#21 Rob Hall

Rob Hall

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,125 posts
  • Full Name:Robert Hall

Posted 15 October 2012 - 01:29 PM

Are those headlight washers I see ? Or ?

Looks like it...that pic appears to be in Europe, so maybe it was a Euro-spec model.

#22 Dave Van

Dave Van

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,025 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 05:49 PM

R2 more than likely found the 75 inserts for the grille and nose piece. I don't see a 71 or 72 as the body would have to be re-tooled along with grille/nose etc. I love having them back in a normal box.

#23 Rob Hall

Rob Hall

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,125 posts
  • Full Name:Robert Hall

Posted 15 October 2012 - 05:55 PM

R2 more than likely found the 75 inserts for the grille and nose piece. I don't see a 71 or 72 as the body would have to be re-tooled along with grille/nose etc. I love having them back in a normal box.

I thought '74 was the first year Gremlin that AMT did, but a search on eBay turned up a '72 funny car..didn't know about that one. Bandit Resins makes a '71 or '72 in resin, the build up of it in a recent SA looked pretty good.

#24 doggie427

doggie427

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 323 posts
  • Location:currently 10th dimension;considering a move to the 13th
  • Full Name:wayne sauchuk

Posted 15 October 2012 - 09:12 PM

Unfortunately most of them look like this now

Attached Files

#25 Dave Van

Dave Van

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,025 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 03:37 AM

I thought '74 was the first year Gremlin that AMT did, but a search on eBay turned up a '72 funny car..didn't know about that one.

I have the F/C Gremlin kit. The front grille and bumper is a separate casting that was not on the chrome tree.....so if it was still in the kit it would be nice for R2 to throw it in. It would work well on a Pro Stock build! Posted Image

#26 Junkman

Junkman

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,294 posts
  • Full Name:Christian Pamp

Posted 26 October 2012 - 11:05 AM

Are those headlight washers I see ? Or ?

The pic is from Scandinavia. Headlight wipers are mandatory there on any car built after 1974. If they aren't available from the manufacturer, they have to be improvised using parts from another make. And no, they were not available on Gremlins from the factory.

Here are a few more examples of cars that had been made legal for use in Sweden:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

You get the picture (pun intended).

Edited by Junkman, 26 October 2012 - 11:08 AM.

#27 Dave Van

Dave Van

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,025 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 03:20 PM

Thanks for the info Casey......wonder if it really will have a roof rack or someone used a Fresh Cherrys die cast for a stand in......

#28 gray07

gray07

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,603 posts
  • Full Name:Shelly and Darrin Holts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 06:50 AM

Gremlins are cool cars, i had a 76 levi gremlin, straight 6 with a stick, i drove that car for along time, i love those cars.

Edited by gray07, 07 November 2012 - 06:51 AM.

#29 GeeBee

GeeBee

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,385 posts
  • Full Name:Geoff Brown

Posted 07 November 2012 - 07:34 AM

I hope we get these this side of the pond, as I like to build models that are just a little bit different

#30 GeeBee

GeeBee

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,385 posts
  • Full Name:Geoff Brown

Posted 07 November 2012 - 09:16 AM

Posted Image

I passed my driving test in one of those, same colour as well, Orange Red ....

#31 Casey

Casey

MCM Ohana

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,972 posts
  • Full Name:Casey Littmann

Posted 23 November 2012 - 07:21 PM

75grem.jpg

75grem2.jpg

75grem3.jpg

#32 Hippie Dude

Hippie Dude

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 195 posts
  • Full Name:Tye Brown

Posted 23 November 2012 - 10:10 PM

Is this the kit I need to build the AMC drag car man? The Wally Booth car man or will the '76 kit do?? I'm confused, but that's not hard to do man lol

Peace

#33 Don Sikora II

Don Sikora II

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 10:49 AM

I bought the '75 Gremlin at Model Empire earlier this week.

