlie

Posted 05 September 2012 - 07:10 PM

Evergreen makes some styrene clapboard that looks pretty good. You might want to try that.

I believe Northeastern and Kappler Scale Lumber also offer individual bass or balsa clapboards.

Grandt Line and Northeastern have windows that will work, or you can scratch them.

Charlie Larkin

#4 rustymodeler

rustymodeler

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 12:22 AM

Thanks for the kind words Jim, and thank you Charlie for the information much appreciated.

#5 GTMust

GTMust

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,014 posts
  • Full Name:Tony Durham

Posted 06 September 2012 - 03:05 AM

Looking good Jerred. Don't forget to add a 3' x 7' door somewhere. Also increase the size of the header over the garage door (scale double 2" x 8") and add the studs above it.

Great start!

Tony

#6 Johnny K

Johnny K

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • Full Name:Johnny Knight

Posted 06 September 2012 - 11:47 AM

Very nice start - looking forward to seeing what you decide on for the siding.

#7 rustymodeler

rustymodeler

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 04:32 PM

Ok, heres what I have done so far. I got some sheets of balsa wood to act as plywood and glued to the side. And than I got some smaller strip1/16 x 1/4 balsa wood and I am going to glue to the plywood and stack to look like siding. That will be a project I will have to tackle tomorrow.I am not happy with the door, but it will probably change once I get everything else taken care of.Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#8 Johnny K

Johnny K

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 06:47 PM

, , . And than I got some smaller strip1/16 x 1/4 balsa wood and I am going to glue to the plywood and stack to look like siding , , ,

That works pretty well - makes for scale 1 1/2" thick by 6" siding. Balsa sheets look like they make for good sheathing.

#9 rustymodeler

rustymodeler

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 07:38 PM

Ok I have been puting alot of time into this and this is what I have came up with. I use 1/16 x 1/4 strips of balsa wood for the siding. I really glues up nicely and turned out alot better than I thought it would. I also started on the roof and am pretty happy with it so far too. If I would have known this was going to be this fun I would have started doing it along time ago.Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#10 vaughn

vaughn

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts
  • Full Name:terry vaughn white

Posted 09 September 2012 - 12:19 AM

Looks good Jerred.

#11 crazyjim

crazyjim

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,286 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 02:27 AM

One strip of wood at a time? What a pain. Looks good.

#12 rustymodeler

rustymodeler

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 04:46 AM

Thanks guys. I really thought putting one strip at a time would be a pain also, but its not really that bad. I am using Gorilla wood glue which sets up really fast so it makes for pretty fast results. If anyone has any ideas how to make a roll up garage door please let me know. I know it sounds difficult, but there has to be a way.

#13 rustymodeler

rustymodeler

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 10:26 AM

Posted Image

#14 crazyjim

crazyjim

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,286 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 10:33 AM

Looking really good - the garage and the truck.

#15 Brian_B

Brian_B

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts
  • Full Name:Brian Bowers

Posted 09 September 2012 - 10:53 AM

.................... If anyone has any ideas how to make a roll up garage door please let me know. I know it sounds difficult, but there has to be a way.

The roll top desks have some sort of heavy material backing and strips of wood fastened to it. I have not seen one apart to know how they wind up...but maybe you could adapt that idea to yours?

#16 GTMust

GTMust

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 11:44 AM

Roll top desks use a couple of thin canvas strips glued to the back of the wood strips ans slide up in a groove cut into the side panels of the desk. These type of doors aren't really suitable for model garage doors but the basic principle might work at a pinch?

I suggest you check out http://www.modeljunkyard.com and subscribe to their blog. Their latest posts include an article on how to make realistic panelled overhead garage doors. It's a great blog and it's free!

Tony

Edited by GTMust, 09 September 2012 - 11:46 AM.

#17 Brian_B

Brian_B

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts
  • Full Name:Brian Bowers

Posted 09 September 2012 - 12:00 PM

Wow,,,amazing videos....they make the whole door, hinges, tracks. Takes talent and patience.

Edited by Brian_B, 09 September 2012 - 12:01 PM.

#18 Johnny K

Johnny K

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 12:37 PM

I've been considering a building similar, in that I was planning the same type siding application, so I was quite anxious to see how yours turned out. Looks good, but I'm wondering about the width-size slats (6" scale). They lend themselves quite well to either a vintage building that used the more narrow slats or a contemporary garage - would look fantastic whether weathered or painted. Still, did you at any point wonder if you should have gone a bit wider?

Really nice job.

#19 rustymodeler

rustymodeler

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 05:50 PM

Thanks guys for all the information on garage door and helpful hints. I ran into a little problem though. I am starting to run out od balsa stripping and I bought Hobby Lobby out of that size I need. I may have to make an hour trip to the other nearest Hobby Lobby.

#20 GTMust

GTMust

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 05:02 AM

You could buy the 1/16 x 4" x 36" sheets and cut the strips yourself. That's what I did for my Thomasville hardware store and the rural gas stop and it works out a lot cheaper than buying the strips (Check out my threads on this board. Mine were 1/32 scale so I used 1/32" sheets instead.)

Hope this helps.

Tony