#321 1972coronet

1972coronet

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts
  • Full Name:John Shoe

Posted 15 June 2013 - 01:17 PM

The AMT '53 Ford can yield an accurate "Flareside" bed, with a little modification.

You're right , Ron ; that "Flareside" bed was the same from 1953 - 1979 !

#322 kataranga

kataranga

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,521 posts
  • Full Name:Chris Martin

Posted 15 June 2013 - 04:54 PM

ANY chance these will have an actual company logo on the tires? 

I know that the big boys like Firestone, Goodyear etc, may not be cost effective, but SURELY some of the smaller companies would love to have the chance to see their tires in scale. 

I have a Meng 1:35 scale Toyota Hilux kit. The tires are Dunlcp, I kid you not.  B)

At some point in the 70s I think it was the top of the bed sides were flattened from the earlier angled version to allow the mounting of an aftermarket cap. Also, the bed sides are taller on the 70s beds than the 50s-60s versions.

#323 Ron Hamilton

Ron Hamilton

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,934 posts
  • Full Name:Ronald Hamilton

Posted 15 June 2013 - 05:27 PM

I have a Meng 1:35 scale Toyota Hilux kit. The tires are Dunlcp, I kid you not.  B)

At some point in the 70s I think it was the top of the bed sides were flattened from the earlier angled version to allow the mounting of an aftermarket cap. Also, the bed sides are taller on the 70s beds than the 50s-60s versions.

I did say "with a little modification". The bed is a good place to start if you want the "flareside".

#324 Modelbuilder Mark

Modelbuilder Mark

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,294 posts
  • Full Name:Mark Hubbard

Posted 15 June 2013 - 07:56 PM

If there are licensing problems with tire manufacturers why not go with METZNER or MOEBIUS tires?

That is a great idea! I just get tires of seeing plain sidewalls, so a make-believe company would even be preferred. If not, I still think there are companies that would let you mold their tires for a reasonable amount, maybe Hancook for cars, or Generals for trucks etc. 

#325 mk11

mk11

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 409 posts
  • Full Name:mike mackie

Posted 16 June 2013 - 06:22 AM

The run on those short flaresides was just up to '72. More details here from post 126 on this thread:

{ Don't know how many of you guys have seen this, but about fifteen years ago the boys at sae put together a Ford truck model history.
http://www.fordifica...php?f=2&t=37394
Great reference.
As far as the short flareside boxes go, the design used on the sixties trucks ran from 53-72. Ford actually dropped the short flareside from 73-75 as they had widened the rear axle and frame in '73 and the early box was too narrow. They continued to use the eight foot flareside, though, which was wider and taller. For '76, they decided to issue a shortened version of this box. The tall flared box sides were only used in '76, the tops were flattened for '77. This is the design that ran through the eighties, with only a change to the squared off fenders from the rounded ones in 80. Therefore, to build a short pre-73 flareside, the boxes from revells 56, monograms 55 and amts 53 can be used. The boxes from monograms 80-up shortbox and the revell night rider truck could be used to build an accurate 77-79 flareside with just a change of fenders }

mike          

Edited by mk11, 17 June 2013 - 06:31 AM.

#326 Eshaver

Eshaver

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,961 posts
  • Full Name:Ellen Shaver

Posted 16 June 2013 - 09:03 AM

Actually, there a couple of "Minor " changes on the sides of the Ford Flair side . Granted the Fenders , well, the outer fenders date back to 1953. The bed sides changed I think around 1975. That was done so that camper shells would fit better . The obvious changes were the Flat tops on the sides  and a widened bed overall. I found that out when I had to buy a tailgate for my 78..........

#327 tooltas

tooltas

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,249 posts
  • Full Name:todd staples

Posted 13 July 2013 - 06:10 AM

the best kit for that revel's 80 and up step side monster truck.

#328 Eshaver

Eshaver

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,961 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 11:46 AM

the best kit for that revel's 80 and up step side monster truck.

Sure nuff, jus add fenders from either Monogram's 55 Ford F-100 or A M T's 53 Ford F-100.

#329 kataranga

kataranga

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,521 posts
  • Full Name:Chris Martin

Posted 13 July 2013 - 01:19 PM

Only that truck is 1:24 and everything else is 1:25...

#330 Chuck Kourouklis

Chuck Kourouklis

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 960 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 03:35 PM

I am amazed at how polarizing this "rivet counter" thing has become. I find nothing wrong with people enjoying kits even if they're not perfect, and I find nothing wrong with people pointing out inaccuracies. Is there a belief out there that one of these positions is "right", and the other "wrong"? What's up with this?

Always a pleasure to hear a voice of reason.  B)

There are those who react as if pointing out inaccuracies is VERY wrong, and I've debunked the approaches they use most frequently in my last blog (accessible through the "Blogs" button at the top of the page).

As for people enjoying imperfect kits, guilty as charged here, and for MANY of 'em.  There may be instances of people getting jumped on for liking kits even if they're not perfect - can't remember the last one I saw that wasn't provoked by an avalanche of personal attacks first - but they're far fewer and further between than those who get attacked for pointing out problems.

And even after the time I've had since to pore over the preview shots, I'm still thinking these pickups are Moebius's strongest vintage efforts by a margin.  There are deviations to be sure, but not nearly so loud this time around.

