Model Cars Magazine Forum

Stephanie's Rose- Halibrand-equipped '41 Willys - Completed 5-4-2014!

Art Laski

I'm limping in on this WIP with not much started yet, but trying to get ideas flowing. This is going to be a build of the Revell '41 Willys Street Rod, inspired by my little sister whose name is Stephanie Rose. She mentioned to me a while ago as she was admiring some of my other builds that she likes Willys hot rods, so I thought I would build one inspired by her, which will end up in her possession once I'm done showing it around.

Since she is the granddaughter of Ted Halibrand, I plan to accentuate the Halibrand wheels and also add a Halibrand quick change rear end and, of course, add some subtle logos to the body.

GettingStarted001-vi.jpg

I'm thinking of going with a candy pink with some pearl ghost flames for the body paint. I picked up a flame mask from ebay all the way from Australia that I am eager to try out. Here's the mask:

GettingStarted003-vi.jpg

GettingStarted002-vi.jpg?1347488106

Here is the center section I plan to use. It's a resin copy I made from the Monogram Pie Wagon. It's one of the best quick changes I've seen around.

GettingStarted004lg-vi.jpg?1347488111

GettingStarted006lg-vi.jpg?1347488136

GettingStarted005lg-vi.jpg?1347488109

I am also thinking about replacing the blower with an injection set up, as I think it will look cool to have some injector tubes sticking through the hood. I'm still trying to form my vision on this project, so if anyone has any suggestions, I'm open to hearing them.

Thanks for looking!

Edited by Art Laski

Thanks for the encouragement, guys. I hope to have something new up soon.

John, thanks for making this build possible. Too bad you had your Willys done before I even got the box open! It would have been fun to do them at the same time.

Tom, the masks were about $13 shipped. If you search for "willys flame mask" on ebay, they pop right up.

• 3 weeks later...

I've been doing the parts cleanup on this kit for a while, so there hasn't been much to share until now.

I got the injector manifold and tubes I ordered from Speed City Resin. Really excellent parts, in my opinion.

WillysQC002-vi.jpg

The only problem is, the injector doesn't fit this particular engine very well, so I'll probably be scratchbashing a new one using the injector pieces from this unit and a scratch-built manifold.

I got the axle tubes in the rear end and primered, but the casting of the rear end had a few bubbles where the bolt heads were, so I used these great little bolts I got from my good friend, John Teresi, to fix it up.

WillysQC012-vi.jpg

WillysQC013-vi.jpg

WillysQC011-vi.jpg

WillysQC014lg-vi.jpg

Edited by Art Laski

There is a problem. The axle tube is thicker than the original rear end, so even after opening up the kit brackets, the shocks don't fit. I decide to make new brackets.

4link002-vi.jpg

I made the decision to not only redo the axle brackets, but make a whole new suspension, and also make it functional.

I made some rod ends from plastic rod and guitar string, some radius rods from aluminum tube, and jam nuts from hex rod.

4link003-vi.jpg

4link005-vi.jpg

Then i made some new brackets by cutting them from plastic sheet and laminating them together.

4link006-vi.jpg

4link009-vi.jpg

4link010-vi.jpg

More to come soon. Thanks for looking!

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the support, Doctor!

I've been able to get a little more done on the rear end. It really had me wondering what I had gotten myself into! I felt like I created the hardest kit I've ever built. B ut the cool thing is, it actually works.

Anyway, here are some shots of the shocks and the mock up of the rear end. I found the springs at Home Depot in an assortment pack and they turned being the perfect size, just had to trim it down some.

IMG_0210-vi.jpg

IMG_0211-vi.jpg

IMG_0209-vi.jpg

IMG_0346-vi.jpg

IMG_0348-vi.jpg

IMG_0351-vi.jpg

As I mentioned earlier, the injector manifold I purchased just didn't fit. So I decided to scratch-bash a new one. I made the manifold itself from scratch, then used the injectors from the resin piece. I think it's going to work.

The piece on the left is the one I made, the middle is the blower manifold that came with the kit, and the right one is the resin injector.

IMG_0356-vi.jpg

I added some ribs and a distributor location.

IMG_0358-vi.jpg

IMG_0357-vi.jpg

Cut the injectors off the resin part.

IMG_0359-vi.jpg

And the final part.

IMG_0359-vi.jpg

IMG_0361-vi.jpg

IMG_0362-vi.jpg

Thanks for looking!