Model Cars Magazine Forum

Aoshima Toytoa FT-86(Sicon FRS)(wheel option) two kits, one review

martinfan5

Here is the Aoshima Toyota FT-86 kit review, I am going to cover the wheel option kit in this review as well since the only difference is the wheels and body molded in color. The Aoshima version lets you decided if you want to build the Japan version, Europe version, North American Scion FRS version. There are decals for all, plus LHD/RHD opitons

Now on the bread an butter of the kit, what you dont get is any type of engine detail at all, but Aoshima makes up for that by giving you and removable boot lid, you also adjustable ride height and off set camber options .

The Aoshima is completely tooled differently then the Tamyia version, there seems to be a lot more parts to the Aoshima kit vs the Tamiya kit. The Tamiya kit you can only have the option to build a show room stock version, the Aoshima kit gives options to build non show room stock, you have the option to leave out the cup holders, the dash is molded so you can leave out the radio(decal)

The wheel option kit does not have the stock wheels.

I am going to say both are kits (Aoshima ,Tamiya) are great kits, just one has engine detail and can only be built in one version, and the other no engine detail , but can be built three different ways. As for the price, both are about the same. Now for the pics

ft86a.jpg

ft86b.jpg

ft86c.jpg

ft86d.jpg

ft86e.jpg

ft86f.jpg

Edited by martinfan5

Mark, if you want the engine, I would get the Tamiya kit, you could add an engine to this one, but you would have to add the under hood detail that is missing as well. I had a plan to put a the Supra motor from the AMT Supra kit, but dont think its going to work.

On the custom wheel version, is the suspension camber angles in the kit messed up like the box art is? Or can be built with a correctly set alignment?

It can be built with normal camber settings or off set camber settings( box art)

Both the version have the adjustable ride height and camber settings , the only difference between the two kits are

The wheels

The Box art

The color of the parts molded in

so how hard to add the tamiya engine to the aoshima kit?

Here is a look at engine piece from the Tamiya version and the engine compartment from the Aoshima, you can what you would have to do to add the engine from the Tamiya version

ft1.jpg

well, as it stands, I plan on buying both kits. I work for Toyota, and plan to have the FRS as my next daily driver. I was actually also going to use the Aoshima kit to cast the LH drive parts and work them to fit the Tamiya kit.

You are in luck, as it will take very little work to make that happen, in the pic is the Aoshima LHD in the interior tub, as you can see, its fit is almost perfect, and a side by side pic of the dash's, on the left Aoshima/Tamiya right

ft2.jpg

ft3.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the great review. It will be the Aoshima version for me. I expect to see lots of these roller skates on the track at Road America next June. Looks like the insertion of the Tamiya motor will not be much of an issue. I plan on keeping an eye open at the local hobby shop's scratch and dent section for the Tamiya to complete the Aoshima kit.