Model Cars Magazine Forum

My paying job is at a car dealer. I'm the parts manager. My main job is being a dad. Just me and my daughter, and I wouldn't trade it for ANYTHING!! My non paying job is a volunteer firefighter. I just recently moved and got out of that. I was the Assistant Chief at one station and just a black helmet firefighter at another. I still have the itch and will get back into it when I get everything settled in the new place.

I was a structural engineer for 35 years (still am licensed, but retired) working for Hill Engineers, Architects, Planners, a small 50 person consulting firm. We did everything needed for buildings and started as paper mill experts. You ALL have samples made in the first building I designed ... a new paper machine plant for Crane & Company here in Dalton, MA ... they make 100% of US Currency paper there! ... yes, it has a green aura inside! I've done work in over 1000 paper mills around the world but with the decline in the industry in the US we worked on commercial, educational, residential and just about anything else that came along. I loved going to work every day as every new job had something new I had never done before. It was a lot like modeling nowadays! :)

Edited by Foxer

Great thread.

22 years ago I started out as a stripper working nights.

No lie. but not what you think. It's a printing term for laying up flim before making plates. I first stripped for the Sacramento Bee.

From there I took a job with a major commercial printer. I saw the stripping job was going digital and moved into Customer Service and then into Account Management. I ran the Sunday Comics account for several years. I got to travel accross the United States to the various plants that ran the job. When the newspaper industry went down hill, many of took back the printing of thier Sunday Comics. I am still with the same company - 20 years - but now I run more than one account.

I started a teaching credential. Eventually I plan to teach special needs kids.

I would also be fun to see a post on some ofthe oddball jobs we held along the way. One of mine was stacking broccoli rings at night.

Scott

Edited by Scott Colmer

Odd jobs or disgusting, I love animals...I worked at a freekin slaughter house for a few years before the R.R. job. It was in Ottumwa , Iowa. I absolutely hated that one!!!! I didn't eat pork for YEARS!!! I worked in the " kill " dept., and "cut " dept. Being someone that likes ALL animals, that job was the only thing that paid well. Did I say that I HATED that job?! That was the worst job ever for someone like me!!

22 years ago I started out as a stripper working nights.

No lie. but not what you think. It's a printing term for laying up flim before making plates. I first stripped for the Sacramento Bee.

Ha ha! My mom was a stripper when I was in high school! Same thing.

Drew

Electronic technician since 1984. First with Grumman Aerospace, working with naval avionics and commercial "tools"; then twenty years provding tech support and customer service for Biodex Medical Systems ('til a layoff); now, production technician for nuclear medicine equipment at a company that shall go nameless... Before all that? Almost anything, including: perform surgery on dogs and cats, to drive a fork lift, to paint backhoes, to credit card collections, to stock clerk to soldiering...

Was an O/O for 10 years, whenthe company i was hauling for got bought out. sold the truck and started driving for another company locally. Then 7 1/2 years ago I started driving for MTS in Grand Rapids Mi. hauling auto parts. I work out of the Lansing terminal. Had several dedicated trips but love the one I have now. 2 trips to Adrian a day and done by noon.

I'm a C.N.C. programmer / machinist at CoorsTek. Not a day job, though; I work swing shift. I also repair guitars on the side.

Prior to this I've done everything from custom home remodeling to warehouse management, all the while bouncing in and out of aerospace machining (This industry is notorious for lay offs as DOD contracts run out).