#21 Patrick2005

Patrick2005

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts
  • Full Name:Patrick Myers

Posted 09 November 2012 - 04:29 AM

If you ever decide to make and sell those valve covers, PLEASE let me know!!!

#22 Custom Mike

Custom Mike

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,408 posts
  • Full Name:Mike

Posted 11 November 2012 - 12:26 PM

Great work so far Doug, I did one of these years ago. I gave up on the wing being on the quarters and moved it to the trunk, I also shortened it so it was about the height of the roof, to me it just looked better that way. I love the engine work so far too, those valve covers and tranny pan look great!

Edited by Custom Mike, 13 March 2013 - 02:21 PM.

#23 dougp

dougp

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts
  • Full Name:Doug Pickett

Posted 10 December 2012 - 10:13 PM

Thanks for the comments. 

If you ever decide to make and sell those valve covers, PLEASE let me know!!!

If you pm your email I will send you the word file for printing the decals. You just get a set of valve covers and sand them smooth, paint, sand color off the tops and add decals and clear coat. The breathers/filler caps will be your choice.

Great work so far Doug, I did one of these years ago. I gave up on the wing being on the fenders and moved it to the trunk, I also shortened it so it was about the height of the roof, to me it just looked better that way. I love the engine work so far too, those valve covers and tranny pan look great!

Mounting the wing worked out pretty well. I flattened the fender ridges until they matched up with the wing struts. I not happy with the height and haven't decided how i'm going to modify it.

#24 dougp

dougp

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 10:22 PM

Update 12/10/12

Well it has been a while since I’ve updated the Daytona. I’ve been busy on the Topkick WIP, but decided to give it a rest to work on the Daytona. I like doing modern upgrades to older cars and wanted to do something different on the Daytona. I built a modern 440 for it so it needed a modern suspension. After a couple hours of research on the web I found the Alterkation suspension upgrades for Mopars. It was a challenge working with such small pieces but after several attempts I think I finally got something close.

The 1:1

LvlIIRearDtl02a.jpg

The kit differential appeared wimpy so I swapped it out for one in the parts box. Haven’t decided whether to fin the cover or try and reinforce like the one in the 1:1. The Daytona's new rear suspension.

DSCN1569.jpg

I used styrene channel and strip to make the trailing arms, axle, coilover and panhard bar mounts. Rod and tube styrene was used for the coilover shocks, different bolt attachments (to be shortened later) and panhard bar.

DSCN1572.jpg

The shocks will be painted silver and red clear then wrapped with red wire.

DSCN1529.jpg

Still need to add the stabilizer bar, add a reinforcement cross member for the coilovers and clean up and shape/shorten the parts. Next I am going to attempt replicating Alterkation’s K frame coil over replacement for the front suspension. I've been a little hesitant about cutting out the K frame but I’ll never get it done unless I try. Anyone got an AMT 71 Charger in case I screw it up  :unsure:

Thanks for looking...

#25 The Styrene Chemist

The Styrene Chemist

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
  • Full Name:Thomas Vermeulen

Posted 10 December 2012 - 10:28 PM

nice work on that engine!

lovin'it.

#26 Geno

Geno

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 270 posts
  • Full Name:Gene Mills

Posted 11 December 2012 - 01:52 AM

Looking great Doug, I really dig these ol' Mopars. B)

#27 caine440

caine440

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,333 posts
  • Full Name:Roger

Posted 11 December 2012 - 02:44 AM

Great work!

Love this project!

#28 dougp

dougp

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 04:25 PM

Update 12/29/12

Just a quick update. Got the rear sway bar built and installed. It’s the only rear suspension component that’s stationary, otherwise the rear suspension is fully functional. With the sway bar being stationary I was able to set the rear ride height. Sorry I forgot to take pics during the mock up.

The scratch built Alerkation K frame coil over replacement front suspension went smoother than expected. I used front end components from an AMT 32 Phantom Vicki, parts box pieces and scratch built support frame. The kit frame shock towers where cut out of the frame and the phantom shock tower/control arm supports where weld into the stock frame. Rod and square styrene were used to build the new cross member and frame supports.

DSCN1581.jpg

Here the front end is assembled using white glue. The coil overs, tie rod ends and sway bar end links still need to be built. The spindles still need a little more work for attaching the tie rod ends. I’m really happy with how it turned out. The ride height worked out perfectly, sorry forgot to take pics while I had it mocked up.

DSCN1603.jpg

I’ve started on the interior now that most of the suspension work is complete. The kit dash and engine came equipped with A/C. My build doesn’t have A/C so I have to fill in the A/C vents on the dashboard. I’ve also drilled out the instrument bezels for placement of homemade speedo, tach and gauges. I’m not happy with the pedal placement and will rework those too.

