So What does Revell Have up Their Sleeves?

• You cannot reply to this topic
280 replies to this topic

#41 SteveG

SteveG

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 05:15 AM

Just curious, someone earlier ni the thread pointed out the expense of these types of shows when compated to their current "market size" I have heard different numbers tossed about as to what a new release was expected to sell, like the Mobius Hudons around 5000 kits. That seems VERY low, but how do I know.

But, are those number correct? What were the sales numbers like of a succesful kit in say 1968?

So if Revell is facing the same concerns, easy to see the expesnse is not worth it.

Tom Daniels claims that that 1/24th Red Baron kit sold 2 Million copies within the first few years of it's release of 1968.
It's been reported that the MPC Monkeemobile sold 7 Million copies since it's original release and that the Dukes of Hazzard Charger sold even more. I recall hearing that a typical AMT annual kit would sell over 100,000 copies back then.

By comparison, Lindberg produced a total of 9600 Charger Police Car kits which is considered a good sales figure today.

-Steve

#42 martinfan5

martinfan5

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,437 posts
  • Full Name:Jonathan Stephens

Posted 22 September 2012 - 08:47 AM

By comparison, Lindberg produced a total of 9600 Charger Police Car kits which is considered a good sales figure today.

-Steve

Would/did Lindberg make the investment back on just 9600 kits?

#43 Luc Janssens

Luc Janssens

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 736 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 10:27 AM

Would/did Lindberg make the investment back on just 9600 kits?

They "only" had to add the "Police specific", parts to an already existing kit...which probably were already on the drawing board, when they were designing the diecast versions of the Police Charger, so I assume a bit cheaper, then an all new tool.
But Steve Goldman, will know for sure....

Edited by Luc Janssens, 22 September 2012 - 10:30 AM.

#44 martinfan5

martinfan5

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,437 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 11:46 AM

They "only" had to add the "Police specific", parts to an already existing kit...which probably were already on the drawing board, when they were designing the diecast versions of the Police Charger, so I assume a bit cheaper, then an all new tool.

Ahh yes thats a good point, so really then the cost was low, just tooling for the police parts

#45 Rob Hall

Rob Hall

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,227 posts
  • Full Name:Robert Hall

Posted 22 September 2012 - 01:01 PM

I wonder when or if we will see anything new from Lindberg...that police version of the Charger seems like it took 5 years or so since their Charger kit first came out..

#46 martinfan5

martinfan5

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,437 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 05:46 PM

Does Linberg still have a heartbeat?, when was the last time we heard something from them?, I dont remember

#47 Casey

Casey

MCM Ohana

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,367 posts
  • Full Name:Casey Littmann

Posted 22 September 2012 - 05:51 PM

I wonder when or if we will see anything new from Lindberg...that police version of the Charger seems like it took 5 years or so since their Charger kit first came out..

In all fairness, I think it was only two years ago when the Charger police car hit store shelves, but it was a long wait.

As for Lindberg, I haven't seen any signs of life out of them since iHobby 2011. :(

#48 SteveG

SteveG

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 04:50 AM

Maybe they made the money back, or maybe not ...... Lindberg had to make something like 60 all new parts and remake about a dozen more that were changed for SRT 8 version. If you guys want the full story on the Lindberg Police Charger we should probably start a new thread unless there is an old one we can dig up.

I didn't mean to hijack this from the Revell question but the Police Charger was the only one I could remember the sales figures on. The only Revell kit I had any involvement with was of the M-K Limited releases and those are typically 3000 - 5000 kits. I have no idea on current Revell sales figures.

Steve

#49 brodie_83

brodie_83

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts
  • Full Name:Brodie Nyrud

Posted 23 September 2012 - 05:23 AM

I for one am awaiting more BIG scale builds (1:12 and maybe 1:8). Gotta love the big boys!

#50 charlie8575

charlie8575

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,650 posts
  • Full Name:Charlie

Posted 23 September 2012 - 06:01 AM

Mobieus has sold at least 5000 Nascar versions alone, not counting the stock and convertible kits. How do I know ?? There was a "limited run" of 2000 Tim Flock cars, 2000 Marshall Teauge cars, and now another run of 1000 Tim Flock kits. Factor in the stock and convertible kits and I'd bet they have run at least 20000 kits by now and they ain't done yet.

Especially considering I'll be buying at least two more coupes and a convertible. I'm using the coupe I have now to build Jeff's gorgeous 4-door (I have an early production kit with very bad seaming on the body that I can't sand out.,) plus a coupe and another of Jeff's conversion- a Hollywood.

