#1 Vande

Vande

MCM Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Full Name:Lonnie VanDevander

Posted 13 September 2012 - 04:20 PM

Okay before anyone thinks I am nuts, the name is actually based on what my wife calls her Astro, nothing more!

I started working on this kit a little while back, and just picked it back up recently after finding this site, and getting inspiration. Here is where it sits so far:

Front end smoothed and slammed to the ground:
Posted Image

Side shot sitting at the planned height:
Posted Image

My first major mod after reading this site: (cut out the step bumper and smoothed it)
Posted Image

I just like this shot, it was my first attempt at a photo of the model with my cell phone:
Posted Image

Lots more in store, I have started to mold in an impala lowrider suspension under the body, then I can work on getting the interior straightened out. I have several parts and pieces from scale dreams for the interior, from batteries to hydros to speakers and amps.

I am thinking I will keep the flat black once everything is smoothed, it makes the rims and chrome pop. I still need to add the side skirts and smooth them down, I like the look of the stock molding.

#2 FernTx

FernTx

MCM Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts
  • Full Name:Fernando Ruiz

Posted 13 September 2012 - 05:55 PM

haha i love it, can't wait to see what you do with it.

#3 crazyjim

crazyjim

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,420 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 02:05 AM

Cool build.

#4 Vande

Vande

MCM Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 02:45 AM

Thanks guys!

I have a lot of plans for this one, I still have to finish smoothing the body, and molding in the rear end, and smoothing the roof lines before I do much else. I want to build something that is just over the top with a vehicle people usually wouldn't customize. I will try and take some new pics this weekend of the rear end, the photos don't do it justice, the multicolor setup is hard to see what it looks like.

I have been reading a lot of build threads, and I am looking to put a lot of work into the interior, and I am looking to have a fully wired sound system, and detail out the suspension. Will have more soon!

#5 Vande

Vande

MCM Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 04:11 AM

Got the rear end almost 100% done finally, between sanding and filling and sanding and filling I have something like 10 hours just on the rear end...Will get some pics here in a little bit.

I do have a question, maybe I am not searching right, but is there any builds or anything on how to do custom interior components like speaker boxes? I want to try and do a crazy stereo along with the batteries and such for the hydros (old school style). I have seen a few builds before with the waterfall style boxes, but they were always finished, nothing on how they were built.

I forgot to mention, if I can find it, the interior paint will be a real old school color, plum crazy.

#6 Vande

Vande

MCM Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 06:52 AM

Alright, now that photobucket is done being rude, here are a couple pics of the slow progress!

Here is the body with the offending piece that was removed:
Posted Image

And a shot to show what I am working towards, a nice smooth rear end!
Posted Image

#7 crazyjim

crazyjim

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,420 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 10:54 AM

Yeah Lonnie - nothing like nice smooth rear end.

#8 cobraman

cobraman

Crazy 'bout Cobras!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,583 posts
  • Full Name:Ray Kurn

Posted 15 September 2012 - 12:17 PM

You betcha !

#9 tooltas

tooltas

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,199 posts
  • Full Name:todd staples

Posted 20 September 2012 - 03:50 PM

that cool you just dont see this kit built but slam to ground. i would give it a full rag sun roof so we can see the tvs and big kicker subwoofers in back of it.

#10 Vande

Vande

MCM Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 05:30 PM

I love the idea of the ragtop, anyone know if there are any builds with anyone adding a ragtop? Not sure how to pull that off...

Thanks!
Vande