what ever happened to mpc and they heyday of model kits?

• You cannot reply to this topic
25 replies to this topic

#21 checkmate

checkmate

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts
  • Full Name:Rob Burns

Posted 08 October 2012 - 04:11 AM

MPC cetainly had some cool as can be kits back in the day. I love collecting their old van kits and other subjects too! I'd love to see them reissue the 1/20 MPC vans!!!! Even just one with a selection of options from the other toolings would be great.

#22 kruleworld

kruleworld

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 456 posts
  • Full Name:Walter Strider

Posted 09 October 2012 - 01:57 PM

MPC's heydeys were long over by the time I got into models in the early '80s, so MPC kits didn't appeal to me at all.

as a kid, i preferred mpc over revell as they had metal axles and were 'tougher' than the fragile revell suspensions. as a mature modeller, i prefer the detail and realism of revell's kits. i guess that's how priorities change.

#23 LoneWolf15

LoneWolf15

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,300 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 02:46 PM

MPC had alot of fantastic kits ! I remember walking to McCrory's five and dime and paying 99 cents a piece for the previous year's annuals. Kits that now go for hundreds of dollars a piece in today's market ! Talk about sticker shock ? Lol !

Wouldn't have traded it for the world , they built up quite nicely for their time and place . I find it hilarious when I hear guys griping about this and that kit in today's model world . Most have no clue , they would have gone berserk back then ! We were just thrilled to get new kits every year .

The really sad part about it all ....... We are in a golden age right now when it comes to kits and most are totally oblivious to the fact .

#24 Casey

Casey

MCM Ohana

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,900 posts
  • Full Name:Casey Littmann

Posted 09 October 2012 - 05:31 PM

as a kid, i preferred mpc over revell as they had metal axles

Maybe that's why I was a Monogram loyalist- no metal axles...just ill-proportioned bodies. :D

I think my first MPC kit was the "Ram Tuff" Dodge longbed monster truck, but I also bought the '74 Pro Street 'Cuda, Jeep Commando (which did get built/finished), Toyota Supra, and the best (and last?) MPC kit, the '69 Olds Cutlass. I currently have two MPC '74 Dodge vans, a '77 Chevette, and a half-dozen ZIngers!, but I like to think I now have the skills and interest to make better what I couldn't or didn't want to thirty years ago. ^_^

#25 Tonioseven

Tonioseven

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,770 posts
  • Full Name:Antonio Holmes

Posted 09 October 2012 - 06:37 PM

I would say that personally, the heyday is the time we're in now as far as models are concerned. Look at the kits that are readily available and those that are soon (hopefully) to be released. Also look at the amount of positive information and communication that we have access too. Thanks to these resources, I can find just about any kit I have ever wanted and I almost have too! I WILL find that Chrysler 300 and '61 Oldsmobile eventually! I WOULD like to get an MPC Pinto wagon though.

#26 Monty

Monty

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,543 posts
  • Full Name:Monty

Posted 09 October 2012 - 06:40 PM

and the best (and last?) MPC kit, the '69 Olds Cutlass.

I've always wondered if that kit had a different design team at MPC or if they just decided to go out on a high note & offer one last, great 1/25 car. Either way, it was leagues better than most of their releases. The chassis is very well designed and features poseable steering and a fairly accurate suspension. The grille utilizes paintable glue-in inserts (instead of making you detail paint the grille's chromed surface), and it features clear plastic headlight lenses instead of MPC's usual molded-in chrome units. MPC's "optional" wheels can be hit-or-miss, but this kit has a very nice set of 5-spoke mags that are period-perfect.