I do hope though, as Mark said, that a '57 Chevy convertible is forthcoming. Their model is very nice and that's one car that is LONG overdue for such an icon.

Charlie Larkin

#51 sjordan2

sjordan2

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,892 posts
  • Full Name:Skip Jordan

Posted 23 September 2012 - 06:05 AM

I for one am awaiting more BIG scale builds (1:12 and maybe 1:8). Gotta love the big boys!

I wouldn't hold my breath. According to the podcast interview with Ed Sexton that was recently posted to this forum, he said he didn't see much opportunity in producing larger scale kits.

#52 brodie_83

brodie_83

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts
  • Full Name:Brodie Nyrud

Posted 23 September 2012 - 06:34 AM

that sucks.

#53 Luc Janssens

Luc Janssens

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 736 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 09:39 AM

I wouldn't hold my breath. According to the podcast interview with Ed Sexton that was recently posted to this forum, he said he didn't see much opportunity in producing larger scale kits.

Too bad, I wouldn't mind seeing a 1/12 '69 Charger.

#54 sjordan2

sjordan2

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,892 posts
  • Full Name:Skip Jordan

Posted 23 September 2012 - 10:25 AM

I just wonder what Revell's experience is with the sales of the 1/12 GT 500.

Edited by sjordan2, 23 September 2012 - 10:25 AM.

#55 2000-cvpi

2000-cvpi

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 584 posts
  • Full Name:Corey Sarenius

Posted 23 September 2012 - 05:07 PM

I just wonder what Revell's experience is with the sales of the 1/12 GT 500.

This is by no means a accurate representation of the sales of that kit, but the one at my local Hobby Lobby has dust on it from sitting there so long.

#56 niteowl7710

niteowl7710

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,709 posts
  • Full Name:Doing the grunt work so the U.S. Postal Service can deliver your mail.

Posted 23 September 2012 - 07:45 PM

This is by no means a accurate representation of the sales of that kit, but the one at my local Hobby Lobby has dust on it from sitting there so long.

Well in a way that's Hobby Lobby's problem not Revell's. As far as Revell goes they sold the kit. Now they may be hearing from various distributors that they themselves aren't selling them, and don't they dare make another large scale dust collector, they will not pre-order it.

#57 moparmagiclives

moparmagiclives

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,410 posts
  • Full Name:Shane Moore

Posted 24 September 2012 - 03:27 AM

I don't think the problem was so much the "large scale" part of it, but that they picked the new mustang as the subject. I for one don't care for it, and there really isn't a lot that can be done to it unless its a total scratch build ( not worth the money to by the kit ) I think it's a pretty narrow demographic of buyers who want a showroom mustang taking up their shelf.
Just my two cents, could be way off...

#58 niteowl7710

niteowl7710

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,709 posts
  • Full Name:Doing the grunt work so the U.S. Postal Service can deliver your mail.

Posted 24 September 2012 - 07:08 AM

Perhaps...if they were going to do the 1:12 thing, perhaps they should have considered a series to include the new Camaro and Challenger. Having a one off big scale kit doesn't appeal to me, but if there were were one of each, I might bow to the pressure to build the series.

#59 Modelbuilder Mark

Modelbuilder Mark

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,263 posts
  • Full Name:Mark Hubbard

Posted 24 September 2012 - 08:20 AM

Maybe they made the money back, or maybe not ...... Lindberg had to make something like 60 all new parts and remake about a dozen more that were changed for SRT 8 version. If you guys want the full story on the Lindberg Police Charger we should probably start a new thread unless there is an old one we can dig up.

I didn't mean to hijack this from the Revell question but the Police Charger was the only one I could remember the sales figures on. The only Revell kit I had any involvement with was of the M-K Limited releases and those are typically 3000 - 5000 kits. I have no idea on current Revell sales figures.

Steve

Wow! Those production comparisons are shocking. It is a wonder that model companies bother to manufacter a new kit at all.
There is no wonder then that they may opt not to do a trade show if indeed espenses are not worth it.

Honestly, that is shocking how low those numbers are.

#60 Danno

Danno

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,198 posts
  • Full Name:Nameless Natural Luminary

Posted 24 September 2012 - 10:25 AM

Wow! Those production comparisons are shocking. It is a wonder that model companies bother to manufacter a new kit at all.
There is no wonder then that they may opt not to do a trade show if indeed espenses are not worth it.

Honestly, that is shocking how low those numbers are.

True dat.

B)