Albie D

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 683 posts
  • Full Name:Albie DeFusco

Posted 12 November 2012 - 07:10 PM

Thanks guys!
Yeah Brodie, its the Lindberg kit. Everything fits together well and its a solid kit to say the least. The kit gives nothing in the way of custom options, but thats not too big of a deal.

First off Nate, the spray on chrome is made by Alclad, not Alcad. (Geez, I guess my Boston accent is dropping the Ls now..think I would know how to say what Im selling...) Anyhow, Alclad makes a full line of spray on metal and chrome type simulators. They air brush over a black lacquer base and, in my limited exsperience, give pretty convincing results. The scallops were made using 1/32" fine line (Kustom Paint Shop I believe) tape. After the primer was block sanded down, I misted Testors Diamond Dust over the whole body. Then it was simple as laying down the tape and spraying the Inca Gold. I went with several light coats to minimize build up around the tape. I waited till the gold was almost dry before I pulled the tape. Finally, I carefully sanded the tape lines with 6000 to 12000 before laying down the clear.

Edited by Albie D, 13 November 2012 - 04:16 AM.

#22 H.A.K

H.A.K

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts
  • Full Name:Samuel Denehy

Posted 13 November 2012 - 06:22 AM

OH YEAH.....Now thats what Im talking about. Love the color combo. But those smoothly's dont fit right with them tires. Need a tire where the rim lip sets flush with the tire.

But thats just what I think.

#23 Albie D

Albie D

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 10:51 AM

OH YEAH.....Now thats what Im talking about. Love the color combo. But those smoothly's dont fit right with them tires. Need a tire where the rim lip sets flush with the tire.

But thats just what I think.

I was thinking the same thing. But clearance is too tight to push a tire outward to sit flush with the lip. Id have to shorten the rear axle and lose the abilty to pose the front tires. I do think they work well with the late kustom/ pre-historic, post-bomb lowrider vibe Im going for. Think of them as 5.20 Premium Sportways (if they made a wide white) stretched on a reversed chrome wheel.
Thanks for the feedback, thats what I like about this site!

#24 H.A.K

H.A.K

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 05:46 AM

Have an idea for you. How bout cut and sand the lip off. Then the rim will slide right into the tire and set flush ???? what you think.

#25 Dogfish_7

Dogfish_7

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts
  • Full Name:Bruce Osborne

Posted 14 November 2012 - 06:28 AM

Great engine detail work!

#26 cobraman

cobraman

Crazy 'bout Cobras!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,435 posts
  • Full Name:Ray Kurn

Posted 14 November 2012 - 06:55 AM

Looking great !

#27 Albie D

Albie D

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 11:00 AM

Thanks guys.

name='H.A.K' timestamp='1352908009' post='816328']
Have an idea for you. How bout cut and sand the lip off. Then the rim will slide right into the tire and set flush ???? what you think.[/s]

Thats a good idea, but one that I dont think I could pull off without it looking hacked. I was thinking of using a Dremel sanding drum and carefully sanding away at the fontside "bead" of the tire untill the rim lip sits more flush...I dunno. Honestly, Im pretty happy with it as is, it's got a cool stretched look and sits right, plus I'm rounding the final straight of this build and adding one more thing to the "to do" list is not on my agenda. On the flip side though, you got me thinkin'...

#28 H.A.K

H.A.K

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 04:07 PM

Hmm it's all good. It's your car. And I like it anyways so can't wait to see updated pics.

#29 JasonFL

JasonFL

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • Full Name:Jason Brackney

Posted 15 November 2012 - 12:56 PM

Wow albie, beautiful colors. What a nice combo. Looks great laid out on them rims, can't wait to see it all together. Don't let it sit any longer on that bench, keep it going. Btw, that looks like a really cool book you have it sitting on.

#30 Albie D

Albie D

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 01:18 PM

Wow albie, beautiful colors. What a nice combo. Looks great laid out on them rims, can't wait to see it all together. Don't let it sit any longer on that bench, keep it going. Btw, that looks like a really cool book you have it sitting on.

Jason, whats up dude?! Im getting some stuff done, but my work is crazy busy right now. I own a bakery and the holidays are full bore for me, Im shooting to have it done the weekend after Thanksgiving, dead tired or bust! The Billy Gibbons book is recommended. Great cars and his awesome guitars.
The question is though...whats up with the Merc?!? Any progress? We want to see man..

#31 JasonFL

JasonFL

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • Full Name:Jason Brackney

Posted 16 November 2012 - 10:07 AM

Jason, whats up dude?! Im getting some stuff done, but my work is crazy busy right now. I own a bakery and the holidays are full bore for me, Im shooting to have it done the weekend after Thanksgiving, dead tired or bust! The Billy Gibbons book is recommended. Great cars and his awesome guitars.
The question is though...whats up with the Merc?!? Any progress? We want to see man..

Alright, I guess that's a good enough reason, I'll let it slide. Owning a bakery must be amazing, all that good food. I'd be so over weight if I owned/worked in one. Next time I'm in a bookstore, which isn't to often, I'll have to remember to check that book out. I've been growin my beard for about 7 months now, little does my wife know but the goal is to get it as long as zz tops...lol. She'll probably end up cutting that sh*t off one night.
Ahhh the Merc. Well it's going, slowly but surely. I have yet to finish a model since I started building again (last time I finished one I was a kid) so I'm having a little trouble figuring out the correct steps to everything. I'm a little bit of a perfectionist so I'm just taking my time. I have to post some updates, keep an eye out. Thanks for askin

#32 Dr. Cranky

Dr. Cranky

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,422 posts
  • Full Name:Virgil "Doctor Cranky" Suarez

Posted 16 November 2012 - 10:53 AM

That paint looks fantastic.