#21 Dominik

Dominik

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,588 posts
  • Full Name:Dominik Weitzer

Posted 24 February 2013 - 05:34 AM

Cool looking body! Never saw one before. Your work looks good so far. Keep on modeling ;)

Edited by Dominik, 24 February 2013 - 05:36 AM.

#22 jbwelda

jbwelda

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,423 posts
  • Full Name:William Just

Posted 15 March 2013 - 05:38 PM

a little progress to report: chassis/floorpan is about done, currently making a new rear package shelf for the rear window but all the rear suspension is in place (lowered about 3 or 4 scale inches) and the motor and associated front suspension in place as well (lowering as yet to be done but will probably get a little sloppy). decided to keep the gawdawful purple because it sort of grew on me so i am using it as the interior 2nd tone as well. i attempted a quick cleanup of the headliner before hitting it with color, but the result is pretty sketchy as you can see from the photo so i think i will get in there with some filler and reshoot before moving on to the exterior color coats. slowly moving forward...

chassisandbody.jpg

engine sitting in compartment, wiring still to be fiddled with a little and missing weber carbs and some other stuff that goes on after body has been mounted:

nicemotorwithbodyinback.jpg

a shot of the proceeds showing the non detail painted dashboard pieces:

chassiswithpassseatpose.jpg

finally a shot at the challenging headliner situation, even with the squinty windows i dont think i can let that pass...but i am not sure i can do a whole lot better either...wait, i know i cannot mess it up any worse that that...

headlinerpaintedfromrea.jpg

alright and thanks for looking!

#23 sports850

sports850

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts
  • Full Name:Ian White

Posted 16 March 2013 - 01:23 AM

That's looking great , top job so far .

#24 jbwelda

jbwelda

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,423 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 07:12 PM

well its been awhile, but the paint was laid on, Tamiya mica red with Tamiya clear red overcoat, then a couple coats of clear. needs a coat or two more clear and then a good polishing session, but I knew from trial fitting there were going to be some fitting issues between the chassis/interior and the body. So I faced it like a man, and set it on a shelf to ponder and get on with life. Then the other day, a good 3 months from last notice, I got tired of looking at it sit there and got serious about fitting the thing together.

turns out there were a litany of problems, beginning with the rear seat being too wide at its widest point, so that had to be addressed, along with a corresponding ridge on the inside of the body (on one side only) that needed to be ground down a bit.

4e57.jpg

1x8g.jpg

after that was clearanced the dashboard was the next thing to cause interference. Actually it was more like the inside contour of the body on the left (passenger) side, up under the windshield. so again got the dremel going and a bit of therapy in that area started to allieviate the situation. Just a little more...hey whats with this dark stuff in the light colored resin? ah that is the paint job...from the underside!

arrrggggghhhhh:

r247.jpg

32rd.jpg

ok so as you can see above, I stuffed a little red putty in it and will worry about it later because the way its going this body shell is liable to see more paint sessions.

to gain a little more clearance in that passenger side dash area I also thinned the side of the dashboard as much as I could without totally obliterating it. I would rather have not touched the dashboard at this point but all that mess you see will be hidden and the contour of the dashboard still looks good tucked up under the windscreen opening. with these mods it fits in nicely now, level and even across the windscreen bottom, although fitting glass is going to be tricky...

bn3x.jpg

meanwhile I managed to get the chassis in where I wanted it, or at least if I held it in place with pretty-firm-for-a-resin-body grip I could get the chassis up in the body to where the floorboards were just barely visible from the side. excuse my photos at this stage, I was taking them with one hand, no flash, while holding the model together with the other hand!

here it is with the wheels set in place just to get some idea of ride height, I had lowered the rear at least an eighth inch and the front suspension arms have been cut off for final positioning when the chassis and body are together. but you can see the floorboards barely poke out from under the body which is how I want it. by the way don't mind the color of the body, it is way deeper red than these photos show, not at all this pink shade that is coming out in them.

98lh.jpg

continued

Edited by jbwelda, 21 September 2013 - 07:39 PM.

