#121 Dave

Dave

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts
  • Full Name:Dave Sciano

Posted 21 October 2012 - 04:56 PM

So, after a few weeks of searching for this kit, I resorted to Steal-bay for this, received the kit, and the next day I see it at HobbyLobby! :\ Oh well. Anyway, I just had to get this kit and see for myself what it up with it. So here we go....

First of all, the kit is a 2 in 1. You can build the Foose version, or a race version with a blower and special decals which appear to be new. The stock wheels and tires are not included and IMO, aren`t missed (I never liked the stock ones anyway). The drag wheels and tires offered in past kits are also not available. Everything else seems to be the same as in the previous releases. So, I will skip over a basic kit review and move onto the more contentious items.

Warning! Unpopular opinions ahead
I decided to mock this thing up, completely stock and straight out of the box. I simply assembled the parts according to the instructions, and this is the result:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

For reference, here is the 1:1. Pictures are a bit scarce on this for some reason:

Posted Image

Posted Image

To my eyes, the stance appears to be ever so *slightly* higher with the kit as opposed to the 1:1, maybe by a scale inch or two in the front. If you notice in the pictures of the 1:1, even from above, you can see the tread on the front tires. So, the tires are not tucked under the fenders, but actually have a couple inches of clearance from the fender. And speaking of the tires, they actually appear to be much *wider* in the kit as opposed to the 1:1. Look how narrow the front tire is in the very last picture. And the back tire isn`t much wider.
As far as the wheels, they appear to be close, but the spokes seem to get just a little narrow towards the ends. And it looks as though the 1:1 has "bigs" in the backs and "littles" in the fronts. Maybe someone else can confirm this as I have yet to see the entire episode. Still, if they are different diameter wheels, I am guessing it is only by a couple inches at the most. It looks as though the kit has the back wheels all the way around.
The kit does not include disc brakes, though there are brake rotor decals for inside of the wheel backs to make it look like it has disc brakes.
The kit engine is the stock GM small block V8, which should be an LS2 according to the pictures I have seen of the real car. Though the 1:1 is an LS2, it is a carbureted LS2. This means that visually the top end isn`t much different than the 400 included in the kit. The most glaring difference would actually likely be the equidistant exhaust ports on the LS2. I noticed in the pictures of the real car that they moved the coil packs to the firewall. This is an unmistakable detail, as it takes up a good bit of real estate on the firewall. All of this probably explains why the stock 400 was left in the kit. To replicate the 1:1 car would require a small block LS engine from a `97 and up Corvette or 98 and up fbody kit (except the 5th gens) and shaving the coil packs off the valve covers and placing them on the firewall.
Lastly, the interior is simply the stock interior. The race seats and updated Foose-ified rear seats are not included.

My thoughts on this kit....
This is clearly not a kit marketed towards us exacting, finicky, hobbyists that can pick out incorrect tire patterns on a whim. This is for non-hobbyists and kids that are fans of the show,or hobbyists the just want something that looks like a Foose car. As I said earlier, I remember buying countless MPC Knight Rider kits in the past, and I even have one now to complete. I didn`t care that some of the details were incorrect. It looked like "KITT". And I think alot of people familiar with the show, and are open to modeling, will have the same mindset.
I understand completely why Revell did what they did with this kit. We don`t like it, but I am betting with the ultra-cool box art, the huge bling wheels, and the custom graphics, it will sell decently in places like Hobby Lobby and Wal Mart. And Foose`s name stamped on it wont hurt. I would also rather they poo-poo this subject to make a profit to be able to bring us completely awesome kits like the coming `70 Cuda, Mustang LX, and the Stacy David Ford, which are all new tools from the ground up and probably wouldn`t sell very well in the general, non-hobbyist, Wal-Mart type crowd.

Now where`s that fire jacket.....

All well said! I kind of wish they included a copy of the Foose art work in the box.

#122 jeffs396

jeffs396

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,041 posts
  • Full Name:Jeff

Posted 24 October 2012 - 01:08 AM

David, thanks so much for your mockup & thorough review, much appreciated! Looks very workable, could always sleeve the rims for extra width...

Glad to hear there are some extra parts included. This one will be on my Hobby Lobby 40% off list! :)

#123 Jantrix

Jantrix

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,150 posts
  • Full Name:Rob Mattis

Posted 24 October 2012 - 01:59 AM

Looking at the wheels in the flesh, they don't look as bad as I thought. Maybe with the kit chrome stripped and some Alclad, they might be very nice.

So it looks like the only real disappointment is the lack of drag wheels.

#124 Lownslow

Lownslow

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,737 posts
  • Full Name:Frank Rizzo

Posted 24 October 2012 - 05:32 AM

i saw the 1:1 foose wheel yep its UUUUUUGLEEEE, needs some serious offset to make presentable

#125 ScaleModelAddict

ScaleModelAddict

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • Full Name:Scott Girvan

Posted 30 October 2012 - 03:20 PM

Guys, there must be aftermarket wheels and tires that would help to build this...fooser? I just took a quick look at elmcityhobbies, and Scott has several low profile looking sets..

Wouldn't something like that work?

Must be brakes too for that matter. And i know we shouldn't have to resort to AM...

Edited by ScaleModelAddict, 30 October 2012 - 03:28 PM.

