#41 Rob Hall

Rob Hall

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,128 posts
  • Full Name:Robert Hall

Posted 02 October 2012 - 03:36 PM

These are the wheels & tires. The stock and drag wheels and tires from the regular kit are gone. The parts trees look the same as the regular kit at first glance otherwise..

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#42 martinfan5

martinfan5

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,238 posts
  • Full Name:Jonathan Stephens

Posted 02 October 2012 - 03:38 PM

It's the gift that just keeps giving!

Revell - We Give You Less for More!

Thats funny cause its true

I think the problem is this, again Revell fails to put inside the box to build what the box art shows, if you are going to do a special version of a car, do it right, oh wait, thats not Revells motto. Sure can you get it close, yes, but not with out work, but the wheels, unless someone out there makes a correct set of wheels, this is not going to be a correct Foose car

Revell- king of cheap

#43 martinfan5

martinfan5

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,238 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 03:40 PM

So on a scale of 1-10, how close are the wheels, 10 being , oh wait , this is Revell :lol:

#44 blubaja

blubaja

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts
  • Full Name:Francis Xavier Tiewski 3rd

Posted 02 October 2012 - 03:40 PM

The tires seem fine to me! The lack of build options, or rather, the forced upon, this version only, sucks. Well hey, then at least you get a neat Foose drawn boxart...

#45 Rob Hall

Rob Hall

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,128 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 03:42 PM

The tires seem fine to me! The lack of build options, or rather, the forced upon, this version only, sucks. Well hey, then at least you get a neat Foose drawn boxart...

They are very narrow...not wide enough for a Pro-Touring style car like this.

#46 martinfan5

martinfan5

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,238 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 03:51 PM

Will the wheels fit say a set of pegasus tires?, or are those wide enough for pro touring style?

Edited by martinfan5, 02 October 2012 - 03:51 PM.

#47 Rob Hall

Rob Hall

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,128 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 03:52 PM

Will the wheels fit say a set of pegasus tires?, or are those wide enough for pro touring style?

I haven't tried, but you would have to cut the ridge off probably...

#48 martinfan5

martinfan5

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,238 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 03:59 PM

I haven't tried, but you would have to cut the ridge off probably...

I figured that out as I was typing the question I could see the rib in the pic you posted

#49 Rob Hall

Rob Hall

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,128 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 04:32 PM

I've got some parts gathered for my spin on this car...large diameter versions of the '70s Trans Am snowflake wheels, '70s GM sport mirrors, '70s Trans Am shaker hood scoop....now to find the time and inspiration to build it... :)

#50 Casey

Casey

MCM Ohana

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,989 posts
  • Full Name:Casey Littmann

Posted 02 October 2012 - 04:50 PM

I don't get all the whining- anyone who knew this kit was coming knew it would pretty much be a straight reissue with new wheels, tires and decals. Did anyone seriously think Revell was going to completely re-tool the kit to be accurate to the 1:1 car as seen on Overhaulin'? There's no way possible these tires would even fit the Firebird's wheel wells if it were as low as the 1:1 car it replicates.

Yes, Revell slapped on the Foose name and catchy box artwork (read more $$$ for both Chip and Revell), added new wheels, tires (well, existing tires- they have appeared before in the '62 Impala CW kit), and new decals, and shipped it out. Does it say anywhere on the box "builds an authentic replica of the car Chip Foose designed and helped build on the hit TV show Overhaulin'!"? I don't think that was ever Revell's intention, and seems kind of silly to complain about something which in you heart of hearts knew was never really a likely possibility to happen from the start.

#51 Joe Handley

Joe Handley

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,956 posts
  • Full Name:Billy Joe

Posted 02 October 2012 - 08:49 PM

Posted Image
Posted Image

Thanks for posting these pics Draggon, I can use them here!

I think Casey has a point with how much would be needed to make the kit fully represent the drawing. Look at the wheel openings alone, you would have to section out and raise or grind the flaring back and create a while new flares once the opening has been raised to get that look, while not even trying to get that stance. Then with the rake of the windshield on top of it, they would probably have to retool half of that kit to make it look like the artwork! I never saw that episode, so I decided to go looking for a decent pic of that car, and here's what I found....

Posted Image

Cosmeticly, the model doesn't appear to be as far off the final product in 1/1 scale as it is from the drawing, honestly, I thought it looked darn close when you compare the model to the full sized car vs comparing either to the artwork. Honestly, only think keeping me from buying this kit is that the car payment for my 200 and fuel for it come first over buying the kit, if I can swing the cash for one right now, I would have bought one of the three we got in last friday by now!

