So What does Revell Have up Their Sleeves?

• You cannot reply to this topic
280 replies to this topic

#21 zenrat

zenrat

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 839 posts
  • Full Name:Fred Maillardet

Posted 12 September 2012 - 05:41 PM

So slagging off Cleveland is on topic?

#22 Junkman

Junkman

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,226 posts
  • Full Name:Christian Pamp

Posted 13 September 2012 - 01:36 AM

Why didn't they make a '74 Delta 88?

Good question.

#23 SteveG

SteveG

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 621 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 03:53 PM

Straight from Revell's facebook page:

Revell USA
It’s true – this year Revell USA will not be attending the iHobby Expo. Instead, we have big plans to make some very exciting announcements about our 2013 releases. Stay tuned - we'll be sharing more information about how you can catch the world premiere of ALL NEW tooling, new licenses and more this October.

My guess is we'll get the announcements at the Toledo NNL. I think that's the weekend before iHobby. Revell attended last year and rumor has it they'll be back again. What better place is there considering the current situation ?

As for why they're not at iHobby it's tough to say. I don't see any of the other Hobbico brands listed either. My guess is there's a dispute between Hobbico and the Expo promoters. I'm sure they're not very happy about the Expo being moved away from their own corporate backyard.

I've been to the Cleveland I-X Center dozens of times and I think it's a great location. It's not actually in Cleveland but in Berea, a nearby westside suburb. I'm hoping to attend iHobby one way or another.

-Steve

Edited by SteveG, 13 September 2012 - 03:55 PM.

#24 Casey

Casey

MCM Ohana

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,901 posts
  • Full Name:Casey Littmann

Posted 13 September 2012 - 04:06 PM

I'm hoping to attend iHobby one way or another.

Good to hear you'll be attending...and taking lots of pics? ^_^ :D

My guess is we'll get the announcements at the Toledo NNL. I think that's the weekend before iHobby. Revell attended last year and rumor has it they'll be back again. What better place is there considering the current situation ?

That'd be one heck of a "one-up" move...but not a bad idea. B)

#25 Dave Van

Dave Van

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 04:18 PM

Simple economics. These trade shows are more and more costly every year. The move to Ohio was in part an attempt to lower some cost....but still a very costly venture. I went on trade days way back when it was RCHTA late 80's. The show has, to some extent, lost it's importance. Before the net, FaceSpace and all the instant communication we have today getting info out there is a lot easier and, for the most part, FREE!!! I don't go any longer and while I do miss seeing indeustry folks once a year, the show has lost some of the 'need' to attend. I saw most all of the industry insiders at NJ NNL show!!!

#26 mikemodeler

mikemodeler

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,942 posts
  • Full Name:Classified

Posted 14 September 2012 - 12:17 AM

I am sure that these trade shows have lost a lot of meaning as Dave pointed out because of ability to post it on the web and reach a wide audience, not to mention the costs involved.

#27 Dave Van

Dave Van

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 04:25 AM

If you went during the peak of the shows......you can see how it would be easy to spend $100,000 or more for the show. Just not worth it any longer.
An example.....not a slam on unions.....but you are not allowed to move displays, chairs or run any electric lines to display cases without a paid union member from that trade.....that alone is a big cost. Bring in a display car like RM did with Roth one year and cost go through the roof......four days of staffing etc......just too costly for the size of todays market. Not a negative...just a change...the only constant. All is well!!!

#28 sjordan2

sjordan2

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,636 posts
  • Full Name:Skip Jordan

Posted 14 September 2012 - 07:41 AM

If you went during the peak of the shows......you can see how it would be easy to spend $100,000 or more for the show. Just not worth it any longer.
An example.....not a slam on unions.....but you are not allowed to move displays, chairs or run any electric lines to display cases without a paid union member from that trade.....that alone is a big cost. Bring in a display car like RM did with Roth one year and cost go through the roof......four days of staffing etc......just too costly for the size of todays market. Not a negative...just a change...the only constant. All is well!!!

Exactly right. Most convention spaces have similar kinds of rules, and it doesn't matter what your industry might be, whether you're Microsoft or a regional association. You have to follow the hall's rules, in most cases pay for union labor, build your booth within very defined specifications (which can vary from space to space, requiring modifications to expensive display booths), etc. Where the value comes into play for some companies is providing a networking platform for manufacturers, distributors, retailers, and sometimes end customers depending on the products, to get together and close sales (probably a very limited group in modeling), and maybe get some press coverage. And it's true, today's electronic marketing options, in addition to global recession, have caused substantial decreases in trade show participation and investment.

