#1 Harry P.

Harry P.

MCM Ohana

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,663 posts
  • Full Name:A mere layman...

Posted 20 September 2012 - 02:59 AM

Please note that there is now a separate section for in progress stuff and finished models for both the Big Rig and Pickups, Vans & SUV section.... so post accordingly.

I moved some of the old posts to their new home, but there are too many to go through them all and move them. So let's just go from now on and post in progress stuff and finished stuff in the correct spot.

#2 Ace-Garageguy

Ace-Garageguy

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,537 posts
  • Full Name:Bill Engwer

Posted 20 September 2012 - 03:09 AM

Yeah! Whoopee! Hoo haa!

#3 clayton

clayton

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts
  • Full Name:Clayton S

Posted 20 September 2012 - 03:48 AM

Cool!!! nice idea.

#4 crazyjim

crazyjim

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,843 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 04:13 AM

I guess that's a good thing. Officially, where would a completed El Camino or Ranchero be posted correctly?

#5 Harry P.

Harry P.

MCM Ohana

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,663 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 04:26 AM

I guess that's a good thing. Officially, where would a completed El Camino or Ranchero be posted correctly?

Ah, yes... the eternal question! :lol:

Rancheros and El Caminos are cars. They are cars with "pickup" sheetmetal, but under the skin they are pure car. But I know some people insist they are trucks, so whether they are posted in cars or in pickups, I don't have a problem either way.

#6 crazyjim

crazyjim

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,843 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 04:28 AM

OK. Thanks Harry.

#7 Rob Hall

Rob Hall

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,185 posts
  • Full Name:Robert Hall

Posted 20 September 2012 - 03:38 PM

Kinda like s10s and rangers. They are just cars with a bed.

Nope..those are trucks. Nothing car about them. El Caminos, Rancheros, etc are cars.

#8 lapazleo

lapazleo

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 612 posts
  • Full Name:Leo Bishop

Posted 20 September 2012 - 03:59 PM

Actually they're both based on station wagons with the back opened up. Station wagons sometimes have been considered panel trucks but they were also the great gran daddy to the mini van which also could fall under panel truck. In Australia there are Ranchero/el camino type vehicles called sport utes. So they could be car,light truck,sport ute,panel truck or light commercial so maybe they need there own section ha ha.

#9 chuckyr

chuckyr

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,328 posts
  • Full Name:C. Mitchell

Posted 22 September 2012 - 09:52 AM

I moved some of the old posts to their new home, but there are too many to go through them all and move them.

Ah, yea...

And we can't move them either, so the idea is incomplete.

#10 TooOld

TooOld

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,403 posts
  • Full Name:Bob Spedding

Posted 22 September 2012 - 12:58 PM

Ah, yes... the eternal question! :lol:

Rancheros and El Caminos are cars. They are cars with "pickup" sheetmetal, but under the skin they are pure car. But I know some people insist they are trucks, so whether they are posted in cars or in pickups, I don't have a problem either way.

You are correct Harry ! They are based on car frames and suspensions and were never desighed to haul a 1/2 ton load like a pickup truck .
Unfortunately one of the moderators doesn't agree and keeps moving them !

#11 Casey

Casey

MCM Ohana

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,217 posts
  • Full Name:Casey Littmann

Posted 22 September 2012 - 01:16 PM

You are correct Harry ! They are based on car frames and suspensions and were never desighed to haul a 1/2 ton load like a pickup truck .
Unfortunately one of the moderators doesn't agree and keeps moving them !

If GM refers to thier own El Caminos as trucks, who am I to say they are wrong?

Posted Image

If it has a bed, either separate or integral with the body, I consider it a truck, but as long as people are willing to share what they've built with others, that's what really matters-- not where each of us thinks it should be posted.

#12 Harry P.

Harry P.

MCM Ohana

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,663 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 01:23 PM

I know I can be a pain in the you-know-what about posting stuff in the right place... but Rancheros and El Caminos can go in either the car or pickup section as far as I'm concerned. I'm not going to move them.

Technically they are cars, they're based on car platforms, they are the same as their passenger car brothers under the skin... but some people see them as trucks, and that's ok by me.

Just don't ask about what the best type of paint is, and post it in "Under Glass!" (yes, it's happened)... :rolleyes:

#13 mistermodel

mistermodel

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 557 posts
  • Full Name:KEVIN YORKE

Posted 22 September 2012 - 01:47 PM

If GM refers to thier own El Caminos as trucks, who am I to say they are wrong?

Posted Image

If it has a bed, either separate or integral with the body, I consider it a truck, but as long as people are willing to share what they've built with others, that's what really matters-- not where each of us thinks it should be posted.

they also call this a truck
http://www.gm.ca/gm/...otos-exterior01
I dont think the general knows a truck from a hole in the ground

I know I can be a pain in the you-know-what about posting stuff in the right place... but Rancheros and El Caminos can go in either the car or pickup section as far as I'm concerned. I'm not going to move them.

Technically they are cars, they're based on car platforms, they are the same as their passenger car brothers under the skin... but some people see them as trucks, and that's ok by me.

Just don't ask about what the best type of paint is, and post it in "Under Glass!" (yes, it's happened)... :rolleyes:

Harry you caved to peer pressure LOL

#14 signguy2108

signguy2108

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 406 posts
  • Full Name:Larry Haney

Posted 22 September 2012 - 02:24 PM

If it has a bed to put stuff in, it's a truuuuck! Period! End of story! OOPS, I meant to say at least down south it is! Just a cute little truck...

Edited by signguy2108, 22 September 2012 - 02:28 PM.

#15 lapazleo

lapazleo

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 612 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 05:48 PM

Either way both Ford and GM are based on their station wagon models. You can turn a station wagon into one with a plazma cutter and grinder. A station wagon could be considered a light truck technically. Yes they are based on station wagons which are based on passenger cars but when all the dust clears they are light trucks somewhere under a half ton like s10s,rangers and any other compact pick up.

#16 lapazleo

lapazleo

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 612 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 05:52 PM

Ah, yea...

And we can't move them either, so the idea is incomplete.

I agree the horse done left the barn along time ago. No point i closing the door now. Everybody was used to things the way they were. By the way were is everybody at any way? This forum has been awful quiet the last 4 or 5 weeks.