#21 martinfan5

martinfan5

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,400 posts
  • Full Name:Jonathan Stephens

Posted 14 November 2012 - 09:00 PM

There is eight places in the metro Phoenix area that sell Plastikote products according their website, thats not a lot

#22 crazyjim

crazyjim

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,876 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 03:35 AM

The high prices and long distance to drive to Car Quest has me slowly wandering over to Duplicolor primers.

#23 hooterville75

hooterville75

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts
  • Full Name:Deron Shank

Posted 15 November 2012 - 01:44 PM

Tractor Supply stores did sell the Gray but now they sold their soul to the garbage from Rustolem. I get gray and white at a local AutoQuest store in Mechanicsburg, PA. It's worth looking for, nothing sands better.

Good to know AQ stocks it. Thanks for letting us know that. Just wanted to introduce myself and say Thanks for the info. I'm about twenty five mins North of Harrisburg towards Lewistown. Nice to see someone else from my area on here too.

#24 rickd13

rickd13

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  • Full Name:Rick Dattalo

Posted 15 November 2012 - 02:16 PM

I like Duplicolor better. You can find Duplicolor at AutoZone and Advanced Auto Parts.

#25 hooknladderno1

hooknladderno1

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 399 posts
  • Full Name:David Gusky

Posted 16 November 2012 - 08:35 AM

Hey Guys,
With all of this discussion on Plastikote primer, can someone provide a photo, product number, or other info on which specific primer in their line everyone is talking about? I have seen at least 15 different primers listed on the CarQuest website. I have sworn by Tamiya white and Duplicolor primers for years, but am always open to an alternative. Thanks

#26 Casey

Casey

MCM Ohana

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,309 posts
  • Full Name:Casey Littmann

Posted 16 November 2012 - 08:51 AM

[attachment=25587:pk.jpeg]

#27 Nick Winter

Nick Winter

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,926 posts
  • Full Name:Nicholas J. Winter

Posted 17 November 2012 - 04:35 PM

Mostly T-18 for me, I like the way it goes on.

Nick

#28 lanesteele240

lanesteele240

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 943 posts
  • Full Name:Gary Steen

Posted 18 November 2012 - 05:28 AM

Posted Image
alclad II primer ends your search. if you have an air brush that is. it replaced my tamiya and 17 cans of other rattle can primers. no decanting. no mess. precision spray from your gun. wont cover details while filling small scratches. a 4 oz bottle goes a long way i have done 5 models on 2/3 of a bottle.

#29 charlie8575

charlie8575

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,644 posts
  • Full Name:Charlie

Posted 18 November 2012 - 09:20 AM

I've generally found Plasti-Kote at CarQuest stores. VIP Discount Auto Parts also carries it locally to New England. Pep Boys used to carry it. Occasionally, I do see Plasti-Kote sandable lacquer primer at either Michael's or A.C. Moore (I can't remember which right now,) which is essentially their automotive primer, but a shade thinner and at about half the price.

Interesting tip about the Al-Clad primer. I might try a bottle of that.

Charlie Larkin

#30 Monty

Monty

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,612 posts
  • Full Name:Monty

Posted 19 November 2012 - 06:49 AM

alclad II primer ends your search. if you have an air brush that is. it replaced my tamiya and 17 cans of other rattle can primers. no decanting. no mess. precision spray from your gun. wont cover details while filling small scratches. a 4 oz bottle goes a long way i have done 5 models on 2/3 of a bottle.

Gary, I see that this is a lacquer. Can you verify whether it will protect plastic from the crazing caused by automotive-type lacquer paints? I ask because Tamiya's primer is some kind of modified lacquer, but to the best of my knowledge, does not prevent lacquer crazing.

#31 lanesteele240

lanesteele240

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 943 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 02:55 PM

i wont be able to test this because i don't use auto paints. the wife just wont put up with the smell

#32 charlie8575

charlie8575

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,644 posts
  • Full Name:Charlie

Posted 19 November 2012 - 06:26 PM

Gary, I see that this is a lacquer. Can you verify whether it will protect plastic from the crazing caused by automotive-type lacquer paints? I ask because Tamiya's primer is some kind of modified lacquer, but to the best of my knowledge, does not prevent lacquer crazing.

Monty, Plasti-Kote is plastic-safe. I've used it for years and haven't had any crazing issues except once and that was my fault (slightly heavy coat.)

i wont be able to test this because i don't use auto paints. the wife just wont put up with the smell

If you can paint outside, that helps solve that problem. Lacquers also work better in cooler temperatures. Just be sure to warm the can a little under running warm water before going outside so that it doesn't get too cold too quickly.

If painting outdoors isn't an option for you, point a large box-fan outside from your cellar, garage or what have you with the door open. It vents out fairly quickly.

You could also get a new wife. :lol:

Charlie

#33 lanesteele240

lanesteele240

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 943 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 05:52 PM

Charlie i could never trade in my wife
1. the cost would be to high and i could not afford models any more
2. she never says anything when i buy kits even though i have more than could put together.
3. she is way hotter than me. i could not score one as sweet

i dont use auto paint because of the smell. i dont like it. i do use the alclad over dupa because of the easy of use. both are good. one is easier to use and find

Edited by lanesteele240, 21 November 2012 - 05:56 PM.

#34 trackbound

trackbound

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Full Name:Mike Hults

Posted 14 March 2013 - 03:24 PM

Looking to buy Plastikote sandable primer.  I always found it to work best a couple years back before I took a break.  I have checked Walmart, Advanced Auto, and the local parts store.  I know I use to get it at one of those places...but none seem to carry it now.  Does anyone know of a major chain based store that carries it?

#35 Erik Smith

Erik Smith

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
  • Full Name:Erik Smith

Posted 14 March 2013 - 03:37 PM

HERE

Type in zip and go shopping :)

Edit:  That used to work - currently I just keep getting an error when I input my zip...?

Edited by Erik Smith, 14 March 2013 - 03:39 PM.

#36 kalbert

kalbert

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts
  • Full Name:Kevin Kurth

Posted 14 March 2013 - 03:52 PM

Yea I'm kinda wondering too. Been trying some other brands of primer but they're either too hot, too thick, way to thick, putty, or not sandable with any sandpaper I know of. PlasiKote Sandable Primer was the best stuff, but I don't seem to be able to find it locally anymore either!

#37 Mooneyzs

Mooneyzs

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,917 posts
  • Full Name:-Chris

Posted 14 March 2013 - 04:08 PM

I get my Plastikote Spot and Fill primer from from Carquest here in Arizona. They seem to be the only ones that carry it here. It's my choice of primer for my builds and have been using it for years.

#38 trackbound

trackbound

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Full Name:Mike Hults

Posted 14 March 2013 - 11:44 PM

I was getting the error too.

#39 Ace-Garageguy

Ace-Garageguy

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,598 posts
  • Full Name:Bill Engwer

Posted 15 March 2013 - 03:23 AM

I get my Plastikote Spot and Fill primer from from Carquest here in Arizona. They seem to be the only ones that carry it here. It's my choice of primer for my builds and have been using it for years.

Yup, Carquest in the Atlanta area has it too...saw it yesterday.

#40 Bobdude

Bobdude

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 344 posts
  • Full Name:Bob Dudek

Posted 15 March 2013 - 04:40 AM

In Bristol,CT  I found it in NAPA store on Rt.6