#52 Steven Zimmerman

Steven Zimmerman

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 839 posts
  • Full Name:Steven

Posted 03 October 2012 - 03:07 AM

Since this posting was first put on line, I have tried to convince myself this is what we should have expected Better part of two days, I tried not to find fault with Revell for this....But the more i think about it, we as customers, have been just plain ripped off. Now, those of you who know me, lnow i have supported the model companies in their efforts to give us a fair product at a decent price, even if they weren't accurate, or didn't fit to gether well....Always said that's the price you pay so they could stay in business....We compromised our standards / kept thinking " just buy it to support the hobby ,and so they can stay in business"..... N O.... M O R E ! This was the last straw for me, I'm TIRED OF GETTING RIPPED OFF !. (end of rant).

#53 MAGNUM4342

MAGNUM4342

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,285 posts
  • Full Name:Kevin White

Posted 03 October 2012 - 05:09 AM

How bout this. "If a job is worth doing it's worth doing right...if it's not worth doing, give it to Revell!" :lol:

#54 plowboy

plowboy

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,544 posts
  • Full Name:Roger Hayes

Posted 03 October 2012 - 05:30 AM

Rob, are the wheels/tires the big and bigger or are all four the same size? Hard to tell in the photos. Revell could have at least made them like the other "California Wheels" with an open wheelback and a set of disc brakes. :( :rolleyes: The wheels themselves look pretty accurate. Also, it looks like the kit is a pretty close depiction of the real car with the exception of the powertrain. Neither one is close to Chip's drawing.

#55 Rob Hall

Rob Hall

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,128 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 05:44 AM

Rob, are the wheels/tires the big and bigger or are all four the same size?

All the same size..

Neither one is close to Chip's drawing.

Good point..his sketches are always exaggerated...

And most of the commentary in this thread isn't 'whining', it's criticism. There is a difference.

Edited by Rob Hall, 03 October 2012 - 08:59 AM.

#56 Jantrix

Jantrix

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,306 posts
  • Full Name:Rob Mattis

Posted 03 October 2012 - 05:55 AM

I don't get all the whining-

Although I'm disappointed that we didn't get some lowered suspension components I gotta agree with Casey. Reissues like these are a fact of life and if they want to do stuff like this while they are also giving us new molds I say LET EM! If they had just reissued this as a California Wheels version, no one would be whining.

Sorry guys but the '50 Olds, 48 Ford, 49 Merc, the Deuces, the Choppers and the upcoming '62 Vette will buy a lot of slack from yours truly.

Edited by Jantrix, 03 October 2012 - 05:56 AM.

#57 VERNON

VERNON

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts
  • Full Name:vernon philip hayden

Posted 03 October 2012 - 06:21 AM

Bought for for the box art only. Disappointed to see stock suspension. I do appreciate Revell's attempt for new subjects.

#58 Jon Cole

Jon Cole

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,420 posts
  • Full Name:Jon... although my parents used to call me "KNOCK IT OFF!"

Posted 03 October 2012 - 07:22 AM

Actually, I am amazed that anyone expected more. This isn't the first "New wheels in an old kit" stunt that we have seen. Right or wrong, that is what they do. I expect more of the same. And the artwork does imply more alterations than provided in the box. This is the kind of stuff that AMT used to do (Donk wheels on a '32 Ford?).

#59 Harry P.

Harry P.

MCM Ohana

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,408 posts
  • Full Name:A mere layman...

Posted 03 October 2012 - 08:57 AM

Yes, Revell slapped on the Foose name and catchy box artwork (read more $$$ for both Chip and Revell), added new wheels, tires (well, existing tires- they have appeared before in the '62 Impala CW kit), and new decals, and shipped it out. Does it say anywhere on the box "builds an authentic replica of the car Chip Foose designed and helped build on the hit TV show Overhaulin'!"? I don't think that was ever Revell's intention...

You have got to be kidding... right? Ok, it doesn't explicitly say so anywhere on the box...

But to say it was never Revell's intention to get people to think this was a model kit of Foose's custom Firebird?

Of course it was. That was exactly their intention!

Do you think the big "FOOSE" logo and his signature and his artwork appeared on the box top by accident? This is clearly a case of the manufacturer being less than honest in their packaging/marketing. It was done intentionally, not by accident. No way to sugar-coat that or explain it away. Not even Art can put a positive spin on this one.

#60 plowboy

plowboy

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,544 posts
  • Full Name:Roger Hayes

Posted 03 October 2012 - 09:13 AM

Not even Art can put a positive spin on this one.

You sure about that?? :lol: I'm willing to bet he could come up with something.