#1 Fat Brian

Fat Brian

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 934 posts
  • Full Name:Brian Croft

Posted 11 October 2012 - 05:03 PM

I had intended to do a mild custom with my first build of the 50 Olds but then the itch hit and I had to cut it up. I had seen years ago a 53/54 Chevy which had had it's rear fenders widened, I was eventually going to try this on an Olds but it happened to day. I cut along the crown of the fenders all the way from the front of the side bulge to the rear bumper, seperating the entire from face of the rear fender. I then added an eighth inch wide strip of square Evergreen and reattached the outer fender. The effect is subtle but hopefully after paint it will stand out a bit more. I have removed all of the side chrome and will start on a chop next, I've never done a chop this complex and I hope I can pull it off without having to get another body. I'm also going to french the headlights and some otherodds and ends. So, without further jawing, here are the pics.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#2 Dr. Cranky

Dr. Cranky

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,421 posts
  • Full Name:Virgil "Doctor Cranky" Suarez

Posted 11 October 2012 - 05:46 PM

Ooh, I liking that modification. Keep going.

#3 jeffs396

jeffs396

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,181 posts
  • Full Name:Jeff

Posted 11 October 2012 - 06:35 PM

Very cool Brian!

I hope to see LOTS of these cut up B)

Edited by jeffs396, 11 October 2012 - 06:36 PM.

#4 Fat Brian

Fat Brian

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 934 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 12:28 AM

I don't have any idea what to use for power, I would really like to keep the drivetrain Olds but I want a modern motor. I don't want to have to drop a 350 in it just to get some updated parts.

#5 bryan_m

bryan_m

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,501 posts
  • Full Name:Bryan Mccallum

Posted 12 October 2012 - 01:41 AM

very cool idea! great start

cheers
bryan

#6 crazyjim

crazyjim

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,848 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 01:45 AM

I like the fender mod.

#7 Ace-Garageguy

Ace-Garageguy

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,583 posts
  • Full Name:Bill Engwer

Posted 12 October 2012 - 03:34 AM

Great idea widening those rear fenders. Looking good.

As far as updating the engine goes, the Olds engine was redesigned for '64 and stayed in production in that basic form until 1990. A big-block (tall-deck) version debuted in 1965, and there are aluminum heads available aftermarket (Edelbrock) for the newer engine design in 1:1. Factory horsepower ratings for the 455 were as high as 400, with massive torque.

#8 jeffs396

jeffs396

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,181 posts
  • Full Name:Jeff

Posted 12 October 2012 - 05:32 AM

I don't have any idea what to use for power, I would really like to keep the drivetrain Olds but I want a modern motor. I don't want to have to drop a 350 in it just to get some updated parts.

Brian, you could use the four-cam Olds powerplant from the Revell Shelby series 1 kit if you want to go ultra-modern ;)

#9 Gluhead

Gluhead

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts
  • Full Name:It really is Gluhead

Posted 12 October 2012 - 05:47 AM

That's what I was going to suggest, Jeff. It builds up nice and would be a natural for a modern tekkie build. But the 455 is also a versatile beast that could fit that style with a little effort in accessory selection.

#10 Fat Brian

Fat Brian

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 934 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 09:50 AM

Brian, you could use the four-cam Olds powerplant from the Revell Shelby series 1 kit if you want to go ultra-modern ;)

That's what I was going to suggest, Jeff. It builds up nice and would be a natural for a modern tekkie build. But the 455 is also a versatile beast that could fit that style with a little effort in accessory selection.

Thanks for the heads up on the Series 1 engine, that might be just the ticket. Otherwise I do have some 455s laying around that might get pressed into service with a modern intake plunked on it. I did a little more today, gluing the headlight bezels in getting ready for the frenching. I'm still strategizing the chop and trying to decide if I want to eliminate the B pillar and make it into a psuedo hardtop, maybe reshape the rear window and C pillar a bit.

#11 johnbuzzed

johnbuzzed

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,245 posts
  • Full Name:John "the Buzzard" Buzzerio

Posted 12 October 2012 - 09:54 AM

Are the Lindberg and AMT/Ertl both equipped with 455s? I'm not familiar... Either way, if you want to go a little "modern", you could modify a big four-barrel to look like a throttle body and add fuel injector lines to the intake runners.

#12 george 53

george 53

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,858 posts
  • Full Name:George53

Posted 12 October 2012 - 09:56 AM

The so called Olds engine is actually a Cadillac engine, the Northstar. It is a Cadillac designed engine, NOT an Olds, even though Cadillac shared it for the last few years of Oldsmoblie production.

#13 Fat Brian

Fat Brian

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 934 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 10:01 AM

The so called Olds engine is actually a Cadillac engine, the Northstar. It is a Cadillac designed engine, NOT an Olds, even though Cadillac shared it for the last few years of Oldsmoblie production.

I was wondering that, Olds and Cadillac kind of joint developed the 4.0 quad cam motor that was in the Aurora and later used in Indy racing. Cadillac took it and punched it out to 4.6 liter for the Northstar series. That engine has a lot of design ideas from the Lotus derived motor in the first ZR-1 Corvettes.

#14 tabsscale1

tabsscale1

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts
  • Full Name:Todd Buckles

Posted 12 October 2012 - 08:15 PM

You could drop a resin 572 Chevy in. VCG resins makes some of those with a fuel injection system

#15 dimebolt

dimebolt

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,171 posts
  • Full Name:Corey M. Jackson

Posted 12 October 2012 - 08:17 PM

Good looking concept.
Great idea.
Corey

#16 horsepower

horsepower

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 916 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 09:40 PM

How about one of the Old's engines from one of the Pro Stock kits, you could fab a single four intake for it, & change to a TH 400, or fab up your own EFI unit for it, that would be a little different direction than most would think of. (guess it just takes a deranged mind to think of that much horsepower in that "little coupe").

#17 ronr

ronr

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts
  • Full Name:Ron "Pops" Royston

Posted 12 October 2012 - 10:43 PM

What about the engine from the AMT`66 442 kit?

#18 Fat Brian

Fat Brian

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 934 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 05:23 PM

I added the frenched headlight bezels tonight, I will putty them up and smooth them out later. I made the slightly angled, I wanted to see how it looks and if it doesn't work I can always sand them flat.

Posted Image

#19 dimebolt

dimebolt

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,171 posts
  • Full Name:Corey M. Jackson

Posted 14 October 2012 - 05:27 PM

Lookin good Brian.
Corey

#20 tooltas