Duntov

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,232 posts
  • Full Name:Bill Lucianno

"Mi sono perso"

Posted 22 November 2012 - 10:46 AM

This is a neat kit (despite problems) I still like it.... thanks for sharing...

#22 epi4561

epi4561

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • Full Name:Garry Robinson

Posted 05 December 2012 - 07:59 PM

I swear, this hobby is trying its best to tell me it doesn't want me around... But I'm too stubborn to listen.    My bonnie project has been put on hold.  As I've said before, I wanted to get this done for my dad in time for Christmas.. Well last weekend, out of the blue, one of the PE parts I ordered decided it had better things to do than to be put on this model, so it took a hike...  It wouldn't have been such a big deal except that I had already modified the plastic part from the model to fit the piece. and it just happens to be one of the main dash trim pieces.  So it is on hold for the time being until I get around to ordering another set of PE from modelcargarage.

If you can't find it, PM me and I'll make sure I've got my chrome tree from this kit. It actually builds up really nice, and goes together easy. Good call on the MCG photo-etch. The biggest drawback to the Trumpeter kits I've found is the badging sucks. I've got to get a new set of PE for mine. I somehow managed to drop both of the P's from the front.

I remember you saying you needed some letters from this PE kit..  Check your messages...

thanks-epi

#23 Deathgoblin

Deathgoblin

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 897 posts
  • Full Name:Brian Wilson

Posted 06 December 2012 - 05:28 AM

I swear, this hobby is trying its best to tell me it doesn't want me around... But I'm too stubborn to listen.    My bonnie project has been put on hold.  As I've said before, I wanted to get this done for my dad in time for Christmas.. Well last weekend, out of the blue, one of the PE parts I ordered decided it had better things to do than to be put on this model, so it took a hike...  It wouldn't have been such a big deal except that I had already modified the plastic part from the model to fit the piece. and it just happens to be one of the main dash trim pieces.  So it is on hold for the time being until I get around to ordering another set of PE from modelcargarage.

I remember you saying you needed some letters from this PE kit..  Check your messages...

thanks-epi

I had the same issue with the PE set.  Somehow managed to drop both of the "P"'s for the nose, so I just stopped.  Right now my Bonneville just has "ONT" on the nose because I was afraid to drop anything else.

#24 epi4561

epi4561

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 06:01 AM

After quite some time away from this project, I managed to get a little work done on the seats.  As you can see by the pics, I still need to do some clean up, but for my first "custom" work I'm happy with the progress so far.

20130911_102826_zps191a792a.jpg

20130911_102743_zps1f0e821a.jpg

20130911_102939_zpsd3dd897b.jpg

20130911_103136_zps1a29215a.jpg

Sorry for the huge pics, I can't seem to figure out how to make a small image click to the full size image while staying on the forum,(rather than going  to photobucket)

Anyway, I hope you enjoy the pics.

#25 epi4561

epi4561

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 06:02 AM

I'm not totally satisfied with the result so far, so I think I'm going to sdd some piping around the different patterns. I already have the tiny holes drilled. Hopefully this adds the kind of detail I'm hoping for.

20130916_104654_zps78606fc7.jpg
20130916_104816_zps8a6baf86.jpg

#26 Deathgoblin

Deathgoblin

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 897 posts
  • Full Name:Brian Wilson

Posted 16 September 2013 - 07:24 AM

Actually, that looks pretty good.  At most, you should be able to take some needle files and clean up the lines a little.  Beyond that, excellent work.  :)

#27 Greg Wann

Greg Wann

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts
  • Full Name:Greg Wann

Posted 16 September 2013 - 03:55 PM

At one time you get a new chrome tree from the hobby shops let me know if you need a replacement a friend of mine who passed away had some in his estate sale that i can heterosexual a hold of if you act quickly

HUH?

#28 blunc

blunc

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 979 posts
  • Full Name:mike cassidy

Posted 16 September 2013 - 10:15 PM

a little thread-necro happening....

#29 epi4561

epi4561

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 07:46 PM

Actually, that looks pretty good.  At most, you should be able to take some needle files and clean up the lines a little.  Beyond that, excellent work.  :)

Thanks, I appreciate it..  I have filed and filled and filed and filled for some time.. It seemed like when one problem got fixed, another one popped up.  I just got to the point where enough was enough; and said I'm not gonna get it any better.  And, most importantly, my Dad will be thoroughly pleased with it and not really notice any of the imperfections anyway. 

Now, having said that, If I were to do this over again, I would have taken a completely different approach which I guarantee would look 100 times better.  I just had too much time and effort invested in it to start over.

thanks again.