DSCN1601.jpg

Thanks for looking...

#29 LURCH_1961

LURCH_1961

MCM Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Full Name:DANIEL R VERSLUIS Sr.

Posted 08 January 2013 - 08:41 AM

Nice work.To bad NASCAR killed the winged cars

#30 Mr mopar

Mr mopar

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 902 posts
  • Full Name:Doug Spencer

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:17 AM

Love wing cars.......... Nice start.

#31 dougp

dougp

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 10:09 PM

Update 02/12/13

I finally got the chassis done. I was trying to copy the Alerkation K frame upgrade and rear suspension components. I ended up with a hybrid of their different versions. It was tedious going with the use of ten big thumbs to build with, but I’m happy with the results. Here is the bare chassis detailed with the fuel/brake lines and rear sway bar.

DSCN1650_zps10e67b49.jpg

Rear suspension components in place.

DSCN1679_zps3312cbf4.jpg

DSCN1684_zps6a612aa6.jpg

Front suspension components in place.

DSCN1680_zpsb554ae69.jpg

DSCN1682_zps4c26b39d.jpg

Still working on the body. Had a set back on the body work. I dropped it and the seam between the nose cone and the right front fender cracked. Now I can seem to get it as smooth as the first time but I guess patience will prevail. The interior is started and should be done by the next update. Thanks for looking and enjoy.

#32 vintagedragfan

vintagedragfan

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,617 posts
  • Full Name:Bill Davis

Posted 12 February 2013 - 02:06 AM

looks fabulous Doug, very nice work on every thing!

Edited by vintagedragfan, 09 April 2013 - 01:03 AM.

#33 dougp

dougp

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 05:06 PM

Update 03/12/13

Just a quick update to let everyone know I haven’t given up on my build. Both my wip’s have had set backs with different parts ending up in the purple pond. Just wish the purple stuff didn’t clean off the body filler and putty as well as the paint. I got the engine mounted on the chassis and the a new exhaust system built. I used exhaust parts from the Daytona and Superbird kits to build this one. I added a cross over pipe and dumped the exhaust in front of the rear axle.

DSCN1689_zpsb21f673b.jpg

I finished the exhaust in Tamiya bare metal steel and weathered the entire system with a thinned Testors rust enamel wash.

DSCN1740_zpse3f0b267.jpg

Exhaust system set temporarily in place. I will glue into place after the body is in place.

DSCN1741_zps017466aa.jpg

Thanks for looking.

#34 Custom Mike

Custom Mike

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,408 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 02:25 PM

Doug, even with your ten big thumbs, it looks great! The chassis is gorgeous, and good luck on the repairs to the nose cone, I know those kinds of headaches when it comes to body work all too well! Keep at it, it'll finally see things your way!

#35 TurboKitty

TurboKitty

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 458 posts
  • Full Name:Michelle Blanchard

Posted 14 March 2013 - 12:41 PM

Looking great so far, that color is gorgeous! I've got an old built up of the MPC '71 Superbird and I was thinking of building it with modern components as well, your Daytona makes me want to get started on it :)

#36 dougp

dougp

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 03:57 PM

Thanks for the comments and support guys. I think I've finally got it together on the nose cone. The passenger side cone has been given me fits along with one side of the trunk lid where I used styrene rod to fill the original deck spoiler holes, but I think I finally got it beat. Got the final wet sand on the primer done last night and I'm just waiting to make sure it's completely dry before laying the silver base coat. The interior is almost done and I will post pics soon.

#37 dougp

dougp

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 03:56 PM

Update 04/08/13

Well the interior is finally done. I replaced the kit bench seat with the buckets from a 71 Plymouth GTX. I added seat belts front and rear, and the shifter is a Calnaga Castings piece: http://www.calnaga.com/index.html . I used embossing powder for the carpet painted with Tamiya matt black. The rest of the interior was painted in a combination of Tamiya mat black, semi gloss black, black and gloss aluminum. The seat/door inserts were brushed with a flat black wash. The gauges, SRT and Super Bee decals are homemade. Door handles and window cranks were bmf .

DSCN1743_zpsdf7ce4c9.jpg

DSCN1744_zps387a8662.jpg

DSCN1762_zps5f1e7cdb.jpg

DSCN1760_zpse0e25bf2.jpg

DSCN1758_zps4bc0bafe.jpg

Finally solved my issues on the front nose cone and the body is in paint. Thanks for looking...

#38 Custom Mike

Custom Mike

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,408 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 05:18 PM

Great interior work, and I can't wait to see the results of the paint on the body!

#39 DumpyDan

DumpyDan

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 668 posts
  • Full Name:Dan Dankmeyer

Posted 09 April 2013 - 02:36 AM

I like it!  Good work!

#40 Chris guthro

Chris guthro

MCM Ohana