Model Cars Magazine Forum

Black paint removal

The title says it all guys, I've left a 71 Challenger interior in Simple green, and the purple pond with no results and now it's soakin in 91% alcohol. If this doesn't work what will? I've found black paint, Gloss OR prime will not come off with the usual stuff(Easy off, PP,Simple Green) Whats in this stuff that makes it so hard to remove? I've got some "easy lift off" paint remover for model trains, so that's the next shot.Anyone gotta sure fire cure for removeing black paint????

Don't use Pine Sol! It will soften the plastic in my experience.

What type of paint was used, George? Lacquer, enamel, brand?? I have noticed black paint, both enamel and lacquer, is always left in the nooks and crannies when other colors around or over it have been removed.

Tony it is Purple Power or Super Clean. Two lye based cleaning solutions available in the automotive sections of most superstores or any auto parts store.

Brake fluid is the old standby but many have changed because disposal isn't as much of an issue.

WElp, I tried the ol Pine Sol trick an danged if it didn't work GREAT! I don't know if it makes a difference,Casey, but i used the new improved LEMON scented stuff. I gotta admit it sat in it for the last two days an it wrinkled up the paint and it just came rollin off! Hopefully, it din't seem to hurt the plastic or mess it up in any way. Now it's nice an clean!Maybe the newer plastic is a different "recipe" than the older MPC plastic, cause it seems ok. Thanks guys for ALL the help, and to Tulio for the Pine Sol tip!

Casey, was that a Revell part you stripped? I'm asking because they had that awful, soft, no-durability plastic about then.

AMT was also using some pretty crummy material, too.

The overseas production seems to prefer "non-spec" material that can lead to these problems.

Charlie Larkin

Don't use Pine Sol! It will soften the plastic in my experience.

What type of paint was used, George? Lacquer, enamel, brand?? I have noticed black paint, both enamel and lacquer, is always left in the nooks and crannies when other colors around or over it have been removed.

I had the same experience with a Lindberg kit some years ago. People laugh at Testors paint for never drying, but try to get their flat black off of styrene once it does...

I had the same experience with a Lindberg kit some years ago. People laugh at Testors paint for never drying, but try to get their flat black off of styrene once it does...

Yeah, i had a part with flat black on it for literally 2 days. It took two weeks plus to get that paint off, with soaking and scrubbing.

There is definitely something different about Testors' Flat Black spray paint. I haven't used it in many years, but it always sprayed so well out of the can, far better than their color enamels in spray cans.

I should have made the first sentence more emphatic. If you're thinking of using Pine-Sol to strip paint off a model, test it on an unused piece from the kit first. Luckily for me, the kit that was ruined wasn't anything I valued.

• 2 weeks later...

I've had the same problem lately with junk parts I bought off eBay. The black paint and some green paint just would not come off and I used easy Off oven cleaner, Simple Green, the Purple stuff, mineral spirits, acetone and finally laquer thinner still no removal. Luckily I didn't worry so much about the laquer thinner destroying the plastic as it was on parts I really didn't need.