#25 jbwelda

jbwelda

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,423 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 07:33 PM

as with many of my projects, I find myself in a situation where I wish I could have forseen the issues that would be facing me later in the build and for all the test fitting in the world I always seem to face some unexpected challenges late in the build. here we have a classic: body finally mated to chassis and all is looking possible in this world when I notice something I had not before: kind of looks like the valve cover is going to interfere with the hood. that actually stands to reason when I think about it as the profile of this hood is way lower in the front than the stock one and the valve cover sticks way up and probably determined the height of the front of the hood on the original body.

lets look:

1c0q.jpg

hmmm not looking good at all. a test fitting of the hood (bonnet) confirms my fears:

ph5e.jpg

the question is, what to do about it? maybe I can compromise with how deep the chassis fits up into the body, and let the floorboards be a little more visible?

hood fits like this:

o7cv.jpg

but chassis fits like this:

4li8.jpg

not a good look. ah the challenges of resin body conversions!

what I think I will do is pry that valve cover off and do a little sectioning to it and I may still have to compromise on how the floorboards look from outside the body...

and I also notice no way are these side panels going to fit in the body with the floorboards tucked up inside there, so I need to trim maybe 2 - 3mm from the bottom:

nt11.jpg

I don't know if I will stay on task on this one or at least not in the next couple weeks as I am going to Bonneville salt flats for a week here soon, but will update again when some more material progress is made. thanks again for looking!

#26 crazyrichard

crazyrichard

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,648 posts
  • Full Name:richard gelens

Posted 21 September 2013 - 09:51 PM

still looking awsome !! too bad of the issues .but i'm sure you will work it out :)

. btw dont mean this badly i would have loved to see this in britisch racing green :) , not stating this paint looks bad but would have been cool also :)

#27 Modelmartin

Modelmartin

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,739 posts
  • Full Name:Martin, Andrew O.

Posted 22 September 2013 - 01:39 AM

: kind of looks like the valve cover is going to interfere with the hood. that actually stands to reason when I think about it as the profile of this hood is way lower in the front than the stock one and the valve cover sticks way up and probably determined the height of the front of the hood on the original body.

I noticed that issue when I was modifying the chassis. The car is actually sectioned in addition to being chopped! I just sectioned the engine block! I had to do the same thing with the Minisprint body too. Maybe you can grind the head down AND the bottom of the valve cover? How about a hood scoop? :o

Are you interested in some vac-form windows for this car? I made up epoxy putty forms and can run a pair off for you if you can PM me your address.

#28 jbwelda

jbwelda

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,423 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 07:00 AM

so martin, you have built this before? care to share some pics of in progress or completed? please post them to this thread if  you can, I would like to see what you did.

yeah section the engine block...if only I knew! I might have to bust the motor out of the chassis and get drastic because I am not sure if I can cut that valve cover down enough. if I have to do the motor over I might just start with a fresh one.

hood scoop also crossed my mind, maybe maybe...

vac formed windows? you bet your bippy I could use some! especially the windshield, I was unsure what I was going to do there aside from the kit one...PM sent and many thanks for offering!

brit racing green yes the thought crossed my mind but all I seem to have been doing lately is BRG so I wanted something different and something more flash plus I had some Tamiya mica red and clear red on hand so there you have it.

thanks for looking and all comments welcomed!

#29 Tom Geiger

Tom Geiger

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,532 posts
  • Full Name:Tom Geiger

Posted 22 September 2013 - 09:00 AM

Very nice work!  I also have an unbuilt Traveler. I should look to get that one on the shelf.  Here's a few pictures of finished models that I saw at Toledo back in 2002.

toledo322s-vi.jpg

toledo323s-vi.jpg

toledo423s-vi.jpg

I don't know who built them.

Edited by Tom Geiger, 22 September 2013 - 09:02 AM.

#30 jbwelda

jbwelda

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,423 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 12:34 PM

thanks for the pics Tom, that looks like a nice job on the broadspeed, I wonder if the guy from scalekraft himself built those? I also have the traveler body, or maybe its the morris instead of the Austin (or vice versa).

photo reminds me that I need to source some taillights too...

meanwhile I dug out the stock valve cover and chopped off the filler cap and further lowered its profile so I am going to see if that fits a little better later on today after the interior touchup dries a bit more. I really like the look of the finned high-lift cover but in this case maybe the less flashy stock one will look appropriate (and more importantly, fit better).

if not, I am thinking I am down to only a couple options: make the valve cover removable and only put it on with the hood open, just glue the hood shut and forget about the engine detail, or cut a hole in the hood and cover it with a scoop. that last one is pretty drastic though because it means the hood will have to be reshot with paint and I took pains to get a nice even color match between the body and the hood, which will be out the window if I reshoot the hood. also not sure a hood scoop will look good on the car. but at this point sectioning the motor is out of the question without destroying the chassis because its glued in there pretty well and surrounded with under hood stuff. perhaps if I need just a tiny bit more clearance with the stock valve cover I can grind down the block just a bit (cause there aint much there to grind on without getting down into motor detail) combined with relieving the underside of the hood a bit.

at any rate later this evening I will fit the chassis under the body and see how it stands at that point.

thanks again for all comment etc!

