#21 moparfarmer

moparfarmer

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 368 posts
  • Full Name:Wayne Farmer

Posted 19 September 2012 - 01:38 PM

Would you like your wages to be what they were when you were a kid and paind 10-15 cents a bottle? Sure everything was less but times change and so do economies.
You will NEVER see that again.

#22 kitbash1

kitbash1

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 387 posts
  • Full Name:Douglas Graves

Posted 19 September 2012 - 02:25 PM

I can remember Pactra enamels priced at 11 cents per bottle back in 1965.

#23 Dr. Cranky

Dr. Cranky

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,414 posts
  • Full Name:Virgil "Doctor Cranky" Suarez

Posted 20 September 2012 - 02:31 AM

I think if you are going to go through the trouble of scratch building or kit bashing or simply pouring all these hours into a model, the least you can do is use the proper paint, and yes, it is going to be a bit expensive.

The military modelers spend a fortune on each model because they use photo etch and real metal tracks, etc . . . and there is no way to skimp on the paint of a model.

#24 gtx6970

gtx6970

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,879 posts
  • Full Name:Bill Allphin

Posted 20 September 2012 - 04:17 AM

Ok... so using your numbers, the cost of the paint in the bottle is only about 30¢ (20% of $1.49).

That works out to "only" $1.20 an ounce, or $38.40 a quart, or $150 a gallon.

Have you priced a gallon of paint lately?
$150 will not buy anything worth a chit.

Ps, I don't remember what I paid for paint WAY back then. I do good to remember what I had for dinner last night.

I think back when I got into models,(mid -late 60's time frame ) kits were under $1 , no more than $2

Edited by gtx6970, 20 September 2012 - 04:21 AM.

#25 Joe Handley

Joe Handley

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,796 posts
  • Full Name:Billy Joe

Posted 20 September 2012 - 04:23 AM

Actually Harry,

It's NOT the paint that is expensive--the glass bottle is probably a good 80% or more of that price. In addition, don't forget the weight of glass bottles--a carton of a dozen Testors square bottles is a pretty high density item (speaking as one who over a period of nearlyh 30 years handled thousands of bottles of Testors paints.)

Art

You are right on the weight of those, not as bad as a case of dominos (those are a good bit more portly!) , but surprisingly hefty..........especially whe you recieve a 1 1/2 foot square box of paints in bottles and cans, I want to say a decent restock of our paints can weigh upwards of 40+ pounds and not even completely fill that box up!

#26 Dave Van

Dave Van

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 949 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 04:28 AM

How about the paint 'locker' .....8 jars for $1 ......

#27 Joe Handley

Joe Handley

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,796 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 06:54 AM

How about the paint 'locker' .....8 jars for $1 ......

I want to say that's now closer to $20.

#28 Ramfins59

Ramfins59

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,717 posts
  • Full Name:Richard Manson

Posted 20 September 2012 - 08:05 AM

Yeah I remember when those little bottles of paint were 10 cents at a Woolworth's 5 & 10 cent store back in the Bronx, NY when I was growing up. .... and model kits were $1.49....... when the AMT "Double kits" were a mere $2.00.

#29 Agent G

Agent G

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,633 posts
  • Full Name:Wayne Gray

Posted 20 September 2012 - 08:38 AM

I think if you are going to go through the trouble of scratch building or kit bashing or simply pouring all these hours into a model, the least you can do is use the proper paint, and yes, it is going to be a bit expensive.

The military modelers spend a fortune on each model because they use photo etch and real metal tracks, etc . . . and there is no way to skimp on the paint of a model.

Oh Virgil how right you are. I once made the mistake of attempting to tabulate the cost of a simple tank build. Yeah I gave up, no sense depressing myself.

G

#30 mikethepoormodeler

mikethepoormodeler

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 08:43 AM

I remember a case back in the 70's when there was a limit to how much prices could rise. Seems like Testor's,or maybe one of the other companies,raised their prices too much, and a young modeler filed a lawsuit and won. The company had to lower the prices back down. I want to say it was during the Carter administration, but I could be wrong. Anybody else remeber this, or have I been sniffing too much paint?

#31 Joe Handley

Joe Handley

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,796 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 09:00 AM

Would you like your wages to be what they were when you were a kid and paind 10-15 cents a bottle? Sure everything was less but times change and so do economies.
You will NEVER see that again.

I'd love to see my wages go up in relation to the difference in gas prices between when I started with models and now ;)

#32 southpier

southpier

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,636 posts
  • Full Name:joe smythe

Posted 20 September 2012 - 12:45 PM

AMT Styline kits for $1.49 - Trophy kits for $1.19 - Double kits for $2.00 - Revell Parts Packs for 49 - 69 cents - Testor's jar paints for 10 cents - and if you had birthday or Christmas money - Pactra spray paint for 69 cents. annual subscription to Rod & Custom was $3.00. Auto World was the mecca for all things detail including Ulrich mini-men @ 2 for 69 cents, chenille upholstery kits, too, and the ubiquitous "Auto-Cutter" for a whopping $4.95.

#33 slusher

slusher

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,660 posts
  • Full Name:carl slusher

Posted 21 September 2012 - 03:05 AM

I know it costs money to make new kits and Revell has put new kits lately and a Revell kit costs 25 bucks before the coupon at hobby lobby. The revell super wagon by AMTis 25 bucks and the double kit is 21 bucks for the same tooling as many bought as kids for 2.50 ...

#34 ZTony8

ZTony8

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 483 posts
  • Full Name:Tony Buglione

Posted 21 September 2012 - 03:11 AM

That lawsuit happened during the Nixon administration.The kid wrote the President and it made national news,forcing Testors to rescind the price increase.

#35 ZTony8

ZTony8

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 483 posts
  • Full Name:Tony Buglione

Posted 21 September 2012 - 03:13 AM

How can the "Revell super wagon" be made by AMT?

#36 mikethepoormodeler

mikethepoormodeler

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 06:18 AM

Thanks for the information, ZTony8. Time gets away from us old folks sometimes. Thanks again.

#37 Guest_G Holding_*

Guest_G Holding_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 September 2012 - 04:26 PM

And with the cost of rivets today.....

#38 eizzle

eizzle

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts
  • Full Name:Colin Frost

Posted 21 September 2012 - 04:26 PM

I remember when dad would buy it for me to keep me entertained and out of his hair for awhile, probably seemed like a value to him, but I never paid attention to the prices, well, until I went to the hobby store and about fell over when they told me how much 6 bottles of paint were!

#39 MAGNUM4342

MAGNUM4342

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,285 posts
  • Full Name:Kevin White

Posted 21 September 2012 - 04:43 PM

How can the "Revell super wagon" be made by AMT?

He meant CHEVELLE Superwagon. ;)