Still watchin', Tom. Can't wait to see the next stage.
56 Chrysler Windsor
Posted 24 December 2012 - 10:25 PM
Posted 25 December 2012 - 10:04 AM
I received my 50 Caddy rear bumper. What a nice piece.
I began cutting some of the width out of it and I had to grind out some of the back of it to get it to tuck up to the body.
This is where it sits now. I haven't gotten back to finishing it.
So, after sanding down the second coat of putty and a quick coat of primer I got to work on the side trim.
I added a small strip of styrene to extend the bottom piece of trim with the idea of making the trim to replicate the molded in trim. Then I came to my senses and I think I will be making a mold of the lower trim from a second body to replicate this. I think it will be the easier way to go. So I will be removing that small strip of styrene near the taillight.
Next I took a strip of .020 X .020 and glued it in place for the upper trim piece.
Now to get the driver's side to match.
That is all I got done on my breaks last night. At least I'm making forward progress. Once I get the trim on I think I will be finishing the door panels OR chopping the top. Stay tuned.
Edited by Modlbldr, 25 December 2012 - 10:07 AM.
Posted 25 December 2012 - 11:42 AM
Looking good! I see that you cut the upper fender parts off of the Caddy bumper, so, what's your plan?
Posted 25 December 2012 - 12:05 PM
That was merely an accident. I thought that they were just extra resin from the mold. I cut them off before I realized they were supposed to be there. (Kicking myself now) I'll have to make new ones.
I'm really thinking strongly about ordering that 49 Caddy front grille and bumper from Modelhaus that you posted to use on my 51 Chevy Fleetline build.
Posted 25 December 2012 - 12:31 PM
I know I came in pretty late on this one (nice work, BTW!) but it might have been easier to have snared a JoHan/X-EL '56 Desoto for the rear quarters and the front valance, as Desoto used the same sheet metal in '56 as did Chrysler, with only minor differences in the grille opening, and of course different taillights and rear bumpers.
Just a thought.
Posted 25 December 2012 - 01:57 PM
I'll keep that in mind because I have another one that I want to build in the future that Troy Trepanier did of a similar car. I think it was a New Yorker. It had the same grille as the 55 300. I think it was called the Rose Bird.
Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:27 PM
Posted 12 January 2013 - 12:34 AM
Posted 13 January 2013 - 09:55 PM
I got the driver's side chrome on to match the passenger side. It's not as pretty but it'll work. I did some more work on fitting the rear bumper but it is fighting me. I had to build up the lower part of the taillights and that is in the first stage. Gonna take quite a bit of work there. To help save my sanity I worked on something simple. I began constructing the interior door panels. First I removed all of the molding. Then, using the only two photos I have of the interior I made my best guess.
Here is one of the photos from the mag article.
Here is what I have so far.
After I primer and paint these I will add the chrome accents using thin wire.
Now that I look closer at it the top piece
should go all the way to the top of the door. The upper chrome accent is in the center of the light blue section. Should be an easy fix by making another piece ti glue above it and the chrime accent will go over the dividing line. I'll fix thar in the morning.
Once I get the rear bumper and fenders ironed out I'll shoot some photos of that.
Thanks for tuning in.
Edited by Modlbldr, 13 January 2013 - 10:01 PM.
Posted 13 January 2013 - 10:20 PM
The top of the door panel needed filled in. It took about a minute to do with scrap. Once the glue dries thoroughly I can trim and sand it to shape. Then I can put the wire on it after paint. Got to do the passenger door now.
Edited by Modlbldr, 13 January 2013 - 10:22 PM.
Posted 05 February 2013 - 11:06 AM
Posted 05 February 2013 - 11:08 AM
Stand by for update.
Posted 05 February 2013 - 12:18 PM
Anywho- I have been plugging along on this and another project since not being able to upload pictures through PhotoBucket.
I got the door panels to the primer stage. Nothing exciting there. I added a styrene strip to the area behind the rear bumper to give the three pieces something to attach to. Fitting the rear bumper is proving to be a real chore. the wrap around portions don't fit the profile of the rear fenders so I had to make a relief cut on the bumper to tuck it in.Fits much better now.
I have done quite a bit of work shaping the lower rear fender and taillight areas and about have it down.
I got the driver's side trim on and havena bit of cleaning to do there.
I made some molds from black RTV of the molded in body chrome and now I need to mix up some 5 minute epoxy to make the chrome to extend on the rear fender extentions.
Lastly, I rounded the rear hood corners.
I've been looking for little things to do to avoid having to chop the top yet. I want that to be the last thing I do.
Now for a few photos of my newest project that I'm using as fill in.
Copying some ideas from this 1:1 for my 51 Fleetline.
Posted 07 February 2013 - 05:05 PM
Like you models but I really like the dog!!!!
My Elkhound (passed away)..... was always hanging around under the work bench......
Edited by Duntov, 07 February 2013 - 05:05 PM.
Posted 02 March 2013 - 06:20 PM
I have to get the bottoms of the rear fenders dialed in and make some taillights now. I also did some more sanding on the bottom rolled edge around the entire car and made some trim extensions in my molds out of pieces of sprue melted in liquid cement. The ones I had made out of 5 min. epoxy broke into little pieces.
I also spent a bit of time working on project #2.
My buddy got the doors and trunk cut out and sanded and the interior laid out for his 69 GTX.
Thanks for looking.
Edited by Modlbldr, 02 March 2013 - 06:22 PM.