1st WIP - Topkick: Update 05/28/13 She's Complete
Posted 13 February 2013 - 08:31 PM
Posted 12 March 2013 - 05:50 PM
Just a quick update to let everyone know I’m still working on this build. Both my wip’s have had set backs. While waiting on parts that went into the purple pond, some work was done on the Topkick and the fabbing on the ski boat started.
I spent a couple of hours with a dremel abrasive wheel and file to open up the grille. A little wet sanding and it will be ready for paint.
About the only thing that has gone right with the interior is the dash. A web photo of a Silverado gauge cluster was used to make a decal for the dash. Once in place it was coated in Micro Krystal Klear. Tamiya gloss aluminum was used on the knobs and buttons to duplicate the use of aftermarket knob/button covers. A green wash was used on the around the radio buttons and display.
After researching custom speed/ski boats on the web I decided to do something a little different. With some parts left over from a couple Revell Concept Camaro kits I decided to put them to use. I’m using the dash and taillight surrounds to add a unique look to my speed boat. I raised the front deck with sheet styrene and left a groove at the leading edge of the dash so a modified windshield can be slipped into place after the hull is painted.
The rear transom has to be raised to fit the resin jet drive, so the taillight surrounds are being used as fillers. The stern of the boat will be shaped around the taillights.
The seats are resin Recarro’s that were cut down to just above the side bolsters and super glued together. The sides are filled in with sheet styrene and putty.
The engine is from Revell’s Corvette C5-R kit with engine mounts made from sheet and rod styrene.
Edited by dougp, 22 March 2013 - 05:19 PM.
Posted 13 March 2013 - 07:13 AM
Looking great so far...I cant wait to see this finished off!....no pressure or anything!
Posted 13 March 2013 - 07:44 AM
Love the Speed Boat!...maybe somesort of mettalic blue with either white or silver stripes?
Posted 22 March 2013 - 05:10 PM
Not much to report, but the interior is complete and the body is ready for paint.
Here is the completed interior. I used a seat belt p/e kit from scale dreams with channel styrene for the seatbelt seat hangers. I notched the B pillar panel for the front seat belt retractor slots and cut slots in the rear bulkhead for the back seat belt reatractor slots.
The interior is Tamiya matt black with a flat black and semi gloss black wash. The rubber floor covering was sprayed with Tamiya semi gloss black and the gauge panel was a homemade decal.
Thanks for looking.
Posted 06 April 2013 - 04:01 PM
Well its been slow going. Finally got the color on the cab and bed. The hood and tailgate are in the spray booth now. Next a coat of clear before trying to wash the panel lines before the final coats of clear and polishing.
I used Testors One Coat Laquers with the base color being Diamond Dust with Icy Blue followed by DeJa Blue.
Thanks for looking...
Edited by dougp, 06 April 2013 - 09:48 PM.
Posted 06 April 2013 - 08:47 PM
WOW!!! What an awesome job! I have appreciated all of the fine work you have done on this project, but that color just POPS! I can't wait to see the next shots!
Posted 07 April 2013 - 01:02 AM
I like your color scene choice, yessss sir! Good paint job!
Posted 07 April 2013 - 12:09 PM
Thanks for the great comments. My original paint scheme just didn't work out. The original was going to white above the belt line with diamond dust smoked with burnt styrene and a clear orange cover coat below the belt line. Colors didn't turn out as expected, so it was back to the drawing board. I needed something that would pop and also look great on the speed boat.
Posted 07 April 2013 - 12:34 PM
love the paint job, Doug. Your masking edges look exceptionally clean too.
Posted 11 May 2013 - 05:31 PM
Just a little update. I had a coat of clear run on me, so I had to rework the driver’s side. Thank the Lord I was able to sand it out and reshoot. Otherwise it would have gone in the purple pond which would have meant redoing all the body work. If that had happened it probably would have ended up in the trash can after all the useable parts had been removed. The glass and interior tub are installed. The rear glass was tinted with Tamiya smoke and front cowling and wipers were painted in matt and semi-gloss black.
The grille is painted and installed. The GMC logo was painted with Tamiya chrome with a coat of clear red over it. I’m in the process of reworking the headlights and turn signals. They were originally used with led lighting and are just clear lenses with no fluting detail. I think I have a solution which I show in the next update.
Thanks for looking.