Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 Revell '90 Mustang LX 5.0 2'n1 Special Edition

Casey

NOW that the cat is out of the bag, I can say something. The LX Coupe is an SSP/Stock 1990-93 version. The 10-holes were stock for 1990, and in 1991 they were stitched out for the Ponys on 5.0LX equipped cars EXCEPT SSPs, which still carried the 10-holes until the end of FOX production (1993). This is the first version and will be available in first quarter/early second quarter 2013 (Ed stated somewhere mid-late April) and will be followed up by the second release that will be a giggle-gas guzzling 2-n-1 stock/drag car. Revell arrived very late to the party yesterday (3:30pm, and the vendor area closed at 4:30) and was barely set up by the time the public was run out of the swap area. I spent every second I had overlooking the LX unveiling and (as a FOX owner) must say I am EXTREMELY happy with the LX5.0.

The Cuda was also very well rendered, with the option of the Shaker or Pitchfork hood, modern sized rubber/rim and stock Rallyes, along with other goodies in the box. No 'Go-Wing' as the box top car suggests, as the car pictured is a real car versus build-up. Finally, we have an E-body with correct proportions and scale fidelity.

Needless to say there was a well-deserved feeding frenzy at Revells table and a huge buzz throughout the NNL.

Be sure to thank Ed and his team for all of the exciting releases coming in 2013. They are doing an excellent job with the new kits and I for one will continue to support their effort with my wallet (12 of the LX, at least 2 of the Cuda, two of the 49 Merc Woody!).

I was wondering if/when you were going to chime in. You must be tickled pink to see this kit finally be announced. ^_^

He's not the only one. As I type this I am looking out my back window at a rear 3/4 view of my 1:1 '88 Mustang Coupe and to say I'm excited is an understatement. The great thing about this new kit being 1:25 is that there's a fistfull of awesome donors out there to modify this car. Like the Vortech super charged engine from Revell's '98 Saleen Mustang. The nicely done FMS GT40 intake found in Revells '32 Ford Speedwagon street rod. The Cobra intake from AMT's '95 Cobra Mustang. Mod-motor swaps. Not to mention all the wheels from the '94 and newer Mustang kits. Everything the 1:1 guys ar doing we can now do! The possibilities are endless!

Now I gotta get on Ebay and step up for a Tamiya '95 Cobra R kit so I can harvest the wheels for a replica of my own car.

Well there's 5 CHP versions alone, NC had both slicktops and full bars. Missouri had 'em in several colors...Can't forget those ominous black cars the Postal Inspectors & USFWS managed to sneak past the GAO.

Add to that list AZ DPS used the Stang as well, I dont recall if they had slick tops, need to look into that

Look at the at the box art of the Mustang, and the front bumper, and the plate that is there, its not a US plate

Edited by martinfan5

Here's part 2 ....

152-vi.jpg

153-vi.jpg

154-vi.jpg

155-vi.jpg

I'm very excited to get my hand on this kit .... probably going to do one as a CHP slicktop first.

Thanks for all the nice comments on my report. If you want to check out the full Toledo NNL photo album including the model display tables just follow the link below.

-Steve

http://public.fotki.com/SteveG26/toledo-nnl-nationals--33/

Edited by SteveG

Add to that list AZ DPS used the Stang as well, I dont recall if they had slick tops, need Oo to look into

I'd really have to go digging into some sources, but I'm pretty sure all if AZDPS Mustangs were equipped with overheads...ironically the lightbar that Revell seems to most be errr emulating in this kit (Code 3 Force 4LP). The handful (and I mean count them on one hand) CHP cars that were not slicktops had Federal Signal Vision bars (the multi-pod lighbar that comes in the OHSP version of the Lindberg Crown Vic kit). The kit's lights would also be correct for Missouri & Kansas as well. Florida had Jetsonics (available in the various issues if AMT's Taurus "Police" kit, RoboCop, Rescue 911, etc). Most other states that had overhead lights used some form if the Whelen Edge strobe bar (usually with the bar-mounted speaker) like NY, SC, NC, GA.