#34 Mark

Mark

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 499 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 02:38 PM

I have the F/C Gremlin kit. The front grille and bumper is a separate casting that was not on the chrome tree.....so if it was still in the kit it would be nice for R2 to throw it in. It would work well on a Pro Stock build! Posted Image

The early Gremlin funny car (first released in '71) had two grille/bumper units. One is on the plated tree and is 100% stock (even has engraved headlamp detail). The unplated one has no engraved detail, it's supposed to make the body more closely resemble a one-piece fiberglass unit. I'm not sure which early Gremlin I want; Wally Booth's '72, or H.L. Shahan's '71 match race car (Gremlin wheelbase was too short to run legal Pro Stock prior to '72).

#35 Casey

Casey

MCM Ohana

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,972 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 09:39 PM

Hmmm, I wonder if Round2 is adding the other hockey stick Gremlin X decals to this kit?

Guess so:

T2eC16NE9s2fp0MBREbsS75Q60_3.jpg

#36 spkgibson

spkgibson

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 853 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 12:09 AM

Looks like another cool kit to buy.....The 74 and the 75's are basically the same cars.....So I'll probably buy 2 of them and another '76 ...Thanks for sharing the kit with us.

#37 Casey

Casey

MCM Ohana

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,972 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 06:35 AM

I picked up one of these the other day, and these appear to be the parts which differ from the earlier '76 release:

75grem1.jpg

Round2 did included a 2"x6" Gremlin mini bumper sticker, the mini box, and the different decal sheet shown earlier in this topic, but yeah, it's 98% the same as the '76 version.

#38 Robberbaron

Robberbaron

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts
  • Full Name:Robert J. Barron

Posted 08 October 2014 - 08:54 PM

My LHS finally got one of these little buggers in, so I picked one up (got a '76 last year). Did a quick comparo between my kits, and both my '75 and '76 have the 2-barrel and 4-barrel intakes, in addition to the tunnel ram. So the only differences in hard parts that I'm seeing between mine are the header panel and grille.

Aside from the obvious box differences, the decal sheets, and the 1:1 style bumper sticker, the only other differences I'm seeing are in the actual plastic they used for each issue. My '76 was molded in conventional white styrene, while this '75 is molded in kind of a cream-colored off-white. I want to call it pre-aged, since it reminds me of the way a vintage built-up kit starts to yellow over time. Not sure if that's Round 2's intention for using that shade of styrene, but I kind of dig it for some reason. It seems like a lot of their kits that I've been buying recently have been molded in this off-white shade.

While the tinted windows in the '76 kit were a dark smoke color (think '80s MPC), the tinted windows in the '75 are kind of a pale, bluish-lavender tint (really pretty weird, actually - maybe call it periwinkle?). Since both kits come with conventional clear windows too, the tinted ones are more of a novelty to me.

A couple things I haven't seen mentioned yet: the side marker lights that should be on the '75 header panel are non-existent, so you will have to cut these in if you want your build to be accurate. Everyone who built the '76 seemed to comment about how the header panel was too wide for the body. It seems like the '75 header panel is the same width as the '76, so I'm expecting the same problem on this one.

I also don't think I've seen anyone mention the fact that the vents that should be in the C-pillar (behind the quarter window) are missing. I didn't notice that at first when I bought the '76, but both bodies are the same, and the C-pillars are totally smooth. Kind of a disappointment, since it would be tough to carve in 4 perfectly parallel grooves behind each quarter window to correct this. Using the stripe decals in each kit would mostly disguise this problem, but it would have been nice if this detail was there.

Not sure if the original issues had this or not, or if it's something they decided to skip when they restored the tool back to stock. Right now the body shell is kind of generic - I wonder if they plan to tool up additional bumpers/grilles to do earlier model years? Might just plan on including decals to disguise the C-pillars for each release ('70 thru '73 had horizontal vents, '74+ had the diagonal vents that followed the angle of the quarter windows)

#39 unclescott58

unclescott58

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,103 posts
  • Full Name:R. Scott Aho

Posted 08 October 2014 - 11:52 PM

I have the original 1975 Gremlin. And from I can see, repop is exactly the same as original.

Scott