Edited by sjordan2, 14 September 2012 - 07:47 AM.

#29 Tom Kren

Tom Kren

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,748 posts
  • Full Name:Tom Kren

Posted 15 September 2012 - 01:51 AM

Hear it was cheeaper to have it here also will be going and taking pics its my first time CANT WAIT!!! also bummed that revell wont be there but will see them in toledo

Edited by Tom Kren, 15 September 2012 - 01:52 AM.

#30 Casey

Casey

MCM Ohana

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,901 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 01:44 PM

And the cat is out of the bag, via Revell's facebook page

Revell USA

7 hours ago

The countdown is ON! Be sure to check our Facebook page at 9 a.m. CST on October 11 to see the launch of our 2013 new products!

#31 MachinistMark

MachinistMark

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,185 posts
  • Full Name:Mark fulmore

Posted 19 September 2012 - 01:56 PM

i hope they learn from their successes with the 49 merc AND 48 ford coupe kits and release some more traditional customs.. 53-54 chevy or 53-54 caddy would be cool. or a zephyr.

or god willing they dig their heads out of their rectums and tool up a 57 chevy Convertible..

#32 Dan Helferich

Dan Helferich

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 06:21 AM

A closed cab '32 Ford pickup would be nice! Some more '50's BOP or other '50's non Ford/Chevies would be nice. I haven't been to Cleveland since the '50's but if it turned out Tom Kren, one of my favorite builders, it must have something going for it.

#33 Dave Van

Dave Van

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 03:34 AM

Model King is set to reissue the 53-54 Chevy kit.....the old tool but still a cool kit.

#34 paul alflen

paul alflen

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 220 posts
  • Full Name:paul alflen

Posted 21 September 2012 - 04:02 AM

MAYBEE THEY WILL MAKE THEIR ANNOUNCEMENTS VIA THE WEB WITH A WEBINAR! COST HAS TO BE A LOT CHEAPER AND THEY CAN TARGET THEIR AUDIENCE A LOT MORE!!!!!!!!!!

#35 Casey

Casey

MCM Ohana

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,901 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 04:12 AM

Hmmm, I see the Toledo NNL is October 6th, a few days before Revell's planned announcement date. This could be interesting.

#36 tubbs

tubbs

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,276 posts
  • Full Name:Al Matheny

Posted 21 September 2012 - 09:21 AM

Hmmm, I see the Toledo NNL is October 6th, a few days before Revell's planned announcement date. This could be interesting.

im curious to see what they have to offer. been a long time since there has been a shakup in the model world.

and dont knock Cleveland..... we have the Cavs.... the tribe............. the Browns............................. hmmmmmmmmm.............

im curious to see what they have to offer. been a long time since there has been a shakup in the model world.

#37 Modelbuilder Mark

Modelbuilder Mark

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,140 posts
  • Full Name:Mark Hubbard

Posted 21 September 2012 - 10:49 AM

Just curious, someone earlier ni the thread pointed out the expense of these types of shows when compated to their current "market size" I have heard different numbers tossed about as to what a new release was expected to sell, like the Mobius Hudons around 5000 kits. That seems VERY low, but how do I know.

But, are those number correct? What were the sales numbers like of a succesful kit in say 1968?

So if Revell is facing the same concerns, easy to see the expesnse is not worth it.

#38 Rob Hall

Rob Hall

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,012 posts
  • Full Name:Robert Hall

Posted 21 September 2012 - 11:13 AM

Just curious, someone earlier ni the thread pointed out the expense of these types of shows when compared to their current "market size" I have heard different numbers tossed about as to what a new release was expected to sell, like the Mobius Hudsons around 5000 kits. That seems VERY low, but how do I know.

That seems high...considering the obscure subject matter..can't imagine that subject selling very many..

#39 slantasaurus

slantasaurus

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 787 posts
  • Full Name:Ron Wagonrod

Posted 21 September 2012 - 02:27 PM

That seems high...considering the obscure subject matter..can't imagine that subject selling very many..

Mobieus has sold at least 5000 Nascar versions alone, not counting the stock and convertible kits. How do I know ?? There was a "limited run" of 2000 Tim Flock cars, 2000 Marshall Teauge cars, and now another run of 1000 Tim Flock kits. Factor in the stock and convertible kits and I'd bet they have run at least 20000 kits by now and they ain't done yet.

#40 Bad Brad #2

Bad Brad #2

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • Full Name:Jim James

Posted 21 September 2012 - 02:29 PM

"What does Revell have up their sleeves ?"

Probably their arms.........I'll be here all week.