Edited by niteowl7710

I'd really have to go digging into some sources, but I'm pretty sure all if AZDPS Mustangs were equipped with overheads...ironically the lightbar that Revell seems to most be errr emulating in this kit (Code 3 Force 4LP). The handful (and I mean count them on one hand) CHP cars that were not slicktops had Federal Signal Vision bars (the multi-pod lighbar that comes in the OHSP version of the Lindberg Crown Vic kit). The kit's lights would also be correct for Missouri & Kansas as well. Florida had Jetsonics (available in the various issues if AMT's Taurus "Police" kit, RoboCop, Rescue 911, etc). Most other states that had overhead lights used some form if the Whelen Edge strobe bar (usually with the bar-mounted speaker) like NY, SC, NC, GA.

Dont forget Texas DPS, they had both slick top and bar cars, they used both jetsonic and force 4lp bar, AZDPS did use some jetsonic bars as well, I think you are right, I did a little bit of digging, and can not find any slicktops, I did see some, but they are restored , so I am not going to by that. I think Danno might know a little bit more

CHeck out this link James
http://www.sspmustan...40th_Friday.htm

I like the idea of the 71 Ford p/u and the Stang just curious about the Stang, does this share some tooling with some of the early Revell Fox Mustangs?

No, its' an all new 1/25th scale tooling even down to the tires per the folks from Revell that were at the NNL. Correct me if I'm wrong but weren't all the prior Revell Monogram Fox body 'Stangs 1/24th scale ? Regardless, 1/25th was the best way to go with a new tool .... that's my 2 cents worth.

I believe that all previous R/M Fox Mustangs are 1/24th scale and all 1/25th scale versions have been the lackluster AMT/MPC versions.

The City of Gastonia NC had one of these black and white, phone dial wheels, slick top, it had the City of Gastonia logo on the doors and said "TRAFFIC ENFORCEMENT" right above it.

Here is a picture of it just before the police auction

retiredGastoniaNC-vi.jpg

Edited by Fat Brian

It requires a lot more than that to change an LX over to a GT. There's way too many differences between the LX and GT for anyone to put out a kit that could build either one. It's something that just isn't feasible. The nose piece, rear bumper (no, you can't just add cladding to the LX bumper), tail lights, body molding, wheels and tail pipes are all different between the two. Then you have the differences between the interiors.

I didn't realize there were that many differences. Well, I suppose you could do a 2-in-1, but it would take a fair number of extra parts.

I still wouldn't be shocked to see something come down the pike, though.

Charlie Larkin

Okay- before ANYONE jumps to the wrong conclusions: I am VERY happy with the Mustang kit, and look very forward to getting my hands on one.

Did everyone hear that? It looks like an awesome kit that we've needed for a long time, now.

This post is onlyfor reference by those who want to make things as accurate as possible.

I do, however, see one VERY EASILY REMEDIED inaccuracy. By '92, the LX Mustangs were using the five spoke 16" wheels. At least on cars sold to the public. Maybe the ten hole wheels were still being used on Police cars, and if so- this post applies only to public versions. I believe that the wheelwells were slightly enlarged on the years that had the 16" wheels, but the difference is impossible to see in 1:1, let alone 1:25.

Anyway- there are two easy remedies, if you want to go completely accurate. Source some 5 spoke wheels from an after market source or another kit, or build it as a 1987-89 LX by changing out the steering wheel for a non-airbag type.

Not bashing the kit, just pointing out an inaccuracy for anyone who wants to correct it. And the correction is easier than wiring the engine. Heck- it allows you the chance to build it as any year from 87-93 with minimal changes.

A heckuva nice addition to the line, Revell.

That Mustang looks awesome.

I cant believe Revell is really doing it.

Im all over buying a few of those.

Hopefully a hatchback version will come later.

No insider info here.....but all model companies today will only tool new kits IF there are options down the road for 'other versions'.

With this Mustang they are open to MANY versions down the road if this one sells well enough. Coupe, conv and hatchback for a number of different years and trim levels.

To quote Tom Petty 'The future is wide open'

Unfortunately, i won't buy a single example of this kit..... No, i will have to buy a complete crate of them!!!! :-P

I'm so much ecxited to finally have possibilty to build a LX version, i like it just the way it has been presented at the show.

And i'm very happy with the police version.

Even the wheels are a nice addition, the first time we'll have them in kit form!!

THANK'S A LOT REVELL, KEEP IT ON!!!