#126 martinfan5

martinfan5

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,966 posts
  • Full Name:Jonathan Stephens

Posted 03 November 2012 - 02:42 PM

Please for the love of all things , can someone explain to me why Foose is so popular, he takes a old car, puts some wheels on it, does a motor swap, adds some racing seats and puts a "cool" paint striped down the side ?, whats to so cool about that, I am really trying to understand, help me please :huh:

David, nice mock up review , the ride height does not look to bad out of the box

Edited by martinfan5, 03 November 2012 - 02:46 PM.

#127 Longbox55

Longbox55

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,521 posts
  • Full Name:Bill Burmeister

Posted 03 November 2012 - 03:29 PM

Please for the love of all things , can someone explain to me why Foose is so popular, he takes a old car, puts some wheels on it, does a motor swap, adds some racing seats and puts a "cool" paint striped down the side ?, whats to so cool about that, I am really trying to understand, help me please :huh:

David, nice mock up review , the ride height does not look to bad out of the box

That's just for the show. Like George said, Google Foose, especially any of the full customs his shop has turned out, several of which are AMBR winners. Foose also designed many of the cars built at Boyd Coddingtons shop, including Boydster 1 and 2, as well as the Eddie Van Halen Chevy truck.

#128 Hawk312

Hawk312

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts
  • Full Name:David Eicherly

Posted 03 November 2012 - 05:36 PM

I think you may want to Google Chip Foose and see what he really builds,nothing like what you see on Overhaulin.

What he said.
From what I understand, on Overhaulin, they go from concept to completed restoration in 7 days.
He are some *real* Foose cars:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by Hawk312, 03 November 2012 - 05:37 PM.

#129 martinfan5

martinfan5

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,966 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 07:23 PM

Those are nice, I am going to google and see what all he has done ;)

#130 Casey

Casey

MCM Ohana

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,892 posts
  • Full Name:Casey Littmann

Posted 03 November 2012 - 07:25 PM

Those are nice, I am going to google and see what all he has done ;)

Look at what his father, Sam Foose, Sr. has done, too.

#131 martinfan5

martinfan5

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,966 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 07:36 PM

Look at what his father, Sam Foose, Sr. has done, too.

Will do ;)

#132 Muncie

Muncie

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • Full Name:Steve Payne

Posted 04 November 2012 - 05:09 AM

www.wallesdator.com - click on the Foose oval

#133 Hawk312

Hawk312

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts
  • Full Name:David Eicherly

Posted 04 November 2012 - 04:07 PM

Thanks Jonathan. Yeah, I am thinking maybe only the front is just a little bit high, comparing it to the pictures of the 1:1. I tried dropping down the front with my kit, which was really easy. Basically you just have to modify the posts where the lower a-arm sub-assembly mounts, and I think you have to shave a little off the bottom of the body where it meets this sub-assembly. This is all from memory so there might be a couple other little things, but I know it only took me 5-10 minutes. I ended up taking a little too much off and now the tires are up into the fender. :D
I do think that it looks much better in person though. For some reason, even in my pics, the rims appear to be shallower than they really are. I think they would look good on a lot of muscle car kits for a "pro-touring" look.

#134 ScaleModelAddict

ScaleModelAddict

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • Full Name:Scott Girvan

Posted 07 November 2012 - 11:55 AM

I just got this kit and it looks good. I think I'll try to drop it down a bit...have to learn how first though.

#135 racejunkie

racejunkie

MCM Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9 posts
  • Full Name:Dillon ollis

Posted 02 December 2012 - 09:30 AM

just finished my foose kit today and yes i wasvery dissapointed in it. it was my first build  and i wish i had gotten something else to start out with. it came out decently but sits up like a truck. easy build tho asilde from misfitting parts when you do the race kit.

Attached Files

#136 kruleworld

kruleworld

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 454 posts
  • Full Name:Walter Strider

Posted 20 December 2012 - 01:25 PM

Coulda tooled up an LS1 and/or borrow parts from the '98-02 Camaro/Firebird kits.

I don't think a lot of kits are made to be 'modular' in that the engine is often spread over several sprues and mixed with suspension parts, instead of being all contained so they can put any engine or any wheels in any kit.

#137 Dogfish_7

Dogfish_7

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts
  • Full Name:Bruce Osborne

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:45 AM

Wish I had read this thread before buying the kit. Very disappointed! The only thing you get with this kit is decals, wheels and some great box art.

#138 Flatout

Flatout

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • Full Name:Pete Ramirez

Posted 19 February 2013 - 05:31 AM

I enjoyed building this kit.  The fit and finish were quite good, the Pontiac engine looks pretty accurate, and the decals for the quarter panels laid down nicely.  The only issue I had with assembly was getting the front of the chassis to fit in the body.

I took the "smoothing" a step further than they did on the 1:1 (shaved the door handles, outside mirror, and the emblems) and lowered the car all around.  Used Testers "Blazing Black One Coat Laquer"  and Wet Look Clear.  Looks pretty good on the shelf, will probably try the Coronet too.

Aloha...Pete

fot1-vi.jpg

fot2-vi.jpg

fot3-vi.jpg

fot4-vi.jpg

#139 Joe Handley

Joe Handley

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,525 posts
  • Full Name:Billy Joe

Posted 22 February 2013 - 06:41 PM

Beautiful build Pete!

#140 Darin Bastedo

Darin Bastedo

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,548 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 05:03 AM

Pete, that is an excellent build. I for one am happy to have a new variation to build.