#31 Modelmartin

Modelmartin

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,739 posts
  • Full Name:Martin, Andrew O.

Posted 22 September 2013 - 04:32 PM

Those were my models at Toledo! Guido is in Capetown, South Africa and is completely out of model cars at this point. Here are some pics of my built models anyway

2minis3-vi.jpg

Broadspeed and the Countryman wagon.

sprint1-vi.jpg

The Minisprint - chopped and sectioned!

3minis-vi.jpg

All three resin conversions together.

My next one will be the pickup. I have all of Guido's conversions and hope to finish them all, too! After this is the panel, the Riley Elf, and the smooth side wagon. I didn't get the Clubman. It is too ugly for me!

Edited by Modelmartin, 22 September 2013 - 04:34 PM.

#32 jbwelda

jbwelda

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,423 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 05:09 PM

i am kicking myself daily for not buying more of his works before his accident. I picked up this broadspeed, a countryman or traveler, I forget which badge it is, a Porsche abarth and a couple others that I forget at the moment. I wish I had bought one of each he made but unfortunately I wasn't made of money (that part hasn't changed btw) and communication by written letter was kinda tedious.

thanks for those pics martin, coincidence wasn't it!

#33 alan barton

alan barton

MCM Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 06:17 PM

Hi there, jbwelda, 

I have been following this thread and am really enjoyingthe process you are going through.   For my money, I would definitely go with the removable valve cover option.  I had something similar happen recently when I scratchbuilt a late model dirt track car and when everything finally went together, the aircleaner hole in the hood was about 3/8 forward of the carb.  I just leave the aircleaner perched in the hood hole and when I need to display it with the hood off the aircleaner goes back on the carb.  I am finding that as my models get increasingly complex then these sort of issues become increasingly common!

By the way, would you be the kind gentleman who once sent a Scalextric1/32  Mini clubman body to a guy in Australia? - if so that guy is me.  I did finish the project and always felt guilty that I had lost your contact details and couldn't send you a picture of it.  Let me know if you are that person and I will send a pic.

Cheers

Alan

#34 Tom Geiger

Tom Geiger

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,532 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 03:21 AM

Those were my models at Toledo!

That's too cool Andy!  When the subject came up, I remembered those builds from Toledo that far back and went through my albums to find them.  I also remember someone did have a built Riley Elf but couldn't find the photo.

#35 John Goschke

John Goschke

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 938 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 03:42 AM

Very interesting project! Nice detail work. Hope you can get the fit issues resolved!

#36 jbwelda

jbwelda

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,423 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 07:51 PM

well this one has bubbled to the top of my workbench so time for a little update for any still interested!

body is getting trimmed with BMF, not going at all bad, but still have to do the thin chrome trim on lower body and along wheel well tops. have gotten the rear bumper and window trim all done and looks not too bad at all. paint still needs another rubbing and perhaps a final clear coat after the BMF...we shall see.

oa99.jpg

h1xs.jpg

my problem though is I keep finding "gotcha"s and here is an example: the inner door panels that are supposed to attach to the insides of the body before it is attached to the chassis/interior, have to clear the bar that holds the front of the seats up off the floor. that's because the door panels have already been sectioned to allow the sectioned body to fit down on the chassis with them in place. normally the bulged out part of the door panel are above that bar, as you can see here in out-of-box vs. sectioned and notched panels:

mn8g.jpg

so heres the problem in a picture says a thousand words:

k98r.jpg

and heres a solution. you can't see any of this with the body on so little nicks and scratches don't really matter:

522y.jpg

#37 Tom Geiger

Tom Geiger

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,532 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 07:54 PM

Cool!  I have one of his Mini Travelers that I need to get to one day!

#38 jbwelda

jbwelda

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,423 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 08:09 PM

what I really need right now are some taillights, or at least a good clear photo of the rear of a 1:1...any suggestions gratefully accepted.

and of course comments or criticisms are welcome!

jb

#39 Roadkill2525

Roadkill2525

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,047 posts
  • Full Name:You know what it is.

Posted 09 January 2014 - 08:23 PM

broadspeed-gt-rear-view.jpg

#40 jbwelda

jbwelda

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,423 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 08:30 PM

hey thanks, I wonder if that is the only style they came with. usually applications like that lights from some other car are used...I wonder if those are from something else like maybe a Hillman wagon?

thanks again mike

jb