#30 Mike Kucaba

Mike Kucaba

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,876 posts
  • Full Name:Michael J Kucaba

Posted 18 September 2013 - 09:58 PM

I was aware of the interior problem, but roll and pleats? That original stock seat looks like seat Covers LOL. have you thought about using interior parts from the AMT '62 Pontiac Catalina?  That one is quite good for rep stock look, don't know how well it would fit or even if it would, but it's worth a look, and way cheaper than buying the Trumpeter hard top. Good luck on the build!!

#31 epi4561

epi4561

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 02:24 AM

I was aware of the interior problem, but roll and pleats? That original stock seat looks like seat Covers LOL. have you thought about using interior parts from the AMT '62 Pontiac Catalina?  That one is quite good for rep stock look, don't know how well it would fit or even if it would, but it's worth a look, and way cheaper than buying the Trumpeter hard top. Good luck on the build!!

I hadn't thought of that.. but after I read this I went on Ebay and found an interior from an old AMT '60 bonneville kit for $9/free shipping..  I'm gonna have to do some cutting and shaping on it but it shouldn't be anywhere where there's much detail.  I'm soooo excited. 

#32 epi4561

epi4561

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 05:15 AM

Well, I thoroughly destroyed the gauge bezel from the PE kit and the bezel from the model kit is not very accurate. So it looks like i'll have to combine the two.

20130923_095943-1_zps315466c9.jpg

#33 epi4561

epi4561

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 10:51 AM

Ok, It's been a while since my last update. I've been doing a lot of one step forward, two steps back,but I finally feel I'm on the right track.

If you recall my last post.......

Well, I thoroughly destroyed the gauge bezel from the PE kit and the bezel from the model kit is not very accurate. So it looks like i'll have to combine the two.

20130923_095943-1_zps315466c9.jpg

Well, there was another slight change.  I used a soda can and a dremel and alot of patience, and finally came up with this.

20130917_095957_zps7ee12c8f.jpg

20131010_140212_zps1567f42b.jpg

It's not perfect, but I think it looks good when in the dash with all of the components in place. What do you guys think?

20131118_195246_zpsc63b5ac4.jpg

#34 epi4561

epi4561

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 11:07 AM

Next I worked on the interior door panels.  I didn't like the way the molded on trim looked on the lower door above the carpet patch, so I sanded it off and used 2 pieces of 0.5 mm mechanical pencil led side-by-side and glued them in it's place.

20130924_163446_zps71d40736.jpg

Once they were in place, I cut off sewing pin heads for custom handles on the PE window cranks. I also experimented using small bits of colored wood putty to simulate the carpeting.  I don't really care for it but it's too late to change it now, especially at the snails pace I work.  Here they are all painted and foiled with the PE parts attached. Hope you like it.

20131118_195403_zps265b67db.jpg

#35 epi4561

epi4561

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 11:13 AM

Finally, I got those darn seats to a point where I decided not to mess with them any longer.  Here they are painted and attached to the interior floor and set on the chassis.

20131118_195501_zpseabab6df.jpg

20131118_195651_zpsccc65cea.jpg

Thanks for looking, I know I'm not up to most of you guys' standards, but for the most part I'm happy with it. I hope you guys enjoy it as well.

#36 Ron Hamilton

Ron Hamilton

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,420 posts
  • Full Name:Ronald Hamilton

Posted 19 November 2013 - 12:34 PM

The work you did to the interior looks pretty good to me.

Here is a link to my build.

http://www1.snapfish...ovm":{"v":"s"}}

#37 charlie8575

charlie8575

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,540 posts
  • Full Name:Charlie

Posted 19 November 2013 - 12:42 PM

Nice work salvaging the interior.

Charlie Larkin

#38 Wonderbread Kustomz

Wonderbread Kustomz

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,684 posts
  • Full Name:James Evans

Posted 19 November 2013 - 12:47 PM

Nice job!

#39 Mike Kucaba

Mike Kucaba

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,876 posts
  • Full Name:Michael J Kucaba

Posted 20 November 2013 - 05:35 PM

Nice work!! Those seats came out real nice. Is that the wood putty for carpeting in the trunk area? Whatever, it looks good too.

#40 epi4561

epi4561

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 12:14 AM

Thanks everyone for your nice comments. I really appreciate them.

Nice work!! Those seats came out real nice. Is that the wood putty for carpeting in the trunk area? Whatever, it looks good too.

Yes it is.... thanks again for the compliment.  For future builds where I try to carpet, I think I will try a little harder to find actual flocking instead of listening to my inner cheapskate.