gtx6970

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,823 posts
  • Full Name:Bill Allphin

Posted 21 October 2012 - 05:53 AM

I use them from time to time .

but like mentioned I can usually buy local for about the same price once shipping is added in to the equation

#22 mikemodeler

mikemodeler

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,864 posts
  • Full Name:Classified

Posted 21 October 2012 - 01:35 PM

I took a look at their prices on some random parts, just out of curiosity. Nothing out of the ordinary, just standard replacement parts for a reasonably late model truck. While they were lower on shocks for this particular vehicle, O'Reilly beat them on everyting else, in some cases by a $30 margin. Plus the parts were all listed as in stock. That was even regular walk in customer pricing, with my Jobber discount, Rock Auto can't touch any of the local parts stores I go to.

That is the big difference. If you already have an account with a local parts store, chances are you are getting a better deal than what you can on the internet. Places like Rock Auto have a single location and deal strictly via the internet and therefore can price against other online prices. All of the major parts retailers (NAPA, Auto Zone, Advance, O'Reilly) have an online price, a walk in price and a shop price. Usually the retailers will price match legit prices, so don't be afraid to ask.

Like our hobby, the auto parts business has seen the internet as a tool and a weapon and the smart players have figured out how to use social media and the internet to their advantage.

Just remember two important things:

1. Buyer beware
2. You get what you pay for.

#23 blubaja

blubaja

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 438 posts
  • Full Name:Frank Xavier

Posted 21 October 2012 - 04:29 PM

Been seeing alot more packages coming from them at my job. And they have that cool Citroen van in their commercials lol