#331 Eshaver

Eshaver

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,961 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 08:49 AM

Chuck , I agree with you're reasoning . . Look, having a halfway decent replica of a early 70's Ford cab should be enough to satisfy general masses . Realisticly, yep, theres gonna be a few that I'll hear at the show running this kit down as well as this board . I don't think it's possibile to do a " Perfect " kit in scale . Not trying to be a total pessimist . Look , I do Fiberglass molding for pieces . Trying to do a Glass mold dosen't always gureentee a scaled copy will always translate ...........

#332 Art Anderson

Art Anderson

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,526 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 09:49 AM

Ya know, I am simply astonished that so many are assuming that the pics Dave Metzner put up are somehow the "finished product"!  May I remind the forum that those were after our first looks at the tooling mockups, and a pretty fair number of needed corrections were noted, that will have to be corrected before they go to tooling.

I'll have the privilege of helping review the revisions to these mockups come Saturday--hopefully the issues that Dave, Bill Coulter and I raised will have been corrected!

For whatever it's worth, Dave takes a pretty big risk in being so public about tooling mockups--I know of no other model company who's ever done that before--it does give modelers assurance that an announced product is moving forward, BUT it also can elicit negative comments from those who quite failed to read the very first posting that Dave puts up here--so, before you diss something like this, please read that very first post, where Dave put up the pictures--then you can understand what he (and those of us who help out) faces--and this is a process that goes on with just about every new model kit product, and with just about every manufacturer of model kits..

OK?

Art Anderson

#333 mikemodeler

mikemodeler

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • Full Name:Classified

Posted 18 July 2013 - 10:19 AM

Art,

Thank you for reminding the forum of the hard work and revisions needed to put out a quality kit. I, for one, am like a kid on Christmas Eve waiting for these kits! 

I know some feel that a kit should be 100% accurate and true to the 1:1 version it replicates but in reality it might not work that way. Have there been some recent kits that had glaring errors and other problems? Yep! And most of the time the manufacturer corrected them on the next run and offered fixes.

I think Dave helps his cause by getting us advance pictures of what we will be getting, I know it has me wanting to buy more than I intended to before I saw the mock ups!

Thanks again Art, your insight and experience has helped me have a better understanding of this hobby.

#334 Chuck Kourouklis

Chuck Kourouklis

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 960 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 10:32 AM

Certainly, Art - your point's very well taken, and I trust your meaning is distinct enough from what I cover in blog item #4 that it hasn't actually been anticipated.

The deviations I speak of do not encompass uneven grille bar spacing, or side trim that's not yet quite the right length, or misplaced marker lights or any other such obvious, superficial, and presumably correctable hickeys.  Was the Dana axle the most appropriate choice across the board? Maybe not, but it ain't in the zipcode of a deal-breaker for me.  The stuff that gets my attention is the sort of problem that might be baked irrevocably in the main mold.

The biggest such offender I can see here is that there's perhaps too much mass in the roof just over the top of the windshield - and if that's the worst of the proportioning problems, I'm delighted. The wheel arches appear to be placed right and contoured correctly in each fender, the door cut lines are bang-on, and if there's anything like that queasy sense of taffy-pulled headlights or scrunched and bumped rear quarters in the final product, I just ain't seein' them in the pics.  

The gross proportioning aspects really look the closest of any non big-rig Moebius has done so far, and that's why I'm pretty enthusiastic about what I've seen to date.  And I don't think it's mutually exclusive to come to such a conclusion AND realize this project is still very much a work in progress.

Edited by Chuck Kourouklis, 18 July 2013 - 10:33 AM.

#335 martinfan5

martinfan5

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,988 posts
  • Full Name:Jonathan Stephens

Posted 18 July 2013 - 10:51 AM

Edited by martinfan5, 18 July 2013 - 05:20 PM.

#336 Dave Van

Dave Van

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,221 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 04:27 PM

If they only knew......... :mellow:

#337 Kris Morgan

Kris Morgan

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,039 posts
  • Full Name:Kris Morgan

Posted 18 July 2013 - 05:10 PM

I myself trust this will be a great kit once all is said and done. Dave should be given a lot of respect for showing pre=production pics. I have had the chance to talk with him several times and find him to be very commited to the hobby.

#338 martinfan5

martinfan5

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,988 posts
  • Full Name:Jonathan Stephens

Posted 18 July 2013 - 05:21 PM

If they only knew......... :mellow:

The winning lotto numbers :D

#339 Ben

Ben

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,133 posts
  • Full Name:Ben Wicker

Posted 18 July 2013 - 05:31 PM

Just remember guys, you can NEVER make everyone happy!!!!!!! Our opinions are as different as our finger prints. What Moebius is doing is great for our hobby, period! They have become my most favorite model company simply because they actually listen to our opinions and share so much information with us. Everything I have bought from Moebius so far has been fantastic!!! There are minor things that I think could have been done differently but I'm a model builder. As long as the major proportions are correct, minor details are usually easy to fix. If you take a kit that has minor inaccuracies and you correct them, your just showing everyone you have a passion for that vehicle and that you are an accomplished model builder. To me, that's part of the fun. Think about it, if a model company were to make a kit so perfect that you could just build it straight from the box to get a perfect replica, wouldn't that be just like buying a Franklin Mint vehicle or a Danbury Mint vehicle? I think most of us buy model kits instead, because in a way, they challenge us to produce a quality, finished piece the way we want it to look. 

#340 Danno

Danno

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,388 posts
  • Full Name:Nameless Natural Luminary

Posted 18 July 2013 - 06:17 PM

Dittos, Ben.   B)