#21 Wagoneer81

Wagoneer81

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 975 posts
  • Full Name:Chris Eddy.

Posted 09 October 2012 - 10:20 AM

Very cool! I love these old classics. I'll be watching close!

#22 kruleworld

kruleworld

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 488 posts
  • Full Name:Walter Strider

Posted 09 October 2012 - 12:20 PM

Yes, it was put into very hot water to soften the plastic before being clamped to the wood, this has always worked for me in the past, but this time, it actually came out ever more twisted than it started off, luckily the one on the kit bought for spares is a lot better.

you can always rust up the twisted chassis. be good for a diorama. i'm interested to see how the alcad brass looks.

#23 sjordan2

sjordan2

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,881 posts
  • Full Name:Skip Jordan

Posted 09 October 2012 - 12:22 PM

you can always rust up the twisted chassis. be good for a diorama. i'm interested to see how the alcad brass looks.

You've got to be kidding. Rust on this classic would be a sacrilege, and not at all what Geoff can do with his wonderful skills.

#24 Wagoneer81

Wagoneer81

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 975 posts
  • Full Name:Chris Eddy.

Posted 09 October 2012 - 03:22 PM

I didn't even know that this kit existed before now... I looked earlier and just scored a started, seemingly complete MPC kit on evilbay. ($9.42 w/shipping!) It'll look really sweet next to my AMT 1909 Thomas Flyer... B) :)

#25 Chuck Most

Chuck Most

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,259 posts
  • Full Name:Charles Donald Eric Richard Jules Kasim Most

Posted 11 October 2012 - 03:08 AM

You've got to be kidding. Rust on this classic would be a sacrilege, and not at all what Geoff can do with his wonderful skills.

The only Stutz Bearcat I've ever seen in person in my life was rusted. Badly. Steel rusts, pressed into the shape of an iconic ar or not. And it takes skill to make plastic look rusty.

That being said, I hope Jeff takes the opposite path and makes this one factory fresh... or at least low-milage in appearance. B)

#26 GeeBee

GeeBee

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,530 posts
  • Full Name:Geoff Brown

Posted 11 October 2012 - 03:49 AM

I hope Jeff takes the opposite path and makes this one factory fresh... or at least low-milage in appearance. B)

Don't worry, like all my other builds, it will be finished like it just rolled off the production line ....

#27 GeeBee

GeeBee

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,530 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 07:29 AM

Spent the day in the hobby room and got the body, bonnet and wheels in body colour, also got the parts that need to be done in Alclad painted gloss black, for this I used Revell enamel thinned with lacquer thinners, just the engine and a few parts that need to be done in Aluminum to be painted, chassis was also painted using gloss black enamel.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#28 mr moto

mr moto

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 893 posts
  • Full Name:Manuel J. Martinez

Posted 11 October 2012 - 09:30 AM

I didn't know that a Stutz had ever been done in 1/25 scale! I'd love to see that reissued and some other 1/25 cars of that era tooled up.

#29 Foxer

Foxer

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,097 posts
  • Full Name:Mike DeRagon

Posted 11 October 2012 - 03:02 PM

I'm really enjoying this. Looks like an Airfix kit alright .. All Finicky. Seems you've used every Popsicle stick on hand in this build. :)

#30 GeeBee

GeeBee

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,530 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 03:16 AM

Got the polished brass Alclad done this morning, although I would have prefered a lighter finish, I'm happy with the finish of the Alclad, sadly the photo's don't do the finish justice ... the steering wheel rim will be painted to look like wood using desert tan, dry brushed with copper and then clear orange

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by GeeBee, 12 October 2012 - 03:20 AM.

#31 charlie8575

charlie8575

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,650 posts
  • Full Name:Charlie

Posted 12 October 2012 - 05:12 AM

The brass looks good, Geoff. I like the way it settled into the steering wheel- it looks like with a little fancy footwork, that paint could almost replicate bronze acceptably.

Charlie Larkin

#32 GeeBee

GeeBee

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,530 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 06:21 AM

The brass looks good, Geoff. I like the way it settled into the steering wheel- it looks like with a little fancy footwork, that paint could almost replicate bronze acceptably.

Charlie Larkin

It looks better in real life, but I still wish it was a touch light, next time I use it I might mix a little chrome with it, but for this build I will leave it alone.

Had a lunch break then got back in the hobby room, as I wanted to paint the engine and seats and the luggage trunk, for the engine I used Triumph Brooklands green, and the seats were done with Tamiya flat red with a few drops of brown to tone down the red, they will get a coat of satin varnish where there dry

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by GeeBee, 12 October 2012 - 06:25 AM.

#33 bryan_m

bryan_m

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,501 posts
  • Full Name:Bryan Mccallum

Posted 12 October 2012 - 06:36 AM

Looking good! the brass looks good......i have some of that stuff, but i havent used it yet.

cheers
bryan

#34 Erik Smith

Erik Smith

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,907 posts
  • Full Name:Erik Smith

Posted 13 October 2012 - 10:40 AM

Okay, so I have been looking along with your build and enjoying it. Today, at our model club meeting, a member brought a friend. That's not all that exciting. Until I find out the friend OWNS the George Barris car from the TV show! Yes, the real deal from the show. I showed him his thread and he thought it looked great - especially the brass. He said I could use the car for reference if anybody ever wanted to build the TV car (which is a replica Stutz with a more modern power plant, etc).

#35 GeeBee

GeeBee

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,530 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 11:12 AM

He said I could use the car for reference if anybody ever wanted to build the TV car (which is a replica Stutz with a more modern power plant, etc).

If you could find out, I would like to find out what colour the trim colour is on the front and rear wings and bonnet, I really can't make it out on the photo's I have

#36 bryan_m

bryan_m

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,501 posts
  • Full Name:Bryan Mccallum

Posted 13 October 2012 - 11:33 AM

i like the way this project is shaping up, youre makin me want to build something "classic"

cheers
bryan

#37 crazyrichard

crazyrichard

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,088 posts
  • Full Name:richard gelens

Posted 13 October 2012 - 10:57 PM

thats looking so cool , love the brass effect and it being a bit darker then usual doent bother me , like you said you wanted it a bit brighter , now it looks like it never got a polish :)
i find this topic particulairly interesting because i saw 2 kits like this for sale for almost no money (maybe they are impopulair here?)
now i see the content of the kit i can see i could build a cool little hotrod out of one of these

#38 GeeBee

GeeBee

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,530 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 06:13 AM

Got a few of the smaller parts detailed today, the dash was first sprayed using Tamiya desert sand, then dry brushed with Tamiya bronze, then coated with Tamiya clear orange, the steering wheel was done the same way ...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

The seats got a coat of artists satin varnish

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#39 crazyrichard

crazyrichard

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,088 posts
  • Full Name:richard gelens

Posted 15 October 2012 - 07:05 AM

awsome job !

#40 W-409

W-409

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,675 posts
  • Full Name:Niko Lindström

Posted 16 October 2012 - 04:37 AM

Seats look fantastic! They look like real ones to me, they look "soft"-as they are in 1:1 cars. The wood effect looks great, too. Keep coming, I always enjoy following your builds.